David Bowie returns (4 Viewers)

My Bowie knowledge is dreadful, pretty much just the big hits and, for some reason, Lodger. I might get the new compilation that's out next week actually, remedy the situation.

I've never done too well with compilations. Consider 'station to station' (sorta 'mature' sound), hunky dory for extreme bowieness. 'Low' is my faves, the time sorrounding 'low' is mad

--> Bowie Golden Years : 1976

I've never done too well with compilations. Consider 'station to station' (sorta 'mature' sound), hunky dory for extreme bowieness. 'Low' is my faves, the time sorrounding 'low' is mad

--> Bowie Golden Years : 1976
Was that his "I don't remember making that album" period?

I've heard Hunky Dory and it didn't do much for me at the time. That was one of the reasons I got Lodger now that I think of it, with Adrian Belew and the generally art-funkiness of it all it kind of sounds like Talking Heads; I figured it'd a bit more accessible to me than some of his other ones.

Was that his "I don't remember making that album" period?

I've heard Hunky Dory and it didn't do much for me at the time. That was one of the reasons I got Lodger now that I think of it, with Adrian Belew and the generally art-funkiness of it all it kind of sounds like Talking Heads; I figured it'd a bit more accessible to me than some of his other ones.

Sorta - he's kinda coming off stuff through that period. He'd basically just spent a month with iggy pop. To think he wrote china girl and sound and vision within 3 months is sorta unreal to me.

Sorta - he's kinda coming off stuff through that period. He'd basically just spent a month with iggy pop. To think he wrote china girl and sound and vision within 3 months is sorta unreal to me.
haha, that stuff happens with Prince all the time. "He'd written and recorded the entire of Around the World in a day before he'd even released Purple Rain? FFS"

How do you rate that list?

I've seen a few similar prince lists and they are usually terrible

Ziggy/Low/Heroes all joint first for me.

Hunky Dory isn't strong enough throughout to be at a number 2.

It's been a while since i listened to it, but I thought Lets Dance got unlisten-to-able after the first 3 songs. (Plus Iggy's China Girl is better.)

My Bowie knowledge is dreadful, pretty much just the big hits and, for some reason, Lodger. I might get the new compilation that's out next week actually, remedy the situation.
The new comp is deadly; I opted for the 3CD one, and I'm tempted to get at least one of the vinyl versions, just to have. It's a very definitive collection, bang up to date and I like the reverse chronology approach.

I wouldn't be a Bowie expert but it seems quite accurate, Hugh?

I'm not that up with the post-1980s stuff so couldn't really make that call but it seems reasonable enough for all the pre-80s stuff. I do agree that Tonight is rubbish.

I was listening to the new comp the other day (reverse chronology) and I think it really confirms that The Next Day (and that new Sue song) is way better than anything he's been doing for a long long time. I really hope he makes another album soon.

Wooaaah, Wooaaah, Wooaaah!!! Reality at no.10!!! Higher than Diamond Dogs????!!
Reality is one of Bowie's worst albums, absolute muck! Its belongs back near 18. Also any of his mid 70's albums belong in the top ten, not outside it. Who made this list? They made a right Pigs mickey of it.

Let's Dance only has three good songs on it, the first three, the rest is muck.

Diamond Dogs is almost all deadly but there are a few gammy bits.

I'd vote like this (at the moment)

1: Station to Station / Low
2: Scary Monsters
?: everything else, what ever

I was reading that 25 albums article and it struck me that as far as number 10 it's more or less making excuses for Bowie being crap. Anyone think that Bowie is overrated and probably less than half of his output is worth bothering with?

Nah, I think that he just set the bar so high in the 70s that anything else he does that is less than brilliant seems disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back