Derrick Jensen (1 Viewer)

love jones

hey dudes, anyone know or really like the stuff this guy does. I'm just asking cuz i'm trying to bring him over for a talking tour sometime in the future. Anyone who is in to Ecology, civilisation, writing or community buliding will really like him. he's got a few books that we used to have at Red Ink. Amazing stuff!
check out:
[SIZE=-1]www.derrickjensen.org[/SIZE]

xConorx said:
is that not some primitivist anti-civilisation ballicks or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

well, he's not 'ballicks'. he's not as extreme as some of the other lads like Zerzan. But if you haven't read him, don't be spreading bad words. it all seems like common sense to me, unless you are just all about working and fighting for some invented cause, or whatever.

love jones said:
hey dudes, anyone know or really like the stuff this guy does. I'm just asking cuz i'm trying to bring him over for a talking tour sometime in the future. Anyone who is in to Ecology, civilisation, writing or community buliding will really like him. he's got a few books that we used to have at Red Ink. Amazing stuff!
check out:
[SIZE=-1]www.derrickjensen.org[/SIZE]

You still got some, maybe i could buy em off you?
Or is all the stock gone?

Bring him over!

Word. Jensen is one of the best writers I have ever read. Every word he writes sounds like it's going exactly where he wants it to when he wants it to. Must do dome crazy amount of editing. Very exciting stuff. Kind of like the first time you listen to Crass and go, Fuck, Of Course. Or something....

after i read 'walking on water', i was waving my fist in the air in defiance, like i was at a gig or something. The ending of every paragraph was like the end of a deadly rocking song.

I honestly think what he is doing is 'now' and effects everyone and everything. Even if you just love all the WSM type politics, it's still worth your while. i hate the 'slander' term - 'primitivist'. Like it's just some dumb thing. there is a lot more to Ecology than that. Not just a bunch of 'looneys' blowing up cities. if they really were all liie that (grenn anarchist, ets), The few insane attacks from mother nature of recent, tsunami, katrina etc, should have beena celebrating for them. Technically.

Derrick jensen uses a computer, he uses a phone, he uses air planes - see, he's not evil.

october would be great, but i'm just checking to make sure it's not just me and Sean who likes em.

love jones said:
well, he's not 'ballicks'. he's not as extreme as some of the other lads like Zerzan. But if you haven't read him, don't be spreading bad words. it all seems like common sense to me, unless you are just all about working and fighting for some invented cause, or whatever.
Oh yeah I'm all about working. "Invented cause", eh, wha?

More recently Derrick Jensen in an interview from Issue #6 of The 'A' Word Magazine[ ] said civilization “needs to be actively fought against, but I don’t think that we can bring it down. What we can do is assist the natural world to bring it down…. I want civilization brought down and I want it brought down now.”
Post from WSM member's article on libcom.org/forums .

If that is a taster of what Jensen's about then it seriously is daft. If he wants to bring down civilisation then fuck him off to some hippy reserve while the rest of us chill with our dvds and hoverboards;)

thanks. some of the people on that fourm are intense. Dude! generic arguments i reckon. i also love DVDS, but i would not dismiss someone who thought i was looney for wanting 'stuff'. Entitled to their opinion and all that.

why wouldn't you dismiss them? If you want dvds then enjoy them!
Of course they're entitled to their opinion, but if it's in the public forum then we're all entitled so say it's bollocks if we think so and not use it as a basis to solve our existing problems. Personally I think that anti-civilisation stuff has zero to offer in terms of increasing human happiness.

Not having a go at you like, just saying why I think that stuff's a bit daft.

I rekon the anti0civilisation stuff is weird too. But i still sold green anarchy magaizne in my book shop. I do enjoy my dvds and my computer and im trying to buy a car right now. it's derick jensen i like. i woulden't think he was important if it was such a struggle to keep stuff green. For example; Two community grdens in Dublin have been taken over and closed down. it's a struggle and if you can make pretty things happed in the city, then your doing alright.

I reckon bring him, I think anything that gets a bit of discussion and debate going can't be a bad thing.
I'd be really interested to hear it anyways.

On a not-really-but-kind-of related note, I was looking at pictures of that weekend in the woods thing on indymedia. it looks like it could be fun. I just don't know if I could handle the kind of people I imagine would go to it...
I'd love to learn some blacksmithing and longbow-making

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/75955

edit: actually i know some of those people. oops.

love jones said:
i hate the 'slander' term - 'primitivist'. Like it's just some dumb thing. there is a lot more to Ecology than that. Not just a bunch of 'looneys' blowing up cities. if they really were all liie that (grenn anarchist, ets), The few insane attacks from mother nature of recent, tsunami, katrina etc, should have beena celebrating for them. Technically.
hmm, sounds a bit like those loonies the believers in home and away that are trying to brainwash tasha so she can bear the divine child of the cult leader's son. they eat lentils and reject patriarchy (seriously), clearly sandal-wearing lentil-eaters are insane and dangerous people.

mazzyianne said:
On a not-really-but-kind-of related note, I was looking at pictures of that weekend in the woods thing on indymedia. it looks like it could be fun. I just don't know if I could handle the kind of people I imagine would go to it...
will it involve morning circles and non-threatening hand signals as a means of communication?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back