currently reading? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 172
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 8
sarah said:
So does it work the other way round?

Or are girls immersed in books on Buses and in coffee shops way to common?
Nope, it impresses me. But I'm a nerd, so maybe I'm not the best barometer...also the book is v. important...airport novels are a big no-no for me

sarah said:
So does it work the other way round?

Or are girls immersed in books on Buses and in coffee shops way to common?

Well I saw a girl reading a Raymond Feist book in work one day, but I can't remember if she was nice-looking or not, and I didn't go up and say hello. Actually I don't think it makes any difference in girls, especially considering that most people read books I consider shite anyway (without ever having read them).
In fairness Jimmy if we read Philip K Dick novels all the time, girls might think it was cool just because people have actually heard of him.

I once spoke to a girl on the train just because she was reading a Richard Brautigan book... I just couldent believe someone else was reading him... Sadly, most people have never heard of him...
T'was a nice chat

Cormcolash said:
Well I saw a girl reading a Raymond Feist book in work one day, but I can't remember if she was nice-looking or not, and I didn't go up and say hello. Actually I don't think it makes any difference in girls, especially considering that most people read books I consider shite anyway (without ever having read them).
In fairness Jimmy if we read Philip K Dick novels all the time, girls might think it was cool just because people have actually heard of him.
Um well to be honest I don't really read sci-fi meself, I must confess, apart from the odd dabble. However your point stands...not that that's much of a reason to start reading him mind

Actually I just remember some waitress came over to me at lunch one day 'cause I was reading an Umberto Eco book, and she loved him...unfortunately she was kinda scary, which I suppose I shoulda expected

Me is reading Valley of the Dolls. Was nearly put off by the fact that it had 'The Cult Classic' across the bottom of the cover in fairly large letters. You know the way it is with thses cult classics. But it's terrific. Have about 10 pages left. I get back to yiz with the final verdict.

The annoying thing is, I saw the DVD of the film on sale and had a read of the back cover, and it revealed a plot twist that I hadn't reached in the book at that stage, so I was a bit annoyed. If I was being honest with myself I would've realised that I had seen it coming.

Anyone read any books by Mark 'Chopper' Read?

Jimmy Magee said:
Um well to be honest I don't really read sci-fi meself, I must confess, apart from the odd dabble. However your point stands...not that that's much of a reason to start reading him mind

I've never read a Philip K Dick book, I just like watching the films.

Quato-from-Total-Recall.jpg

roxy said:
Me is reading Valley of the Dolls. Was nearly put off by the fact that it had 'The Cult Classic' across the bottom of the cover in fairly large letters.
hahah funnily enough i was gonna pick that up on saturday and that's actually what stopped me

Just finished a confederacy of Dunces which is brilliant, am now reading Snow Blind , Robert Sabbag, which I like lot so far.

Ian said:
I once spoke to a girl on the train just because she was reading a Richard Brautigan book... I just couldent believe someone else was reading him... Sadly, most people have never heard of him...
T'was a nice chat
did you score?

roxy said:
Me is reading Valley of the Dolls. Was nearly put off by the fact that it had 'The Cult Classic' across the bottom of the cover in fairly large letters. You know the way it is with thses cult classics. But it's terrific. Have about 10 pages left. I get back to yiz with the final verdict.
great book; all the pills on the front

the guy who wants to leave the girl because she has breast cancer!ninjaaaa

I haven't actually contributed the this thread properly yet, in the sense of being on topic, so...

Was reading: Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead be Tom Stoppard...very odd indeed but fairly amusing...the jokes probably work a lot better if you can actually see them...

Now reading: Wilde's short stories & fairy stories...some of the latter great, others not so good, only really starting the adult stuff now...I mean adult in the sense of not aimed specifically at children mind

Also dipping into: Baudelaire's poetry...yes I am extremely pretentious

Jimmy Magee said:
Was reading: Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead be Tom Stoppard...very odd indeed but fairly amusing...the jokes probably work a lot better if you can actually see them...
Rent out the movie when you're done with it. It's deadly.

sarah said:
Just finished a confederacy of Dunces which is brilliant, am now reading Snow Blind , Robert Sabbag, which I like lot so far.
Snowblind is a great book.

I have just finished "Edie" by Jean Stein and George Plimpton. A great book about one of Andy Warhol's Starlings. Really depresing but extremely fascinating at the same time. More info on her here

And I am just starting Portnoy's Complaint by Roth which looks quite good so far.

choking_tara said:
Snowblind is a great book.

I have just finished "Edie" by Jean Stein and George Plimpton. A great book about one of Andy Warhol's Starlings. Really depresing but extremely fascinating at the same time. More info on her here

And I am just starting Portnoy's Complaint by Roth which looks quite good so far.
Let us know how you get on with the Roth one I've heard good things
about that book, but am weary of him after being bored all the way through
American Pastoral, have to stop finishing books out of principle.

sarah said:
Let us know how you get on with the Roth one I've heard good things
about that book, but am weary of him after being bored all the way through
American Pastoral, have to stop finishing books out of principle.
This is early Roth though ie. not as political and more of a sense of humour.

It looks good so far, i'll let you know ;)

If you haven't read The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen I'd advise you (as in EVERYONE) to read it. Haven't read a book that good in about a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back