Deep thoughts by Jack Handey (1 Viewer)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Warning: this post will not make much sense. Jumbled. Random. Thoughts. Do what you will with this thread.

I ordered some DVDs a few weeks back. I’m really not one to collect movies but I wanted to see some things that reminded me of times in the past. A little bit of home, if you will. Something that would make me laugh so hard my stomach would hurt.

These last couple weeks have been grueling. Hiding at home, no internet (which is a good thing because it stops me from sending things that later I’d wished I hadn’t) and I've been almost like in a trance. Monday I watched the entire 3 season of Lost while ironing every piece of clothing I owned from my closet. It was like 16 hours of ironing and watching, what the fuck?

So today:

Beautiful weather.
Mailbox has a package slip.
I count the last bit of change in my wallet and it’s exactly the amount of the coffee I get.
No line at coffee stand.
I was one stamp away from a free coffee on my card and the guy said hello (as if he remembered me) and gave me two stamps, so it ended up being free.
Walking to pick up my package in Parnell Square and a Guinness truck drives by. The two guys in the truck wave and say hello. I wave back.
It’s funny what cheers one up. Packages. Free coffee. Waves from strangers.

So on my walk back I was thinking that maybe I look really good despite feeling like crap. The weather is nice so I wore a dress. Or maybe it's the shiksa effect? I know the term is meant for a non-jewish woman but you’ll get the point. It made me think of someone once saying I didn’t look Irish. Well, I’m not Irish but I still don’t get how someone “looks (or doesn’t for that matter) Irish.” Now maybe it’s because I come from a very small country town and haven’t had many interactions (prior to moving here) with people from other countries to notice subtle differences.

A friend said he could tell while on holiday what people walking down foreign streets were Irish. Can you all do this? Without someone speaking (and sometimes even then) I wouldn’t be able to tell nationalities based on subtle features. It’s not as if I am wearing shorts or a baseball cap, so without talking loudly on my mobile, how would someone know I was American and not Irish?

Maybe I should exploit this more.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hooray for good days, Jack Handey

and

Stuart Smalley

0440504708.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ha! SNL at one time did have its moments. Without a doubt, Sprockets might have been my favorite bit. The game show one where guests put everything into right angles. It still makes me giggle.

dieter7.jpg

I lived in San Francisco for about a year and thought I was pretty good at recognising Irish people without hearing them speak. It was something about their stooped posture or loping walk coupled with a dress-sense that didn't include dockers or baseball jackets.

I was usually sitting in Paddy McGinty's Bar at the time.

I lived in San Francisco for about a year and thought I was pretty good at recognising Irish people without hearing them speak. It was something about their stooped posture or loping walk coupled with a dress-sense that didn't include dockers or baseball jackets.

I was usually sitting in Paddy McGinty's Bar at the time.

Strange. I don't get it but if it works in my favor, I'll go with it.

Nah it was the terrible teeth that made me presume a person was Irish.
I dunno-it's all bluff and guessing. I don't think there's any innate way of recognising a compatriot.

Canadians eyes are usually a little closer together than Americans, right?

I always find it's the slapped cheeks and the look of being lost that allows me to recognise a bogger abroad.

Its easy to spot a fellow mick abroad. They're always the ones who step in fresh dogshite seconds before entering carpeted premises.

I always find it's the slapped cheeks and the look of being lost that allows me to recognise a bogger abroad.

I think it's in the way people carry themselves. Last time I was in New York I was on the sub way with my ex, she's an American and I pointed over to a guy in the carriage and whispered to her that I thought he was English. Getting off the train we heard him speaking and he was. She asked me how I knew and I wasn't able to explain it.

I think it's in the way people carry themselves. Last time I was in New York I was on the sub way with my ex, she's an American and I pointed over to a guy in the carriage and whispered to her that I thought he was English. Getting off the train we heard him speaking and he was. She asked me how I knew and I wasn't able to explain it.

Shaved head, short-sleeved Ben Sherman in -4 degrees of cold?

And bad teeth in New York.

Until quite recently it was easy to distinguish the Irishman abroad as they all had the same haircut. Short back and sides. But they're getting adventurous now. I notice the Limahl-from-Kajagoogoo is back in fashion again with the young fellas.

I'm good at spotting Brits, in fact I could probably give you their post codes just by looking at them.

That looks like it's veering off the road and about to plummet hundreds of feet down onto jagged rocks, killing nearly everone on board while the few survivors drown horribly as the jagged paddywagon remains descend mercilessly into the icy abyss below, bringing what little life is left on it to a miserable and terrifying end.

Great picture. Rep for you.

That looks like it's veering off the road and about to plummet hundreds of feet down onto jagged rocks, killing nearly everone on board while the few survivors drown horribly as the jagged paddywagon remains descend mercilessly into the icy abyss below, bringing what little life is left on it to a miserable and terrifying end.

Great picture. Rep for you.

::clef::We are the self preservation soci-et-y!::clef::

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back