Couch surfing (1 Viewer)

Reets

Supporter
Solutions
Has anyone ever done it, if you have did it go ok?
I'm thinking of going to London for a weekend in September and figure it might be better then a crappy hostel.

Couch surfing is deadly if you have deadly friends to couch surf at.

word of advice...WASH THE DISHES! It pays your stay.

Yup I'm signed up, I've never done it, I was planning on taking full advantage of it when I (eventually) move to NY and am trying to get on my feet. I'd say go for it, it looks like fun.

I thought this thread was going to be about hoofing couches down stairs while riding tha bumps...yo.

Anyway that couchsurfing website looks like great craic. Just to see who you'd end up with like. I bet there are tonnes of hilarious nutjobs on it altogether. hahaha. I'd love to try it just to find out who i'd end up with.
Cinnamonboy should drop his daft.ie antics and sign up for this shit!

sounds good but how embarrassing if people came to visit you in ireland

'er...this is em...tescos...this is the liffey...they cleaned it up a bit but it got a bit dirty again...if you want to have 'the craic' you'll have to wait til we're all drunk. the national meal is the breakfast roll...'

I did it once to stay in Copenhagen last summer, I had to go there for some work research and I was covering accomodation cost:
so since its such an expensive city, I decided to try the 'free' accomodation route.

The couple I stayed with were nice enough, wasn't really sure how much I was supposed to hang out/talk to them though, ...as a social payback for having a guest from another country. I didn't want ot be in the way either, it was mid-week and they're working.
We went for one drink first night locally, talked a bit about what we did and the city, but that was it. They went to work in the morning, then I took off for what i wanted to do..saw them again briefly late the next night, then I left early the next morning. Thanks very much.

Only experience I had, it went well. I guess it can be socially akward or not, depending on your personality. Me, I'm a bit anti-social at times, so don't always want to hang out with complete strangers, often would rather be on my own in these circumstances, or maybe in a hostal were you can choose it you want to hang out with some randomers or not. Still was nice and domestic, and also free!
I soon after let my account lapse and didn't put anyone up in return, so not really entering into the spirit of it there. Me bad.

Thanks Carlow Punk, i think the social aspect would probably help.
It'll be painfully embarrassing as I'm pretty shy most of the time but could save me from getting lost constantly, which still happens in Dublin:(

i've been doing this for about a year, i've only hosted people and not used it on the road. its good craic having johhny foreigner over every few weeks from some random country.... once in a while their a twat and you just let it slide for 24 hours.

i tried to take it on the road last time in italy, but it was some freak weekend where everyone was going home or away so after applying to 22 people i ended up in a hostel, that said i have a bunch of places in france and austria to stay whenever the notion takes me.

Cool thanks t-g, I'll give it a go.
Worst that'll happen is I end up with the kinda person that'd post here. :)
Or dead.

here, not to freak you out rita but a friend of this girl i was seeing recently used this couch surfing thing to try and have sex with women. he was a total spa though. one of these rich kid "artist" types who lives off a trust fund. anyway, the girl told me that on occasion he'd kick the girls out of his flat if they refused to sleep with him. just be careful is all i'm saying

thats a fair point kenosha, you dont have to agree to everyone coming so take a good look at thier profile and make sure they havent just gotten 3 mates to vouch for them.

here, not to freak you out rita but a friend of this girl i was seeing recently used this couch surfing thing to try and have sex with women. he was a total spa though. one of these rich kid "artist" types who lives off a trust fund. anyway, the girl told me that on occasion he'd kick the girls out of his flat if they refused to sleep with him. just be careful is all i'm saying

Yeah I figured that might be the case with a few of the people on there, or they change their mind after 5 mins with me :(
Guessing if I check all the reviews and email someone that stayed there, it should be ok.
Could always see the band in Manchester with a friend, but I really really hate that place.

my housemate was busking in cork once and this french canadian girl (not particularly hot mind) comes up and somehow manages to talk him into letting her crash with us for a while, and our gaff was tiny. anyway she turns up, and is super weird, starts playing guitar and singing in french when i'm eating my cheerios and trying to watch home and away. then she keeps asking me to "move please you are in way of tv". the cheek! we sent her packing then.
then my mate told me a few weeks later the same thing happened him and a few others with a french canadian weirdo a few weeks before.

Yeah I figured that might be the case with a few of the people on there, or they change their mind after 5 mins with me :(

I'm sure your lovely to be around.
On the other point, avoid single men if you can... try applying to women posters first, or nice group houses that I've seen collectively post there (of course the group houses could also be weird sex cults... )

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back