DIY Guitar Messing About (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 53K
  • Watchers 4
i don't think it's worth the hassle - that's how the control plate arrived; the hole was 1cm or so closer to the selector switch than on the squier.

also, saw this video - and the volume knob and selector switch are also weirdly close together on this seemingly genuine fender? just seems like a strange design choice, you could accidentally foul on one control while operating the other.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

little bit of an issue discovered, a slight vibration in the guitar at certain notes. the obvious place to start is to tighten up the truss rod slightly, i suspect.

little bit of an issue discovered, a slight vibration in the guitar at certain notes. the obvious place to start is to tighten up the truss rod slightly, i suspect.

giving the truss rod a twist anticlockwise a good place to start. I put a dab of silicone at either end of the channel to cushion it a little.

I'd also check the screws on the tuners. and the bridge saddles - sometimes in adjusting you can end up with one of the height adjusting grub screws not bearing much weight, and they can rattle a tad.

is it audible when the guitar is amplified?.

cheers - turns out it was the truss rod. i knew it was ever so slightly loose, and had put just the tiniest bit of tension in it, just to snug it in place. perhaps when the strings finally went on, it pulled the neck *just* enough to release that tension? anyway, she's back sounding good again.

that was nightmare scenario for me - removing the fretboard and padding the truss cavity.
is it a bolt-on neck you have? if so, i suspect replacing the neck could be cheaper than paying someone to dismantle it and fix the truss rod?

cheers - turns out it was the truss rod. i knew it was ever so slightly loose, and had put just the tiniest bit of tension in it, just to snug it in place. perhaps when the strings finally went on, it pulled the neck *just* enough to release that tension? anyway, she's back sounding good again.

you can have upwards of 150lb pressure on a guitar neck when tuned, so it always pulls back a good bit.

You'll notice when restringing if you have the action set low, that some of the light strings will be rattling on the frets until the heavier strings tuned to pitch and the headstock pulled up.

that was nightmare scenario for me - removing the fretboard and padding the truss cavity.
is it a bolt-on neck you have? if so, i suspect replacing the neck could be cheaper than paying someone to dismantle it and fix the truss rod?

Unfortunately its set neck. Having other guitars doesn't have me in a hurry to fix it either

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back