currently reading? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 172
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 8
Just started reading "High Concept - Don Simpson and the Hollywood Culture of Excess". It's amazing. Apparently, Don Simpson was so fucked up on all sorts of crazy drugs that he hired a doctor to move into his house and help switch his addiction from illegal to prescription drugs. The doctor died of a drug overdose.

THRILLHO said:
Just started reading "High Concept - Don Simpson and the Hollywood Culture of Excess". It's amazing. Apparently, Don Simpson was so fucked up on all sorts of crazy drugs that he hired a doctor to move into his house and help switch his addiction from illegal to prescription drugs. The doctor died of a drug overdose.
this is a FABULOUS book
you need to read you'll never make love in this town again after it - lots of seedy and gross don simpson tales

I think the best thing about high concept is the fact him and bruckheimer use this to describe some of the most vacuous and concept free films ever. Gas altogether.

re-reading eats, shoots and leaves
for the buzz like
also picked up sylvia plath's journals where i left off the last time.
just re-read the bell jar aswell.

Reading 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' now. They're actually really cool. I know they were kinda populist wank and not remotely 'intellectual', but Doyle actually had an amazing way with words. But Holmes is such an arrogant know-it-all. I'm amazed Watson never took a swipe at him, the prick.

Plus, I haven't got a TV, so it kind of helps me imagine I'm watching Young Indiana Jones, or even that Sherlock Holmes TV series that does be airing on Finnish TV at the weekends.

potlatch said:
Reading 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' now. They're actually really cool. I know they were kinda populist wank and not remotely 'intellectual', but Doyle actually had an amazing way with words. But Holmes is such an arrogant know-it-all. I'm amazed Watson never took a swipe at him, the prick.

Plus, I haven't got a TV, so it kind of helps me imagine I'm watching Young Indiana Jones, or even that Sherlock Holmes TV series that does be airing on Finnish TV at the weekends.

it'll help you appreciate csi and csi miami more, seeing their literary grounding.

if you want a classic, that's easy to read, try brave new world it's funny and really strangely put together. and to ameliorate any accusations of scifiyness try looking into the music of chance by the bowel auster - smashing last sentence.

Just started reading Fear and Loathing: On the campaign trail '72 by hunter s. thompson.

I really like the sherlock holmes stories, any time i'm between books i grab hold of 'The Complete Sherlock Holmes'

Hey Ed, how you doin'?

On the Campaign Trail is one I really want to read, too, but I cannae get to it right now. Could only find Fear and Loathing in America. :( :(

kirstie said:
this is a FABULOUS book
you need to read you'll never make love in this town again after it - lots of seedy and gross don simpson tales

I think the best thing about high concept is the fact him and bruckheimer use this to describe some of the most vacuous and concept free films ever. Gas altogether.

If you liked that you'll probably like You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again by Julia Philips. I think it was Bruckheimer whose face she likened to a cunt.

Catwoman said:
If you liked that you'll probably like You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again by Julia Philips. I think it was Bruckheimer whose face she likened to a cunt.
Yeah I've never read that one actually but you'll never make love in this town again and once more with feeling are amazing as well - tales of don simpsons scat obsessions and the guy from 3's company liking to have sex in doorways for 5 hours straight.

Just read a book of short stories called "Dogwalker" by an American dude called Bradford. I'd recommend it if you see it around- it's very funny and surreal, in this deadpan Emo Phillips type style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back