Disco Disco (1 Viewer)

redflaremist

Website
www.geocities.com
alright eirecore

just in case you didnt read the politics board:

Working Bee this Wednesday!

'Disco Disco' is organising an open 'Working Bee' this Wednesday night at 7pm.

What does this mean? Basically we are asking people to come down with paint, brushes, saws, workbenches, hammers, refuse bags, dust masks, and everything else you think you would need for renovating a premises.

Anything at all you have to donate to the collective would be greatly appreciated - including your time.

It's going to be dirty work; so bring old clothes and prepare to roll up your sleeves! We're going to be cleaning up rubbish, painting walls, repairing doors, and a variety of other messy but fun activities.

The Working Bee will also be a place to meet and get to know the people involved with the space.

'Disco Disco' is being set up as a social centre/autonomous zone/community space for the people of Dublin (and beyond!).

We will be encouraging different groups to utilise the space. Community organisations, activists, charities, collectives, music bands etc are all welcome to hold meetings and get togethers there.

If you can make it down there in the meantime to help out then please do.

'Disco Disco' is located at 41 Parnell Square West.

Hope to see you on Wednesday night

redflaremist said:
alright eirecore

just in case you didnt read the politics board:

Working Bee this Wednesday!

'Disco Disco' is organising an open 'Working Bee' this Wednesday night at 7pm.

What does this mean? Basically we are asking people to come down with paint, brushes, saws, workbenches, hammers, refuse bags, dust masks, and everything else you think you would need for renovating a premises.

Anything at all you have to donate to the collective would be greatly appreciated - including your time.

It's going to be dirty work; so bring old clothes and prepare to roll up your sleeves! We're going to be cleaning up rubbish, painting walls, repairing doors, and a variety of other messy but fun activities.

The Working Bee will also be a place to meet and get to know the people involved with the space.

'Disco Disco' is being set up as a social centre/autonomous zone/community space for the people of Dublin (and beyond!).

We will be encouraging different groups to utilise the space. Community organisations, activists, charities, collectives, music bands etc are all welcome to hold meetings and get togethers there.

If you can make it down there in the meantime to help out then please do.

'Disco Disco' is located at 41 Parnell Square West.

Hope to see you on Wednesday night

so im presuming this isnt happening what with the eviction and all that.
Thank you to everyone who said it wouldnt work, it's attitudes like that that make sure nothing ever will.

:confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was sure that it was the landlords goons/gardai's/capitalist systems fault that the house was evicted, not the jaded dispersions of negative comments from bitter old punks?

An awful shame, it got evicted it sounded like a great plan.
I wonder if the building was government/corporation owned would
the Gardai have a harder time evicting them. I saw this on the net that
in the early 1970s a law was passed to prevent homeless
families squatting in empty houses owned by private landlords.
But theres no real information on corporation owned buildings.

i guess it was a real achievement even with the eviction. it was bad luck that the eviction took place. supposedly the building had been in dispute between the county council and this guy who hadnt used it in like 11 years, and at pretty much the same time the building was opened it seems that the guy won back the building. i guess you gotta expect this type of retaliation tho, i mean you forcefully take someones building, your playing at warfare. doesnt mean its fair, i mean anyone can see that disco disco's adopted owners were going to create a much more worthwhile space than whatever money making scheme the 'rightful property owner' has in store, but thats no reason to give up on the idea or deem it useless and go around saying it wont work. weelers kinda right that if more folk put a little faith and a little less cynicism behind the people that are trying to keep fighting, maybee things would b a little easier. there were only five people inside the building when the 'landowners' and police were outside. maybee if more people saw that yes a space can be taken and used for good instead of being left derelict, and decided to help out next time, then perhaps if people tried to evict the squaters, there would be a shit load more people inside holding up the barriers.
the visitors taught a lot of useful information that will stay in dublin when they go. it can still happen. everyone that was involved did really fucking well, and to walk around that building, imagining the wonderfull things that could happen there, gave me shivers. it takes too long to sit around and wait for things to be handed to you the way you want, sometimes there is no other way but to go and take it. these people realised the need for a comunity space, including possible projects like info shop/library/cafe/food not bombs kitchens and many more posibilities. these people also realised the rediculuosness of the house prices/rental prices in dublin over the last few years. they saw the amount of buildings lying unused for years, beeing allowed to fall to shit, and the amount of spaces turned into money spinners for yuppies to play in. they researched and found a building that at the time of research was owned by the county council, with no future plan, and no past use in a number of years, and took it, like it was, and because it should be, theirs. dublin learned a lot thru one of its most worthwhile direct actions that i can remember. i hope the next one stays.

We talked to some people who said that in Finland they became involved in the squatting movement there two years ago when there were none at all there. The first one only lasted a few hours and the next one a few days. Now there are lots of them, and not just in Helsinki.
It might now be the attitudes of cynical punks that made it not work Lyncho but it kinda sucks when all you get is negitive feedback and disinterest.
Still lotsa people arent so cynical and it was amazing to even be able to wander around and imagine all the cool stuff we could have if we had a place.
next time...

all for me grog said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was sure that it was the landlords goons/gardai's/capitalist systems fault that the house was evicted, not the jaded dispersions of negative comments from bitter old punks?

of course it was the fault of the landlords etc, but the negative attitudes make it hard for ppl to believe in themselves.. y'know.

it's ok though why do we need squats here when we can all just run off to europe and leech off other ppls hard work.. (yes,myself included)

;) ;) ;)

mazzyianne said:
next time...

ab-ser-lute-ly. heard about discodisco and thought, 'yeah, must get down there tomorrow'. next thing i knew was a phonecall from treelo going 'get here now! police! argh!'

so if the next one lasts even, em, 3 hours longer than discodisco, i'll be able to make it and help out.

:)

I guess Im pretty bad at letting people know shit like this but theres a meeting tomorrow at 7 (trinity arch) and we have this list thingy and we need more people so please get in touch if ur into this idea, dont just wait til it happens and then help out
we have an email address now if anyone has any advice, information, ideas, suggestions, anything
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back