Des Bishop (4 Viewers)

Mathatma Scarfe said:
Well it seems that the yanks are getting fed up with the work etic over there too

http://www.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2003-12-16-hours-cover_x.htm
That doesn't surprise me. A lot of things might be cheaper over there, but it doesn't seem to be worth it. My mom chucked in a really lucrative job that had her working 13-14 hour days, sometimes flying between LA, Chicago and New York in the same week, etc. She took about half the money at another job, and now she has a lot less money, but she at least has time to hang out. She's 61, but because the government squandered away everyone's pensions, she'll probably have to work until she's 70 unless my brother or I somehow come into huge sums of money. My sister-in-law currently works two full-time jobs and she and my brother are still barely scraping by.

Here's another fun fact: if you don't get a health plan as part of your terms of employment (which anyone outside of at least mid-level white-collar jobs would not), basic health insurance costs at least 400-500 dollars a MONTH, and that doesn't usually cover anything, just gives you the right to see a doctor if you need it. If you want a decent plan, that's well over 600 a month. You get amazing care, but jesus, it's not cheap if you have no insurance. I broke a tooth over Christmas and it cost me $450 to get it fixed.

Of course, social welfare, universal health care, humane working conditions and decent holiday time would turn us all into filthy pinkos, or worse, lazy Europeans who stand around and talk about froofy shit like film, music and art, and, well, we can't have that. No, keep 'em working and they'll be too tired to figure out they're being screwed.

Land of the free. Not that things are exactly rosy in Ireland -- far from it -- but still, at least people are seen as human beings and the majority of the budget isn't spent on 'defense'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back