Cymbals (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter DER
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2

DER

I'm starting to get tired of breaking my cymbals. It's far too costly. I have decided that it would be a good idea to buy a set of workhorse cymbals that would be used for playing gigs and practising and save my other cymbals for recording only.

I am currently playing 20" Zildjian K Custom ride, 19" K Dark Crash and Z Custom hats. Would probably like to get a 22" ride instead and add a 20" crash. Also, if I was to get these other cymbals they'd still have to be decent cause no one wants to use shite dustbin lids.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on robust cymbals?

Cymbals should last for a good long time if you play them and store them right;
do you keep them in a hard case + do you know the right technique for hitting them?
Also, I've heard that lighter cymbals last longer than heavier ones, makes sense to me:
they have more give to them and will take the stress of whacking them over a larger area.
Anyone else know anything about this?

Yeh, glancing blows etc. Hadn't been doing that for ages but have since ammended my playing for this reason.

I keep them in good enough condition (storage etc). That's interesting about lighter cymbals.

Have heard that Sabian AAX's are pretty strong.

Yeah, I'm constantly getting lazy on the auld right hittin' method, it deffo works though. I use Sabian AAX, had them about 2 years, got one returned cos it had a radial crack but so far they've been fine.

Zildjian Avedis Rock Crashes. I have played them for 6 years. Best of the best imo!

I dunno about that whole light cymbals last longer thing.
I break light cymbals. Always have done. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

My avedis rock crashes (i had two 19 inch crashes) lasted me 4 years practice & gigging (150 gigs +) Just replaced them last year with same only got an 18 inch instead of second 19 inch.

Link for the 18 inch rock crash:
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/productDetail.ad2?catalogID=1011&typeID=3&productID=1103

Cant find the 19 inch on the site. Probably been discontinued.

Ive had my Zildjian avedis ping ride since i started playing
& has no signs of wear in the 10 years im playing it.

I use 5bs & play hard (not as hard as derry though) & set them up high & at a slight angle towards me.

Sabian Pro sonix hihats the strongest one Ive ever come across. Sound is nothing special but its definitely a durable one.

Yeah I have to agree with Breakneck Tom on the lighter cymbals. Anything approaching 'light' that I've used has broken in a heart breaking way, but I had some heavy cymbals that lasted a good 12-15 years before giving up!

I reckon you'll get a good deal of work hardening the lighter the cymbal is, leading to metal fatigue (ie cracks). Think of it the same way as a paper clip that breaks the more you flex it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back