Digital Camera Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Wicker

Website
www.wickermusic.com
I'm going to get a digital camera for my better half but not knowing damn all about them ......... I'm open to suggestions.....

Any particular makes / Models popular with you guys ?

What should I really be looking for in a half decent camera ?!bing

Thanks in advance

Napalm said:
depends how much you love your other half :) you can get 4mpx for about 200 and fuji do a nice range and then again it depends on what he/she is using it for.
Here's some I took with a 2mgpx camera that you could get for about a one'r and that was a fuji as well.

http://www.bloodorwhiskey.ie/Ballymahon04/Ballymahon5.jpg

http://www.bloodorwhiskey.ie/Belguim2004/DSCF0025.jpg

Thanks for that......

Shall do a bit more searching.
Looking for about 4mpx with an Optical & Digital Zoom

She wouldn't be using it for anything in particular so it doesn't need to be top of the range

Wicker said:
I'm going to get a digital camera for my better half but not knowing damn all about them ......... I'm open to suggestions.....

Thanks in advance
before you get into the technicals you *HAVE* to check out the price comparison between high street shops and this place.......

www.technikdirekt.de

great site for excellent digital cameras + memory at 40% off dublin prices.

i got a camera which costs about 900e on grafton street for 550. fuck rip off ireland 'n' that.

www.dpreview.com does very detailed reviews. amazon.com reviews are great for digital camera reviews aswell. decide on a model based on your budget and try and get the most bang for your buck - and always choose the latest model over a model thats been on the market for a year or more. i've a canon G5 and its the tastiest piece of technology i've ever laid my hands on. cant go wrong with a canon in my opinion. their sure shot range for pocket digital cameras are meant to be the shit.

regarding megapixels. anything around 4 or 5 is more than adequate for your standard user. if she has ambitions towards publishing or amateur photography you could proly go a little higher.

Napalm said:
depends how much you love your other half :) you can get 4mpx for about 200 and fuji do a nice range and then again it depends on what he/she is using it for.
Here's some I took with a 2mgpx camera that you could get for about a one'r and that was a fuji as well.

http://www.bloodorwhiskey.ie/Ballymahon04/Ballymahon5.jpg

http://www.bloodorwhiskey.ie/Belguim2004/DSCF0025.jpg
heh. ballymahon. was at a gig there once aswell, the smell of the fuckers down there was something shockin.

Donkey OJ said:
before you get into the technicals you *HAVE* to check out the price comparison between high street shops and this place.......

www.technikdirekt.de

great site for excellent digital cameras + memory at 40% off dublin prices.

i got a camera which costs about 900e on grafton street for 550. fuck rip off ireland 'n' that.

www.dpreview.com does very detailed reviews. amazon.com reviews are great for digital camera reviews aswell. decide on a model based on your budget and try and get the most bang for your buck - and the latest model over a model thats been on the market for a year or more. i've a canon G5 and its the tastiest piece of technology i've ever laid my hands on. cant go wrong with a canon in my opinion.

Thanks a Million..
I'm reluctant to go to the high street shops cause I know I'll be screwed.

Thanks again... will check the links.|..|

Wicker said:

Thanks in advance

There are some good Sony cameras out there with carl zeiss lens and 3x optical zoom, I wouldn't be too bothered with the digital zoom, your better not using it anyway to be honest. Like you said, go for 4 MP so at least if you want to blow the picture up to a bigger size, it will hold a lot of it's resolution.:D

Get her a nikon D70, e815 with the kit lens and falling rapidly.

DSC_0200_web.jpg

For cheap Fuji cameras it's worth checking the refurbished ones on their site. http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/technical/refurb/
The only difficulty is you'll have to get a UK pal to pay and get it shipped to em.
A friend in Belfast ordered me a Finepix F700 and it's like new.
Argos Ireland: €550 Fuji refurbished: £140

Two handsome tabbys are facing off outside my window. Entertainment.

Try www.nomatica.com, I think they do camcorders also. Bought a phone from these guys and they were grand to deal with.
:)

swingkid said:
how about for mini dv camcorders?
any good sites?

had a sony dcr trv38, but it got destroyed recently...
thanks

when you get it, dont bring it onto the beach whilst drunk. it breaks them.

I most heartily recommend the Olympus Miu Mini, I picked up the Amorican version when i was over in Amorica.
You can get it here for about €360 (i paid about , uses xD ram, which is kind of hardish to find sometimes, but order it online.

nice features:
* you don't need to install drivers, it acts as a usb drive
(my old canon had to install a particular set of drivers, which were incompatible with my dad's ever so slightly different canon camera, and the software was total shite)

* mildy splashproof, you can use it safely in the rain, or in particularly sweaty nightclubs.

* looks nice, and fits extremely neatly in one's pocket.

* piss-easy to use

* 4Mpix, nice zoom, with digital zoom as well, which isn't actually all that bad (better than the old canon one)

* great battery life

* no limit on the buffer size for taking vids, which means with a 256mb card, you can take something like around an hour or more of video footage
(again, the maximum amount of continuous footage the canon could take was 30 sec, obviously saving the vid to cache memory and stopping recording when that's full and saving to the flash memory, which is like a totally bullshit way of doing it)

weird thing about it, there's no viewfinder. you frame the pic in the screen take the shot. very LOMO, if you like that. of course, these days with most consumer level cameras, no one really uses the viewfinder anyway.

Olympus-miu-mini-Front.jpg

Olympus-miu-mini-Back.jpg

Olympus-miu-mini-Palette.jpg

get the black one, the silver is boring, the white looks like a metallic iPod finish, but isn't actually that nice. the red looks rusty, the gold is very bling if you're Ali G, and the blue, while nice, won't go with those shoes and that necklace.

lmd64 said:
I most heartily recommend the Olympus Miu Mini, I picked up the Amorican version when i was over in Amorica.
You can get it here for about €360 (i paid about , uses xD ram, which is kind of hardish to find sometimes, but order it online.

nice features:
* you don't need to install drivers, it acts as a usb drive
(my old canon had to install a particular set of drivers, which were incompatible with my dad's ever so slightly different canon camera, and the software was total shite)

* mildy splashproof, you can use it safely in the rain, or in particularly sweaty nightclubs.

* looks nice, and fits extremely neatly in one's pocket.

* piss-easy to use

* 4Mpix, nice zoom, with digital zoom as well, which isn't actually all that bad (better than the old canon one)

* great battery life

* no limit on the buffer size for taking vids, which means with a 256mb card, you can take something like around an hour or more of video footage
(again, the maximum amount of continuous footage the canon could take was 30 sec, obviously saving the vid to cache memory and stopping recording when that's full and saving to the flash memory, which is like a totally bullshit way of doing it)

weird thing about it, there's no viewfinder. you frame the pic in the screen take the shot. very LOMO, if you like that. of course, these days with most consumer level cameras, no one really uses the viewfinder anyway.

Olympus-miu-mini-Front.jpg

Olympus-miu-mini-Back.jpg

Olympus-miu-mini-Palette.jpg

get the black one, the silver is boring, the white looks like a metallic iPod finish, but isn't actually that nice. the red looks rusty, the gold is very bling if you're Ali G, and the blue, while nice, won't go with those shoes and that necklace.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback...

Thanks Liam for the info on the above.... That actually looks like a tidy camera alright.... Rep all round

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back