Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (13 Viewers)

If companies were forced to share their findings then, e.g. Pfizer could have Moderna's method for not needing to store the vaccine at -70, and we could have the best vaccine rather than a market of competing vaccines. Just something that's worth pointing out every now and then.
Erm ... I don't think you're speaking from a position of wisdom here. Various science-folks have made educated guesses about how to make a vaccine, and then made one, and tested it. You can't necessarily pick bits from one and use them in another, and any changes would need to go through clinical trials again. And it's not even clear what "the best vaccine" would even mean - ideally we want a 1-shot 100% effective vaccine that can be stored at room temp and is cheap and quick to manufacture, but presuming there are trade-offs involved what do you optimise for? Best at preventing symptomatic infection? Easiest to distribute? Easiest to manufacture?

Erm ... I don't think you're speaking from a position of wisdom here. Various science-folks have made educated guesses about how to make a vaccine, and then made one, and tested it. You can't necessarily pick bits from one and use them in another, and any changes would need to go through clinical trials again. And it's not even clear what "the best vaccine" would even mean - ideally we want a 1-shot 100% effective vaccine that can be stored at room temp and is cheap and quick to manufacture, but presuming there are trade-offs involved what do you optimise for? Best at preventing symptomatic infection? Easiest to distribute? Easiest to manufacture?
This "various science-folks" is doing a lot of work here when it comes to the specific economic conditions and specific labs for specific companies that these various science folks have found themselves in.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that they haven’t been sharing 100% of their research/data/discoveries with each other, because capitalism, nor is it unreasonable to assume that an open exchange would lead to better outcomes all round.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that they haven’t been sharing 100% of their research/data/discoveries with each other, because capitalism, nor is it unreasonable to assume that an open exchange would lead to better outcomes all round.
Neither of your assumptions are unreasonable, but IMO the implication that if all the scientists in the world worked on together on a single vaccine then it'd have all the desirable characteristics from all the existing vaccines, and none of the undesirable ones, is incorrect

Neither of your assumptions are unreasonable, but IMO the implication that if all the scientists in the world worked on together on a single vaccine then it'd have all the desirable characteristics from all the existing vaccines, and none of the undesirable ones, is incorrect
Yeah well I didn't say we would nor do I think it would be as simple as that so we're on the same page.

Counterpoint: the state of this.

Good lord, (I assume this is your point?) he's using Bill "I made all of my wealth from IP hording" Gates as evidence that IP protection is unambiguously a good thing.

also lol his lawfirm is literally a lawfirm that specializes in IP protection cases

Booked a home test today. Apparently you have to if you have been working not-from-home.

It's a bit scary. Shouldn't be, but it is.

View attachment 14783
Might be an ok summer!
Could be 26/9 for my second. Because,schools arent crowded and being a carer for a family member( Eoin,ridiculously compromised) dont appear to count
that's ridiculous but unsurprising, given who's running the country (into the ground)
Totally,if it was just myself,it wouldn't bug me nearly so much. But because of Eoin,and to a small degree my daughter,who has mild cerebral palsy,I would have thought I should be a bit more of a priority.
And there are no doubt people in even more precarious circumstances who will just have to wait.

a friend whose brother works in NPHET warned her about the accuracy of home tests.

anyway, two positive cases in nursing home staff who'd been vaccinated. people will worry about this, but no-one ever claimed the vaccine was 100% effective, and they were symptomless too.

What's the deal with a home test?

Dunno about over there, but here you go online, order a pack. Fairly straighforward. Free.

You get seven tests in a pack. It works like a pregnancy test, or so I'm told. Do your tests and if you want you can report the result online.

Anyway, did my first one, I'm negative baby. The sticking a swab up your nose was pretty uncomfortable, but then I am a sissy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back