DIY Guitar Messing About (5 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 2K
  • Views 55K
  • Watchers 4
should have read the specs before ordering! now i need two new drill bits.

• Axis: 6.35 mm
  • Bore: 8.5 mm

they also don't specify anywhere what the spacing is between them, so i'll have to assume it's standard 119mm or 120mm or so between first and last centre, and try that on a piece of scrap wood to confirm.

The axis is the shaft diameter I’m presuming- so you don’t need a bit for that
Try a 9mm bit and see will the bushing hold, just to make your life easier.
The centres for the holes should be standard,

yeah, i got a 5.5mm bit in goughs before, so they hopefully will have other half mm sizes.
just realised i also forgot to buy string ferrules. at least gear4music can get them to me in a couple of days with only €3 delivery.

Dunno if any of ye's were in the mood to look at that video about precision from a while back, but it was 100% news to me that inches as we know them have been entirely based on metric for a long time. madness.

routed out the neck pocket this evening, that was very nerve wracking. but it turned out better than i'd hoped, a nice tight fit. i did the dry run probably six times though. i'll need to fill that worm track though, that's annoying.

PXL_20230828_205225496.jpg

PXL_20230828_205545892.jpg

PXL_20230828_204849967.jpg

i'd spotted before that the curve of the body of a tele as it meets the underneath of the neck, continues as it 'appears' above the neck, so it's one of the reasons it looks nice and clean. but i only spotted last night that the curve of the bottom of the body (before it swings out to form the lower horn) also matches up with that curve. i wonder would it be possible to trace that across the body and neck for a future build? i'm not going to start trying to integrate that now.

yeah, highlight on the body with some relief, on the fretboard with some inlay?
though a relief cut on the body would mess with a standard scratchplate.

i'd spotted before that the curve of the body of a tele as it meets the underneath of the neck, continues as it 'appears' above the neck, so it's one of the reasons it looks nice and clean. but i only spotted last night that the curve of the bottom of the body (before it swings out to form the lower horn) also matches up with that curve. i wonder would it be possible to trace that across the body and neck for a future build? i'm not going to start trying to integrate that now.

I think the flow of lines on guitar shapes is like that a lot,and it plays into why not quite exact takes on a Tele or strat or possibly even Gibson's makes them not look right.

near gotcha here - i assumed the bridges were the same, and the footprint *is* almost identical, but you can see the saddles from the squier on the left are about 5mm longer than on the Göldo brand bridge i bought. i guess this means the bridge needs to sit 5mm closer to the nut, but that messes with the aesthetics ever so slightly.

PXL_20230829_154541985.jpg

near gotcha here - i assumed the bridges were the same, and the footprint *is* almost identical, but you can see the saddles from the squier on the left are about 5mm longer than on the Göldo brand bridge i bought. i guess this means the bridge needs to sit 5mm closer to the nut, but that messes with the aesthetics ever so slightly.

View attachment 17548
Not necessarily - the pickup should be in the same place - the bridges can move forward for intonation.

Measure 25.5” from the nut along the center line, draw a line at 90* across that point, and place bridge on that such that the high e string bridge saddle is on the line.

Then pop the pickguard on and see how it looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back