Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (4 Viewers)

So India is in serious trouble. Don't suppose it's convinced the anti-maskers that Covid is real and an actual threat, no?

I've been occasionally monitoring and sometimes poking anti mask plandemic scamdemic type conspiracy bores for about half a year now and can assure you no amount of verified information, death or tragedy can get in the way of something that they don't enjoy being a summed into govt/big pharma pick your enemy conspiracy and they do not, under any circumstances need to back this up with information. Like this got to the point where one who i have known for a decade, who has my met my medical professional sibling who has worked on a covid ward for almost a year now decided that they were actually in on the conspiracy, which when challenged was immediatley extrapolated to all nurses being in on it and shortly afterward as always they jumped topic.

They cant handle reality and they cant handle algorithms.

I've been occasionally monitoring and sometimes poking anti mask plandemic scamdemic type conspiracy bores for about half a year now and can assure you no amount of verified information, death or tragedy can get in the way of something that they don't enjoy being a summed into govt/big pharma pick your enemy conspiracy and they do not, under any circumstances need to back this up with information. Like this got to the point where one who i have known for a decade, who has my met my medical professional sibling who has worked on a covid ward for almost a year now decided that they were actually in on the conspiracy, which when challenged was immediatley extrapolated to all nurses being in on it and shortly afterward as always they jumped topic.

They cant handle reality and they cant handle algorithms.

am currently having a depressing back-and-forth with a person in my life who is, let’s say, plandemic-adjacent in their thinking. they’re coming to it through the hippy route — organic food, natural immunity, move to galway and live in a hole in the ground, that kind of thing. It’s tough going but I haven’t yet got to the point of just saying, hey, this is bullshit, learn to ask better questions. but I’m getting close to that point.

Claire Byrne had some Gemma-type conspiracy 'there is no virus' one on her show last night. Gave her 5 minutes to talk a big load of shite on national tv. Didn't bother trying to confront her with any actual facts, just let her talk her shit. Then again the Claire Byrne show is kind of like a slow motion car crash.

Mr Miyagi once said 'once there is one doubt, there can be no certainty'.

That tends to be my guide for trying to interact with these folks. By accident they are going to throw random shit at you from all angles which makes it hard to converse and it can pull you off your seat a bit - pick one part, stick on it till you can show it's a load of crap (it always is, they will probably reference youtube). I agree with egg, but I do think you can open up gaps to insert reality here and there which is probably the best you'll get.

Also all holes in Galway are full GTFO.

Ah I dunno, reality is pretty mutable. I have no idea how to get people to cop on* but clearly this is their reality and will be so until... what? Is this just bored people who need a job to occupy their minds? Vaccine take-up in Ireland seems pretty high, no? Compared to the USA anyway

edit: *@ann post presents a possible method

yep, the really depressing thing is that he is slowly shifting into posting more stuff that seems just-about-deniably shy of far-right stuff. a couple of days ago it was a video of some gardai telling people in a church in athlone that they had to leave. It’s all very low-key, the gardai seem almost embarassed to be there. but the guy who is videoing them starts talking about how they’re doing this to mass-goers, but they’re not doing this to the muslims up in dublin. how the muslims can do what they want but the good catholics of athlone are oppressed.

and I’m not sure that this guy I know even watched that far into the video itself. he just seems to share because it’s a feelgood thing for him. straight up racist-islamophobic stuff that he quite possibly didn’t even realise he was sharing.

anyway, algorithmic radicalisation is strange to watch in real time.

Mr Miyagi once said 'once there is one doubt, there can be no certainty'.

That tends to be my guide for trying to interact with these folks. By accident they are going to throw random shit at you from all angles which makes it hard to converse and it can pull you off your seat a bit - pick one part, stick on it till you can show it's a load of crap (it always is, they will probably reference youtube). I agree with egg, but I do think you can open up gaps to insert reality here and there which is probably the best you'll get.

Also all holes in Galway are full GTFO.
Just spotted this thread - prime cut of the topic jumping pattern you see. 3-4 tweets in and my head is melting. For the record I don't really think the lead tweet is up to much either. HOWEVER - If I was to engage I'd probably go for the nphet stats. They are all free publicly published online data from doctors and hospitals. they do have the occasional time lag but I challenge one of these little shits to dig up a better more widely sourced data pool.

Thats the type of angle I take.

You can see the commenters getting dragged all over the room with the mad topic jumps.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just spotted this thread - prime cut of the topic jumping pattern you see. 3-4 tweets in and my head is melting. For the record I don't really think the lead tweet is up to much either. HOWEVER - If I was to engage I'd probably go for the nphet stats. They are all free publicly published online data from doctors and hospitals. they do have the occasional time lag but I challenge one of these little shits to dig up a better more widely sourced data pool.

Thats the type of angle I take.

You can see the commenters getting dragged all over the room with the mad topic jumps.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

LOL at the reply saying "Who? Claire or Jean?"

my fave anti vaxxer is Ricardo Ricco who was once Italy's best young cyclist in the late 2000's until being caught doping at the 2008 Tour de France in the first in a series of farcical doping scandals.

Claire Byrne had some Gemma-type conspiracy 'there is no virus' one on her show last night. Gave her 5 minutes to talk a big load of shite on national tv. Didn't bother trying to confront her with any actual facts, just let her talk her shit. Then again the Claire Byrne show is kind of like a slow motion car crash.

Hang on, Isn't Claire Byrne the Newstalk one? And I believe she has a tv show but I've never watched it.

I seem to recall she announced live on air that she had Covid. That was back in April, and she was broadcasting from her bedroom. A trendsetter if you will.

Considering everything she said about having Covid back then, I doubt she'd be the kind of person to let a conspiracy theorist blab on on her show. Maybe she was trying to give the person enough rope to hang themself.

Or indeed, maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

No, you're thinking of the exact right person. They let Mrs. Conspiracy blab for a few minutes, then went back 'in-studio' to point out that she was talking conspiracy. Her show is fuckin terrible, it's good to watch for a laugh. It's like if you ever need to explain to someone why RTE shouldn't get any tv license money at all, you can just point to that show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back