DIY Guitar Messing About (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 50K
  • Watchers 4
actually, don't go to any trouble on it - it's exceptionally easy to damage something when using a router with it, and i might just get impatient before it can be arranged anyway...

actually, don't go to any trouble on it - it's exceptionally easy to damage something when using a router with it, and i might just get impatient before it can be arranged anyway...

I wasn't planning to go to much trouble.

i managed to get the correct router bit in gough's and then copped since i now have profile bits with bearings at either end, i can use one to make a template from the kit body, and the second to rout out the new body with that template. so two stages where i can fuck up.

getting there - tried making a template from softwood, but it was too soft, then made one with oak, which is nearly right; doesn't matter with the pickup slots, but between making the template and transferring it back to a test piece of wood, the neck pocket is about half a mm too wide; doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference of a couple of inches of play at the head. but lining the inside of the template with multiple layers of masking tape seems to slim it down just enough.

getting there - tried making a template from softwood, but it was too soft, then made one with oak, which is nearly right; doesn't matter with the pickup slots, but between making the template and transferring it back to a test piece of wood, the neck pocket is about half a mm too wide; doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference of a couple of inches of play at the head. but lining the inside of the template with multiple layers of masking tape seems to slim it down just enough.

Better to have neck pocket a bit snug - particularly for a bolt on. Although a bit of play is needed when your aligning things

i decided to rout out both cavities for the pickups the same, for the large size one. the gap is not too obvious when the smaller one is in it, and making up a template to be precisely the right size would have been a lot of faff.

i decided to rout out both cavities for the pickups the same, for the large size one. the gap is not too obvious when the smaller one is in it, and making up a template to be precisely the right size would have been a lot of faff.

Yeah -a couple of mm isn’t noticeable. And as per the neck cavity you might be grad of a bit of wiggle room when you’re getting everything aligned

more progress. because i went in from behind, the last remaining piece of woodwork is to make a plate to cover the electronics hatch. bar that, it's a lot of sanding and then finishing. i managed to get all the holes drilled to run wires, i think.

PXL_20230211_222815772.jpg

more progress. because i went in from behind, the last remaining piece of woodwork is to make a plate to cover the electronics hatch. bar that, it's a lot of sanding and then finishing. i managed to get all the holes drilled to run wires, i think.

View attachment 16652

You’re putting me to shame :)
Lovely clean work

I have the thinking cap on. If I was making the neck too, I'd fit it and drill though the body into it. But the holes are already drilled in the neck, so I need to find a way to locate the holes correctly on the body. One train of thought is to cut the heads off some nails, for them into the holes with a mm or two sticking out, and press down on the body.

I have the thinking cap on. If I was making the neck too, I'd fit it and drill though the body into it. But the holes are already drilled in the neck, so I need to find a way to locate the holes correctly on the body. One train of thought is to cut the heads off some nails, for them into the holes with a mm or two sticking out, and press down on the body.

Fill holes in neck with glue and splinters, sand flat. use the neck plate as a guide for neck holes in the body first. It’s good to use a guide/drill block for these so they are as square as possible

Dry fit the neck, then use it to determine the true center line of the body. This will determine where you place the bridge. (That and the correct scale length from nut)

Once bridge is fitted, lightly clamp the neck in place and string up the high and low string. These will allow you to check allignment. If they’re a little off, try wiggling neck position until they are correct. Tighten clamp, flip over and drill holes into the neck.

Simples. Unless you fuck up second step

could do the pencil / paper trick. secure paper to neck, score over with pencil, scissors blue peter moment etc etc.

Looking for grain filler I see these guys now do lots of diy guitar stuff (including finishes) and quite a reasonable array of kits..

I’d be tempted by the acoustic believe it or not - just to understand how acoustic instruments go together…. With the exception of the sides it’s fairly full on diy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back