Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (22 Viewers)

yes, but using lockdown of citizenry the likes of which will never be seen in ireland.

people are going to be very risk averse to this. if it did spread in ireland with a 1% death rate, that could be 40,000 dying in the space of a few months, with an already overloaded health system and probably a massive amount of medical staff who will be unfit to work for weeks at a time.
we *have* to treat this very carefully.
I agree it has to be taken seriously, probably more seriously than it has been so far, but 100% of the population is not going to get this. If my parents get it they'll be in serious trouble but 40 thousand people dying? 10 thousand dying. Even 1 thousand dying. I can't see it.

Famous last words from Lili Marlene off thumped who died along with the other 40 thousand in May 2020 in what is now known as the Black Death 2.

Last edited:
I agree it has to be taken seriously, probably more seriously than it has been so far, but 100% of the population is not going to get this. If my parents get it they'll be in serious trouble but 40 thousand people dying? 10 thousand dying. Even 1 thousand dying. I can't see it.

Famous last words from Lili Marlene off thumped who died along with the other 40 thousand in May 2020 in what is now known as the Black Death 2.
Regardless of how many people actually end up dying, the fact is that by taking action to limit transmission means there will be less families burying loved ones. And in any case, what is the magic number by which we’re supposed to start caring? When 100 people die? 150? 1000?

(I’m not having a go, I think we’re pretty much in agreement but I’m getting annoyed at the “Sure 2% is a low enough number, and for most people it’s a mild cold” brigade.)

100% of the population is not going to get this.
obviously no-one yet knows how many people will be exposed, but i did see a claim by an epidemiologist that (IIRC) probably 60%+ will be. trying to find that link now.
don't forget that a couple of the reasons flu doesn't kill more people is a) there are vaccines available, and b) having had flu before will grant you some immunity. there's no vaccine for this and no pre-existing immunity.

i think that already 40 staff members in CUH are in isolation. and this thing has barely landed - it's supposition on my part, but that could be the biggest issue, that health staff will be most exposed to it but also the ones dealing with the most at-risk from it. it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that a *significant* number of health staff will not be able to work which would be a disaster with the current load on the health system, let alone an increase in patients coming in with covid19. this could be a massive double whammy.

Regardless of how many people actually end up dying, the fact is that by taking action to limit transmission means there will be less families burying loved ones. And in any case, what is the magic number by which we’re supposed to start caring? When 100 people die? 150? 1000?

(I’m not having a go, I think we’re pretty much in agreement but I’m getting annoyed at the “Sure 2% is a low enough number, and for most people it’s a mild cold” brigade.)
Ah i know, but what's the magic number for the flu? How many people die from that each year? If we all were forced to get the vaccine and isolated anyone who got the flu then that number would go down. Do we not care about people who die from that particular virus?

obviously no-one yet knows how many people will be exposed, but i did see a claim by an epidemiologist that (IIRC) probably 60%+ will be. trying to find that link now.
don't forget that a couple of the reasons flu doesn't kill more people is a) there are vaccines available, and b) having had flu before will grant you some immunity. there's no vaccine for this and no pre-existing immunity.

i think that already 40 staff members in CUH are in isolation. and this thing has barely landed - it's supposition on my part, but that could be the biggest issue, that health staff will be most exposed to it but also the ones dealing with the most at-risk from it. it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that a *significant* number of health staff will not be able to work which would be a disaster with the current load on the health system, let alone an increase in patients coming in with covid19. this could be a massive double whammy.
yeah, fair. I suppose the problem with China is we have no idea how restrictive in reality their response has or has not been because it's all filtered through modern cold war red-scare china-is-bad filters. Italy must be a better indication at this point? We like Italy.

Ah i know, but what's the magic number for the flu? How many people die from that each year? If we all were forced to get the vaccine and isolated anyone who got the flu then that number would go down. Do we not care about people who die from that particular virus?
I’m entirely for compulsory vaccinations (excluding vulnerable populations who can’t be vaccinated) and for better isolation of flu cases. It’s the same principle: those at least risk of a serious outcome spread the disease because they don’t wash hands, don’t stay at home, and underplay the seriousness of the virus. There is an urgency about this because, if unchecked, it could be more devastating but honestly I don’t understand why so many people are shocked that they should wash their hands after being on public transport or going to the toilet. Or staying home from work sick for that matter.

Are they going to self
Two kids in my niece's class in ET in Baldoyle have left this weekend
For a fucking ski trip in northern Italy

Like no one wants to lose money, I get it
But also, ffs like

Are that family going to self-isolate for two weeks after they get home? I hope so.

I've been at home since Tuesday - consistent high temperature, headache, sore lungs and a cough. Could be mild Covid-19, could be mild pneumonia, could be a mild flu, could be a chest infection... not severe enough to justify calling any emergency number, or my busy GP, and while I *could* have been exposed to Covid-19 on my trip to Paris I don't know for sure that I was. Temperature back to normal today, still have a headache and a cough.

It's difficult to know what to do, caution says "stay home until you're recovered fully", but without going to the GP (on public transport - my only option) and risking spreading whatever I have I will either have to take annual leave or unpaid leave.

I was in the shop and there was a nurse talking to a mate. I was eavesdropping and she was saying that she is both worried and selfishly worried. Like will she A: get trapped in the hospital for a fortnight or more B: get trapped out of work and C: how is she going to deal with her kids if she is in work for two weeks.

This makes me think we should just panic for the hell of it to stop people having to worry in this way.

Also Covid 19 deaths have now passed the amount that die on the roads globally in one day - which is just a tidbit for the magic number water cooler.

I'm so in the mood to self isolate tbh.

I don't fit the criteria for calling the emergency number and getting tested so I will know for sure one way or the other. The HSE advice will only capture severe cases OR people who have been to one of the "affected" areas (list not updated in the last 5 days) OR people who know for sure they've been exposed to a confirmed case.

Edit: The same criteria apply for qualifiying for self-isolation on a precautionary basis.

Last edited:
Tour of Lombardy's not till the end of the season. Be grand.

Thing about it is, if you end up a corpse via coronavirus, it's a handy enough one and you don't have to deal with very much of the impending death bit.

This shit part of it is you can't get into a plane and die where you want to.

I was in the shop and there was a nurse talking to a mate. I was eavesdropping and she was saying that she is both worried and selfishly worried. Like will she A: get trapped in the hospital for a fortnight or more B: get trapped out of work and C: how is she going to deal with her kids if she is in work for 2 weeks.

My wife is a care worker in a residential unit and this is a worry for us. She was stuck in work for 3 days during Storm Emma and that was long enough for her.

The_Triumph_of_Death_by_Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back