Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (4 Viewers)

dear thumped,

any suggestions on pushing yourself back off the edge of depression? the small stuff.

i've been more or less constantly sick for the last while and am a few days off exams, so i kind of understand why i feel like doing nothing other than staying in bed all day and crying and watching murder she wrote, but i know from before that this feeling doesn't usually just pass when the cause goes away. i don't have enough time pre-exams for baking/long walks/healthy food/art projects, the usual things i'd try, but will get to them next, and no amount of hugs seems to be cutting it. just need to get through another week.

(i've been on medication before and know it's not what i need right now, but will see how it goes.)

p.s. missed most of the stephen fry thing and am downloading it now, so, cheers pete.

dear thumped,

any suggestions on pushing yourself back off the edge of depression? the small stuff.

i've been more or less constantly sick for the last while and am a few days off exams, so i kind of understand why i feel like doing nothing other than staying in bed all day and crying and watching murder she wrote, but i know from before that this feeling doesn't usually just pass when the cause goes away. i don't have enough time pre-exams for baking/long walks/healthy food/art projects, the usual things i'd try, but will get to them next, and no amount of hugs seems to be cutting it. just need to get through another week.

(i've been on medication before and know it's not what i need right now, but will see how it goes.)

p.s. missed most of the stephen fry thing and am downloading it now, so, cheers pete.

I dunno, maybe try just really letting yourself cry properly for a while. Treat yourself to it, in fact. You obviously need a good cry because you need a good break, because you're under a lot of pressure, and the more you bottle it up, the bigger it will seem when it finally comes out. So sit around and feel sorry for yourself, and watch Murder, She Wrote (I:heart: this), and take a bit of time out to just feel like shit, and know that you won't always feel like shit. I know you need to get lots of stuff done, but the thing is, if you keep trying to push yourself and push yourself and deny yourself the break you clearly need, you won't have either.

Seriously, take it from someone who learned the bloody hard way. I had to take several MONTHS off where I could only function at the most basic level, when if I'd actually cut the crap and stopped trying to pretend I was tougher than everything, and took the time out, it would not have been so shit. And when I say 'time out', I don't mean just crying and watching DVD while secretly beating yourself up for not doing work, I mean absolutely using what little energy isn't watching Jessica Fletcher sashay around the gaff to say FUCK WORK. If it helps, tell one of your tutors or something that you're taking a few days off, and that way, it can feel a bit more like a 'sanctioned' break, and may make it easier for you.

You can also come here if you want and chill out and study. I have to be here all weekend, and a change of scenery sometimes helps. Plus, I have cookies. I know they might not help, but I swear, they won't hurt (unless I bake knives into them, which I promise not to do).

dear thumped,

First off, I've not been reviewing this thread, so sorry if someone has already suggested it...

One quickie thing you can do (considering you're on a bit of a deadline) which I personally find really beneficial and clears my head and was recommended to me by a cousellor: Write a list of what is possibly making you unhappy and a list of things which make you happy or things which would make you happy. It's helpful to see things written down and simplified like that, so that everything doesn't seem so overwhelming and you can take it one thing at a time.

I've been in your position and I know that there can be nothing anyone can say or suggest, but I hope this helps x

First off, I've not been reviewing this thread, so sorry if someone has already suggested it...

One quickie thing you can do (considering you're on a bit of a deadline) which I personally find really beneficial and clears my head and was recommended to me by a cousellor: Write a list of what is possibly making you unhappy and a list of things which make you happy or things which would make you happy. It's helpful to see things written down and simplified like that, so that everything doesn't seem so overwhelming and you can take it one thing at a time.

I've been in your position and I know that there can be nothing anyone can say or suggest, but I hope this helps x

Yeah. I suppose you can't quite say FUCK WORK, so maybe try what Zita suggests.

Also, because my whole stressout bonanza involved a lot of external factors, and I was actually really psyched and bouyant for the months I took off because those external factors were not there, my situation -- and therefore my advice -- might not really be the same as yours. Still, it sounds like you need a break.

I know you need to get lots of stuff done, but the thing is, if you keep trying to push yourself and push yourself and deny yourself the break you clearly need, you won't have either.

cheers, this is true. frustrating that it's usually at the busiest time that the cracks start to show. (and, mmm, serrated cookie crumbs.

thank you, that sounds nice and simple.

