cross browser testing blah etc. (1 Viewer)

plug

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
hello there! a question:

anybody got any suggestions as to any alternate site testing methods to manually checking your shit on all the different browsers across different platforms etc.? like a browser emulator or something...

because:

I'm starting to get into using css/xhtml a lot more for work projects, but I tend to do my research, learning etc. at home in the evening time... where I have no internet connection. if I was at work it'd be simply be a case of throwing the site onto the work server and checking the shit on the shitty PC in the office. I use a mac you see... and at work I'm, well, working.

one reason why I've started using css/xhtml more is because it's neat and it seems to glean more consistent results across all browsers. :heart: which is deadly obviously. however, it seems that IE (on the PC, fuck the mac release) doesn't always play ball, (surprise, surprise), and it's obviously very important to get shit looking right here more than anywhere else. microsoft. grr....

knowharramean?

kirstie and tom. I'm looking at you guys! :) :) :)

you gotta pay for it

http://www.browsercam.com/

that's not the only one, there are a couple of them available. looks like you still have to be online to use that one though - i've never used it myself. i prefer actually manually firing up whatever site i'm checking in different browsers and operating systems.

crossbow testing belongs in the crossbow forum. so you'll be wanting the crossbow forum. and an eye test.. weh weh! ;)

Anthony said:
definately a problem when using Safari to preview in. Because everything looks good in safari.
very true! I'm digging firefox too cos it behaves itself and looks identical across pc and mac. good browser...

thanks folx. the search continues. :)

yeah, the real problem is that IE6 was released aaaaggggesss ago, but i think there'll be an IE7 for PC soon which will hopefully behave properly - not holding me breath mind. they've discontinued work on the mac version as far as i know. what a beast that was.

yeah, hate having to do it though, horrible horrible browser. have you noticed that if you use import and include to serve styles specifically for ns4 is can sometimes mess up the code for other browsers? I've come across that a couple of times, throws things out subtly, it's irritating.

tom. said:
separation of structure and presentation + @import = problem solved

egg_ said:
It ain't so trivial to make that work (I've found there's a lot of trial-and-erro involved in finding out exactly what works in NS4 and what doesn't), and so I tend not to bother
i'm not sure i get you here, eggles. do you mean you tend not to bother using Import, or you tend not to bother with the trial-and-error involved in multiple stylesheets and the like?

using Import hides the @import-ed stylesheet from ns4. i just leave it at that - ns4 users get unstyled content.

w3 schools recorded 0.2% of users still using ns4 at the end of last year - since then they've stopped bothering to record details of it. so it's no biggie.

tom. said:
or you tend not to bother with the trial-and-error involved in multiple stylesheets and the like?
This one. Tried using a simple stylesheet for NS4 and a proper one for browsers that understand Import (as recommended by zeldman), but found getting the simple one to style NS4 adequately to be way too much hassle. Jsut serving them unstyled content seems like a better option

yeah I gave up too - was finding that the ns4 content in the link rel css declaration was throwing styles from the import declaration out. So ns4 users can just fuck off and upgrade their browser, they're holding us all back, the cunts.

egg_ said:
This one. Tried using a simple stylesheet for NS4 and a proper one for browsers that understand Import (as recommended by zeldman), but found getting the simple one to style NS4 adequately to be way too much hassle. Jsut serving them unstyled content seems like a better option

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back