DIY Guitar Messing About (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 50K
  • Watchers 4
this seems to be the default woodworking thread, not just guitars; here's one thing i do with scraps of wood; be they old floorboards or window boards etc.
i make the bases and my wife turns them into bell jars using old jam jars and what have you.

small.jpg

we currently have a crow we found dead at the side of the road undergoing what you would call a natural process, in the back garden. will be a few months before that's ready.

They are beautiful - a few years back in my wet lab day they were throwing out old glassware - I made a lamp out of an old flask. I dare say you and your missus would have made good use out of some of what got chucked
IMG_6983.jpeg

On nationwide on rte1 now - they're visiting emerald guitars who make carbon fibre guitars. Should be able to get it on the +1 in an hour or so.
There's also a feature on woodturning, I'm told.

The amount of resin in the pine is insane. It’s practically weeping out of the cuts in some places. The yellow coating is rehardened resin and sawdust. Thankfully white spirit cleans it off.

IMG_7009.jpeg IMG_7010.jpeg

that already looks lovely.
i still have to get my arse in gear about starting a new build. was half tempted to be perverse and make a guitar with two necks; as in one neck pocket, but have two necks you can swap in and out. one normal meck and one with the eighth fret at the octave rather than the twelfth. just because.

neither do i, which is why i think i might try it.
or; i am railing against the tyranny that says you've 12 notes (or is it semitones?) in an octave.

ah you're talking about a microtone neck? Microtonal Necks

I have been tempted to bulid one of those at some point - actually the bouzouki I built recently might work for that as its a bolt on.

speaking of odd builds, I've been asked by a guy who bought a tenor guitar off me to build a cello tuned/scale guitar. it would be effectively a 4 string 27'' scale guitar tuned low CGDA. I'll probably use the same materials approach for the body as the one I'm working on now (mahog top on the pine bottom) if it works ok for this build.

oh, i did not know about those. is that the same fretting as on a dulcimer? a friend (the lad i built the tele for) has a dulcimer, was telling me about it.

but that's not what i meant; consider a normal guitar. the twelfth fret is halfway along the scale. i'd be considering making a neck where the fret at that same position is actually the eighth, so the frets are spaced more widely apart. i've done zero research into this idea, whether it'd be good or not. but whatever music you played on it would not be on the western scale.

oh, i did not know about those. is that the same fretting as on a dulcimer? a friend (the lad i built the tele for) has a dulcimer, was telling me about it.

but that's not what i meant; consider a normal guitar. the twelfth fret is halfway along the scale. i'd be considering making a neck where the fret at that same position is actually the eighth, so the frets are spaced more widely apart. i've done zero research into this idea, whether it'd be good or not. but whatever music you played on it would not be on the western scale.

no - not that I'm aware of. it's based more on non-western scales, so follows the way arab instruments are fretted, where they use what would be microtones in western music.

if you were spacing the frets so the 8th fret was at the 12th position, what you'd be doing in effect would be lengthening the scale, so if you tuned the strings as per normal you'd be effectively skipping notes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back