DIY Guitar Messing About (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 54K
  • Watchers 4
trying to jerry rig another thing i neglected to buy - fret marker dot rods. i tried a food skewer, and fitting them is simple, but there's not enough contrast between them and the fretboard wood. i found i had to seal them with superglue too before sanding - the dust from the darker wood was penetrating the endgrain and darkening it. i also even tried flour with superglue mixed in with it, but the flour seems (hydro?)phobic to the glue and it doesn't penetrate the glue successfully.

PXL_20230819_173531369.jpg

trying to jerry rig another thing i neglected to buy - fret marker dot rods. i tried a food skewer, and fitting them is simple, but there's not enough contrast between them and the fretboard wood. i found i had to seal them with superglue too before sanding - the dust from the darker wood was penetrating the endgrain and darkening it. i also even tried flour with superglue mixed in with it, but the flour seems (hydro?)phobic to the glue and it doesn't penetrate the glue successfully.

View attachment 17487

They are probably less essential than the ones on the fretboard face, so I think the level of contrast you have will be fine!

I was going to do what this lad does on this video - same size dots on the fretboard.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They are probably less essential than the ones on the fretboard face, so I think the level of contrast you have will be fine!

I'd have said the complete opposite. I only ever look at the side dots when playing and need a strong contrast to see them.

Some kinda white dust in the glue could work well. Bicarbonite soda is what the lads use for nut filling so maybe a white dust like that in the glue or a white stain on the skewer/dowels.

that was nice and quick! do you have any sort of template for the neck profile or do you just eyeball it?
It’s quick work, combining spokeshave and the rasp.
Eyeballing really, and just keeping an eye on the overall depth/thickness.
The scarf joint is handy in terms of keeping things symmetrical. Also with an acoustic instrument there is another bid of shaping as the fretboard goes on the neck after neck and body are fitted together, so a bit more to go
With a guitar sized neck making a simple profile gauge would be an idea alright.. what I’m working on is much narrower and shorter.
You could template off the neck you have already?

It’s quick work, combining spokeshave and the rasp.
Eyeballing really, and just keeping an eye on the overall depth/thickness.
The scarf joint is handy in terms of keeping things symmetrical.
Also with an acoustic instrument there is another bid of shaping as the fretboard goes on the neck after neck and body are fitted together, so a bit more to go.
With a guitar sized neck making a simple profile gauge would be an idea alright.. what I’m working on is much narrower and shorter.
You could template off the neck you have already?

yeah, i'd been looking into the superglue and baking soda idea, but the handy thing about a plastic rod is that it defines the shape of the dot; but glue and filler will fill pores, torn grain etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back