Definitely not a Betty Windsor thread (1 Viewer)

Nearly every news outlet inc. all the international 24 news channels are going big on QE2's death.
She got full front page photos on The Guardian and FT.

Things have rarely if ever, been worse with so many horrible things happening that news bulletins can't begin to cover them all.
Now for maybe a week, nothing will get reported properly and loads bad news will get buried.

The Pakistan flooding disaster, Ukraine, energy crisis, food shortages, climate change all gone off the radar.
Never mind Syria, Yemen, multiple droughts and famines and hundreds other disasters, with far worse pending

I was at the Bord Gàis theatre last night and they asked for a minutes silence. They had the Irish cast member read out the request and lead the silence, and her hands were shaking the whole time. It was as a tad tense.

the most tragic thing of all about the old lady dying is that I can't find a way to make it be about me
I get you, man
But the amount of tone-policing going on from Irish establishment figures is massively noticeable

Listen to LiveLine right now and it's not quite as fawning as the BBC, but not far off. Unlistenable.

I get this sense - and I might be imagining it - that there are people embarrassed by anyone who would show us up in front of the English. That to be anything other than regarding English royalty as wonderful is to be unevolved and backward.

But yeah, there's been a lot of takes. But it's arguably the biggest death of the 21st century so far.

I have had about the best day in a while and I am sorry it's about some nonagenarian shuffling off, but it's been surreal

I got a text from a friend this morning telling me "Jedward are openly making jokes about the dead queen"
And I chuckled for 2 minutes just at the sentence

The world is a fucking hilarious place
And we are deluded to think we can bring order to it or make sense of it

Just enjoy every moment you get to breathe air

I get you, man
But the amount of tone-policing going on from Irish establishment figures is massively noticeable

Listen to LiveLine right now and it's not quite as fawning as the BBC, but not far off. Unlistenable.

I get this sense - and I might be imagining it - that there are people embarrassed by anyone who would show us up in front of the English. That to be anything other than regarding English royalty as wonderful is to be unevolved and backward.

But yeah, there's been a lot of takes. But it's arguably the biggest death of the 21st century so far.
after Bowie and Leonard Cohen

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back