Derrick Jensen (1 Viewer)

I didn't set out to blame you or anyone else for being consumers. Believe it or not I'm one of them as well. That's just the way things are and we can probably do fuck-all about it. I think the idea that we can live our current lifestyles after the revolution and share out the shitwork amongst ourselves seems to be vastly underestimating the amount of resources that we consume and the energy that goes into producing them. The whole point of ant-civ ideas is not that we should reform the systems of production to be more equitable, but that we need to dismantle them and try to learn how to live sustainably. Our consumption levels are way over what our level per capita should be, based even on the current exploitation of non-renewable resources. I don't know the figures for Ireland, but I think the US, is something like 25% of the world's energy for 2% of the population, and that's including massive swathes of poverty-stricken areas all over the US. As an island nation we import almost everything we consume. It seems to me we have lost the ability, both as individuals and as a society, to provide the bare essentials for life from our local environment. What's going to happen when the oil prices rise so much that the costs of imports are prohibitive for the majority of the people? To be sustainable for me doesn't mean still consuming the massive amount of crap that we still do but using solar power instead, it means learning to live a more basic way of life, and readjusting our levels of comfort to adapt to it. People can live sustainably in arctic climates so it should be possible here, but we might have fucked up our local environment too much at this stage for that to ever be feasible again, which means we're reliant on fucking up the environment in other parts of the world in order to get our precious consumer goods. Maybe the system will manage to prop itself up until long after I'm gone but you have to wonder about the future sometimes.
I never liked the education i was entitled to . It felt like thirteen years of indoctrination and spirit-crushing. No offence, I'm sure you help to create more free-thinkers in your line of work than I do working on a buiding site, but you got to admit the odds are stacked against you. Fuck the system.

believe me I'm not being a teacher out of some moralistic vocation - a job is a job to me and I need to work. Although education certainly is a socially useful job, as I currently experience working in it I don't really see the creation of many free-thinkers at all.

Regarding the technology thing, I think I've stated my position and the stuff you're on about seems more like an argument for an society based on need not profit, i.e. a non-capitalist society rather than some hippy anti-technology utopia, so I guess we're on the same wavelength somewhere.

I don't want to "reform the system of production", I'd rather the people that did the producing, i.e. most of the world took control of that shit and it was operation in the common interest to meet human needs and increase our happiness. I'm not about just the bare essentials, I'm about fuckin luxuries too!

u could all do with a good stint in the army. i knew home rule was a bad idea, was bound to create free thinking beatniks like yourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back