Cost for sessioning? (1 Viewer)

Groundburst

Hi

I have recently been asked to stay on in a small unsigned band as a session bassist. The band leader/artist is reasonably well-off and can afford to pay me but I'm wondering what a reasonable price is for:
a) recording (I believe it's better to charge per song than per hour for this)?
b) gigs?
c) rehearsals (or should this be done for free and money just be made from the first two)?

Bear in mind that I couldn't expect the artist to pay me big bucks as it would be my first gig as a session musician. Having said that, I'm pretty proficient at my instrument and have played in many bands over the last 8 or 9 years.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

why not ask him what he's willing to pay? or ask a session musician. i'm not too sure there are many session musicians on here.

Ask how much he'd want to pay you, then add in the amount of time and money it would take for another session guy to learn the songs etc, then charge him that amount.

Surely per hour for recording makes more sense than per song. It could take a day to record a song or it could take a week.

Well if it were to take me a week or even a full day to record basslines for a song I would be quite worried.;) The point is that because of studio editing/post production techniques these days you can potentially knock out several songs in a 3-4 hour session and so being paid per song means that you would get more benefit from it. I have recorded basslines for 18 songs in two days before.

The point is that because of studio editing/post production techniques these days you can potentially knock out several songs in a 3-4 hour session
Lots of people still do live recording, but if you're dropping in after the fact then by song will probably suit everyone best - more predictable for him, more chance for you to make money ... unless he goes "I don't really think you nailed the groove on that one, dude, would you mind giving it another shot but I'd like you a little behind the beat this time" etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back