Damien Dempsey (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 90
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 7
i heard that the frames were on the telly over the weekend and they played a cover of love will tear us apart...
so glad i didn't see that...

somedaysbetter do a cover of transmission on their new cd
bedhead done a cover of disorder
girls against boys done a cover of she's lost control
grace jones covered that too!!!
and even better - blood axis done a cover of that "walked in line" one

any one else know some good JD cover versions?

Originally posted by swingkid
i heard that the frames were on the telly over the weekend and they played a cover of love will tear us apart...
so glad i didn't see that...

somedaysbetter do a cover of transmission on their new cd
bedhead done a cover of disorder
girls against boys done a cover of she's lost control
grace jones covered that too!!!
and even better - blood axis done a cover of that "walked in line" one

any one else know some good JD cover versions?

Low's version of Transmission of fantastic, slowed down to a walk with church-folk-type singing. Moby does a vaguely interesting industrial take on New Dawn Fades.

Originally posted by egg_
People just like badmouthing other people, especially when they are jealous. It's pretty simple

so what you're trying to say is playground psychotic is jealous of the success and popularity of the frames and some how feel that they should be awarded the media attention the frames get and as a result of this, their members talk some totally serious shit on glen h. on the internet?

hmmm! man i'm glad i'm out of dublin. shit is way too political!

andy

..Ah comon..I dont know that it is..O.K so people are not as eloquent as they should be at expressing distaste for a band or whatever..but in the case of the frames and glen I think peoples backs got put up because the show he was hosting A) featured the frames. B)replaced in R.T.E's eyes at any rate No Disco...I think he annoys people because of the whole oirish vibe that is given off..R.T.E have a habit of getting a one trick pony and clubbing us to death with it..prolly cause the have to do home grown stuff and always go for the safe bet. The safe bet at the moment is Glen et al. I have a funny feeling this is not the last we have seen of his presenting skills..And I'm not jealous. I'm happy for him I just think that the edge has gone out of listening to them.

Ah go on outa that ... you're just looking for an excuse to get annoyed. If he was in Steerage and acted in the exact same way he'd be a hero here because people would like the music and he'd be one of us.

... and of course you're jealous. Wouldn't you like to sell out Vicar St 3 nights in a row and have thousands of adoring fans come along? I fucking would

..bang on the nose there egg,"because people would like the music".but they don't.

As for the jealousy bit.dont think so..serious as fuck I couldn't be arsed if I ever play three nights on the trot in vicar st. That's not why I play music. If it happens well and good but I won't sit at home and seethe with jealousy if it doesn't.The kind of music we play isn't exactly singalong stuff anyway..If I wanted legions of screaming fans I would be in a band that wrote catchy singalong stuff, as it happens I'm not, no It doesn't cost me a thought so you are wrong my friend.

this has already been said but......I'm not a fan of the frames, but this irrational hatred of glen hansard is just daft. It's typical irish begrudgery, i have very little time for a lot of stuff in the current irish scene, but i have a huge amount of respect for anyone who puts as much time and effort into what they do as glen hansard and the frames do.
The stuff about his tv show is daft aswell, personally i don't like much of the stuff on it but if i had my own show i'd guarantee that plenty of people would level the same criticism at me because i'd focus on the bands i'm a fan of and not some poxy, worthy, arty garage band.

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
..bang on the nose there egg,"because people would like the music".but they don't.

Pleease don't make me continue this foolish argument anymore ...

I know they don't - what I'm getting at is people are levelling personal attacks at the man partly because they don't like his band's music, which is senseless

On the jealousy thing ... I'm not convinced (I suspect you're making a virtue out of necessity) but I'll cease my accusations

Pleease don't make me continue this foolish argument anymore ...

I know they don't - what I'm getting at is people are levelling personal attacks at the man partly because they don't like his band's music, which is senseless

On the jealousy thing ... I'm not convinced (I suspect you're making a virtue out of necessity) but I'll cease my accusations

..virtue out necessity..I love it!

Jealosy?

This is my complicated theorm:

Do we like the Tycho Brae? (for example)

Yes, we do.

Do we mind when the Tycho Brae get good support slots, good reviews, good coverage in the media?

No, we don't. We are happy to see a good band do well.

Do we like the Go-Betweens, Bonnie Prince Billy, Red House Painters, and any number of personal favorites of yours and mine?

Yes!

Success for them?

We piss ourselves!

Egg, this jealosy accusation is a cheap shot. People are just using their critical faculties. It's true that most Dublin music is shite, but in fairness, when the good shit comes down the line, we're all cheering. I was even happy to see Gemma Hayes do well because I like one of her songs, although the rest of it is a bit weak.

It's very, very important to voice dissent. It's not a waste of time at all. In fact it's quite enjoyable. Otherwise you end up justifing shite with the 'well if they're happy, i'm happy' bullshit.

That frames gig... everyone sitting there smiling and happy like retards. Kinda glad I missed it. And the bastard did murder 'New Partner' by Palace.

Don't watch much tv so I can't comment on the tv thing. Boo-hoo!

Originally posted by Sexton III
This is my complicated theorm:

So, you're saying we lionise the people who make the music we like, and pour scorn on the people who make music we don't like?

P'raps you're right - still, making judgements on people's personalities based on the quality of their musical output is pretty fucking lame. Some of the best people I know don't make music at all - how am supposed to know whether I like them or not?

Here's what I think, revised:
We resent The Frames because we think our bands are better than them, but our own bands are less successful - we don't think they deserve what they have (or we think if they do deserve it, then we deserve more), therefore we cast aspersions. We don't mind Will Oldham being successful because he is better than us.
So, not direct jealousy, but a kind of jealousy-based thing all the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back