Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (2 Viewers)

hey, thought this might be of interest to some of you:

this monday (the 15th) RAG are organising a discussion/workshop on mental health. RAG are an anarcha-feminist group who have written a magazine called RAG and are having open discussions on various issues. this is the first open discussion.

it will be a general dialogue about mental health and illness and what it means in a world that is obviously insane.

seomra spraoi,
6 lower ormonde quay,
ring bell that says seomra,
8:30pm

Can anybody who has any knowledge of PTSD please PM me? I'd like a chat, but need to keep this as private as possible. I'm a bit concerned about a friend's brother.

Thanks in advance.

Indeed, but sure wasn't that the point? I think a lot of people found that program helpful. Kind of puts things in a different light. I think I find him funnier now for some bizarre reason. More self-deprecating.

Indeed, but sure wasn't that the point? I think a lot of people found that program helpful. Kind of puts things in a different light. I think I find him funnier now for some bizarre reason. More self-deprecating.

Bit close to the bone to be honest as I exhibit not entirely dissimilar behaviour but somewhat comforting because it's nowhere near the level of the people on that programme.

i think it was fantastic show. showed people that they aren't weirdos and they are not alone. life is not always sunny and the more shows that face up to that in a helpfull n-condesending way the better.

dear folks. this is a great thread, but it's primarily for people who suffer from or have suffered from depression. can i ask does anyone have any first hand tips on how to cope with someone close to them suffering from depression. is there any way to help them, even down to little things like mix cd's, books, presents or bigger things like how to approach it, when to back off things of that nature.
cheers folks.

I mentioned a great book a while back which has a chapter just about that. It's called "Depression - The Common Sense Approach" by Tony Bates. There'sa chapter in it which explains it for you and what to do, or not as the case may be.

http://www.gillmacmillan.ie/Ecom/Li...51DF82933BBD5EDA80256AE00037369F?OpenDocument

Best intro to the subject, if you ask me. Has helped a lot of people I know.

One thing. No matter what; it is not your fault.

Also, this one was found really helpful by someone close to me at the time:
http://www.aware.ie/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=38

Specifically written for family and friends. It's more of a pamphlet. You can get it from any Aware shop.

thanks goff. i read the tony bates book already and found it very helpful alright. i actually got it from your previous post. thanks dude.

Thats really good ive been meaning to get my hands on one of those zines for a while now hope it goes well pitty there is nothing like that in Drogheda I started having anxiety attacks about 7 months or so ago and up untill about 6 weeks ago i couldnt even leave the house on my own find it hard to travel aswell slowly getting thier but i found just tlkin to other people about it rather than trying to hide does you wonders.
hey, thought this might be of interest to some of you:

this monday (the 15th) RAG are organising a discussion/workshop on mental health. RAG are an anarcha-feminist group who have written a magazine called RAG and are having open discussions on various issues. this is the first open discussion.

it will be a general dialogue about mental health and illness and what it means in a world that is obviously insane.

seomra spraoi,
6 lower ormonde quay,
ring bell that says seomra,
8:30pm

was wondering if anyone tryed this http://www.thelindenmethod.co.uk/
i was considering this as im running out of ideas and apart from counselling i dont know what else to try to sort these panic attacks ive done everything the doctors have said and altough i have improved they are still very much controling my life.
I want to avoid medication at all costs

how come you want to avoid medication? i'm no expert and i've never suffered personally froom panic attacks or depression, but isn't medication along with counselling etc thought to be a good way to treat it?

No not really coz medication isnt a solution and its highly addictive i dont want to replace one problem with another and anyway my doc wont give it to me so ive no other choice but to suffer through it without.
Ive been told by a few people I should change doctors but im not sure ive had the same doctor since i was a fetus so...

you may find CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) helpful, although it is often used in conjunction with medication. another possibility is NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) hypnotherapy, which is often very helpful and efficent in the treatment of anxiety.

st. johns wort has similar effects to SSRI anti-depressants, and if they are to be used it should be in same way.

valerian root in large doses has similar effects to benzodiazapiem tranquilizers such as valium, albeit to a weaker degree.

i must state however that, as with any mind-altering substances, the effects of these can vary - to often remarkable degrees - for each individual. i cannot stress enough the importance of researching any substances that one is considering using. also one must act very cautiously. simply because something is natural and not in chemical form doesnt mean its automatically safe.

medication isn't always highly addictive.

true, however benzodiazapiems such as valium, xanax, temazipam and ativan are perscriped for panic attacks and anxiety disorders, and these drugs are highly addictive, both psychologically and physically. i am not, of course, saying that they are bad: in fact the can really help many people, but utmost care should be observed regarding their use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back