:heart:, in general.

carbide!
'Tis a depressing time of year with so little daylight to go around and all the jingle bells happy family bullshit rammed down our throats. A small suggestion I'll give you is to restructure your days to allow time of in the daylight and then go outside and soak it up as best you can through all the clouds. I know it can be really hard to force yourself to do things at times like these so just dig deep and push yourself out the door. It's not cold and raining out, you're just not wearing the right clothes. I'd also suggest getting some exercise. Even five minutes stretching in the privacy of your own room can get the blood flowing a bit and wake you up.I used to work in a basement one winter and didn't see daylight all week and it really fucked with me. I'm not suggesting it's anything as simple as this but if you put a few of these small changes into place they can really make a difference and get your mind pointed in a different direction. Everyone's unique and has different needs so often it's a matter of trial and error. Your circumstances also change day by day so things that used to cheer you up like eating a load of chocolate or whatever might not work now and this can make you feel even worse because you think 'this used to work and now it doesn't, this must be really bad' when it's possibly just different and needs different tools to deal with it.

Electronic hugs from across the oceans:heart:

dear thumped,

Carbide - something you know yourself and which is true is that nothing stays the same - it feels like you'll never recover when it's happening but you have to trust that the next day you'll feel differently (even if only slightly) so one of the things I tell myself to get through bad bouts is to promise myself that things will get better, because they can't remain static. And I'm only now coming up out of the worst bout I've ever had (after a year and a half) and I even can't believe how much better I feel recently. The doctor said to be about 10 months ago, 'you've been well before, and you'll be well again', and she was right, though it was hard to believe it at the time. And it'll be the same for you.

One of the best things you can do is go out and get some exercise. Of course, as you say yourself, you don't feel like it. But force yourself to do it. Not only will the endorphins kick in, but psychologically you'll feel better for having done it.

Take one of the strolls on your deadly map. Even if you've done it loads of times before.

Try not to drink alcohol (or go easy if you do). It's counter-productive.

And don't eat to cheer yourself up, because it'll have the opposite effect. Eat healthily.

Don't underestimate the power of those hugs.

Know there are people who care about you.

The light levels are pretty low this time of year. But it doesn't last long. Maybe think about getting a daylight bulb for some of your rooms. They don't last as long as normal bulbs but they do make a difference. It's a whole different quality to the light.

Yeah, I find watching my alcohol intake really helps. Like, I can pretty much gauge when it's 'safe' to drink, and I get pissed only extremely rarely. Partly it's because my aging sack of bones can't take the hangovers anymore, but also because it aggravates any low moods I might have (my body and especially my brain also handle it differently depending on where I am in my cycle.) But anyway, I know you're not a big drinker, so that probably isn't very relevant to you.

Definitely getting enough sleep. Seriously, if you're tired and have the choice between two extra hours of study and two hours of sleep, take the sleep. You'll process and retain more when you're rested, and you'll feel more resilient generally.

It sounds all 'sher t'will be grand', but shit like getting exercise, getting sleep, eating properly (including making sure you feed yourself nice things that make you feel good), and having chats and hugs, they're all going to help you feel more positive in general, and whether or not you're getting treatment in addition to this, will help you, if not feel well again, feel like you eventually can feel well. And even that is a step in the right direction.

Also, looking up pictures of baby otters on the internet got me through many a long, dark stretch.

"The question many people will ask is whether oral sex could have the same mood-enhancing effects. "Since the steroids in birth control pills survive the digestion process, I would assume that the same holds true for at least some of the chemicals in semen," Gallup says.

Translate: blow jobs are good, for everyone.

Ive decided that no one will be depressed in 2007, i fucking promise no one will be, and we can have a mass burning of all things shit like prozac and valium and xanax, and we can throw the fat psyciatrist from Ely house in wexford on top, and watch his burberry clothes burn? any one up for this?

I'm going to be helping out with the creation of a website that deals with the issue of depression in Ireland. Having far too much firsthand experience with the subject matter, it feels a bit strange to be involved with such a project.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on what kind of content they'd like to see on a site that helps people cope with depression and suicide and the likes, give me a pm. Also if you've found any websites that have helped you cope with depression, send em on to me for a looksie.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back