Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (2 Viewers)

got back to Ireland on friday, first time since the mask mandate was lifted. Was out and about on saturday and kept a mask in my pocket with the intention to go along with what the majority were doing in any shop I went into. No one wearing one in Lidl. No one wearing one in a eastern european supermarket we go to (though no one ever wore one in there), no one wearing them in Ikea. So I didn't wear one either. Took an antigen yesterday evening to see was I riddled, and I wasn't.

got back to Ireland on friday, first time since the mask mandate was lifted. Was out and about on saturday and kept a mask in my pocket with the intention to go along with what the majority were doing in any shop I went into. No one wearing one in Lidl. No one wearing one in a eastern european supermarket we go to (though no one ever wore one in there), no one wearing them in Ikea. So I didn't wear one either. Took an antigen yesterday evening to see was I riddled, and I wasn't.
This is pretty much my approach too. If the staff and most of the customers in my local shop are wearing them then so will I, if they're not I don't bother.

Maybe it's because I fear confrontation

Not trying to cause a row, (see earlier post about confrontation) but when do you think it will be safe to stop wearing masks?

Last edited:
Yeah, I dunno, lads. I'd still argue the first principal about the masks. It's not about protecting yourself from other people, it's about protecting them from you. Doesn't matter what others are doing.
I don't disagree but if people aren't wearing masks themselves then I don't think they care if I'm a danger to them or not.

Not trying to cause a row, (see earlier post about confrontation) but when do you think it will be safe to stop wearing masks?
covid cases still seem to be around the 8k mark per day, and it's highly transmissible. personally, i'd be more worried about wearing one on a bus than in a shop.
that said, we had some grub indoors in phibsboro yesterday, and that'd be far more 'dangerous' than a five minute trip to a shop with no mask.

Same in Lisbon

I was in Lidl yesterday in Drumcondra and no one was masked. So I took mine off. I hate them now

My general barometer is a) when friends stop telling me their kids have been puking for 4 days straight, and b) when the WHO stops banging their heads off their desks in despair at the far too rapid lifting of restrictions countries like us are engaged in. I guess really that if I had any confidence schools and workplaces were having proper ventilation measures installed I'd be a bit more comfortable. But we're just saying "As you were", and that's not good enough.

In fairness, masks have always been hugely prevalent in a lot of Asian countries since forever, and they tend to live into their hundreds, so there might be something in it...

I was in IKEA on Saturday afternoon and it was about 70% not wearing masks. Our local Aldi on Saturday morning was slightly better than that but I cant help but feel people are deluding themselves. Stats are creeping back up again but fingers crossed it won’t get bad again. I’ve already had it twice so I guess I just don’t want to be part of the problem?

My general barometer is a) when friends stop telling me their kids have been puking for 4 days straight, and b) when the WHO stops banging their heads off their desks in despair at the far too rapid lifting of restrictions countries like us are engaged in. I guess really that if I had any confidence schools and workplaces were having proper ventilation measures installed I'd be a bit more comfortable. But we're just saying "As you were", and that's not good enough.

In fairness, masks have always been hugely prevalent in a lot of Asian countries since forever, and they tend to live into their hundreds, so there might be something in it...

I think I'll be wearing a mask on public transport for the rest of my life tbh. A packed bus on a wet day in winter is the perfect environment for respiratory illnesses to spread.

I was in IKEA on Saturday afternoon and it was about 70% not wearing masks. Our local Aldi on Saturday morning was slightly better than that but I cant help but feel people are deluding themselves. Stats are creeping back up again but fingers crossed it won’t get bad again. I’ve already had it twice so I guess I just don’t want to be part of the problem?
I was there Saturday night and was wondering what the smell was.

I also thought I saw @7-no-tomorrow there but then realised he lives in a different country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back