David Bowie returns (3 Viewers)

reminds me of this

not_available.jpg

2002's Heathen was deadly. Best since 1980.

I just got that recently. I didn't keep up with Bowie post 86/87 but recently I got pressies of Outside, Heathen and All Saints.
I'm not won over by Heathen yet, some good songs, but some dross on it too. Outside has really surprised me, and it grows on me with every listen. If you leave aside the "hyper-real song-story" bullshit, the songs are actually really really strong. Produced by Eno too.

All Saints is a great listen also; Selections of his instrumental music compiled. Nice for late night chilling.
I'll remain optimistic that his newbie will be a goodie, though I'm a bit worried about the"rock" album that Visconti has flagged up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jan/12/david-bowie-how-made-next-day

I'm slightly bemused by the amount of hype about this. I suppose he's worked the system perfectly, but I've friends on Facebook who'd own nothing more than an .mp3 set of his Best Of, frothing about a new Bowie song like it's the greatest thing ever that he's "back". I've not heard anything interesting from him since his 80s stuff and his drum and bass stuff in the 90s was pathetic. Little Wonder. Still makes me chuckle that one. He was good in Zoolander, that's about it.

And then you've a lengthy article like the one linked there. Christ above, is the music scene that desperate that an elderly man who was good in the 70s, warbling something vaguely nice and well recorded and released by surprise is the most exciting event in months?

I mostly agree with what you're saying there but I refuse to stop enjoying this turn of events.

My last fm thing says I've just listened to Bowie's John, I'm Only Dancing but I haven't. Thats some crazy cosmic jive going on there.

I kinda like this tune

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nothing David Bowie will ever do in the future will ever be judged on it's own merits anyway. Everything is judged against the standards of "David Bowie rock god" rather than David Bowie songwriter. So there is no way anything he can do now will ever have the same impact as it might have in the 70s so he's fucked in that regard. I don't think the new single is up to much, I liked Heathen but didn't love it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jan/12/david-bowie-how-made-next-day

And then you've a lengthy article like the one linked there. Christ above, is the music scene that desperate that an elderly man who was good in the 70s, warbling something vaguely nice and well recorded and released by surprise is the most exciting event in months?

""We haven't seen this before, a real legend dropping the announcement, the music, the photographs, everything in the blink of an eye," says Tim Ingham, editor of music industry magazine Music Week." Thanks, Tim! Must remember to renew my subscription to Music Week...

I thought this song was stinky at first, but im a big fan now.

It's great to have a 66 year old Bowie releasing new music. People that grew up with him must have shit themselves at this news. What have i got, thom york releasing an album with Flea.

byron coley said:
If you're gonna be a style proselytizer, wouldn't it be sensible to at least pick/choose a good style to promote? Yeah, it would. But Bowie's so feeble-minded and has so little conviction in his beliefs that he's always prepared to hop on the next bandwagon that promises to have an extensive dress code. You can call that progress and exploration if you will, but I'll call it the vacillation of a man who has no center. Davie's a swirling black hole that you've deigned to place near the center of the musical universe and his voracious appetite's already sucked much light outta the sky. "His master's voice" robbed Iggy of his juice much more efficiently than years of heroin addiction could; Lou Reed's official break with the legacy of the Velvets (Transformer) was so effectively nambified that it's taken him over a decade to even begin shaking off its cutesy-pie dynamics; and what about Hunt Sales?

http://timnapalmblog.blogspot.ie/2011/09/real-life-book-reviews-3-byron-coley.html

time for this?

http://timnapalmblog.blogspot.ie/2011/09/real-life-book-reviews-3-byron-coley.html

time for this?

Jesus. That dislike is not aimed at you so much as the intro to that tune. It sounds like this

I re-remembered a lot of his albums are on Youtube in full. So hard to pick a favourite, Hunky Dory shades it tonight. Some of it is naive, but that adds to its magic.

Another new song

catchy enough I suppose, the intro promises a bit more than the song delivers. amusing video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back