Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (3 Viewers)

I’d be surprised if a vaccine could be rolled out nationally in 2022. They’re only going to be able to manufacture and distribute so much, they will need to prioritise frontline staff at least.

Please tell me you mean't to say 2021 there i.e. you think 2021 is still a possibility?

I'm increasingly thinking of this as like being in a war. It's not clear when it's going to end but it's a lot longer than you think and more than likely a few years. But at least no-one is going to bomb your house.

Please tell me you mean't to say 2021 there i.e. you think 2021 is still a possibility?

I'm increasingly thinking of this as like being in a war. It's not clear when it's going to end but it's a lot longer than you think and more than likely a few years. But at least no-one is going to bomb your house.

Pffft we'll all be home for Christmas

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did not mean 2021. Trials are still ongoing, the vaccines will need to through the necessary (but at least fast-tracked) protocols, and I imagine they will stagger roll-outs in order to catch any potential rare side effects in a limited population (rather than one global drop of vaccine). Manufacturing will take time, scaling up the manufacturing process can introduce its own problems, the right syringes will need to be manufactured too (as we can't stop producing all other vaccines), and distribution will have to be sorted out.

Then you've stuff like Trump saying that any vaccine developed in the US will be given only to Americans first, and who will be funding the supply of vaccines to the world? Each country will conceivably pay for their own but what about countries which do not have the means? And countries currently affected by strife (who's doing door-to-door vaccinations in Syria for example)?

Within countries, you're going to get it rolled out to healthcare workers, vulnerable individuals, and possibly kids before they move up the chain to the rest of us. We'll need to encourage uptake of the vaccine (38% of people in Ireland won't take it, apparently) and we'll need to be patient to get the vaccine as such a large and urgent public health programme cannot be made to go faster if there isn't the supply and the personnel to administer it (it can't fall entirely to GPs as they are swamped as it is but maybe outsourced to public health nurses and pharmacies too).

And then there's the final pessimistic thought: What if it doesn't provide long-term immunity?

...and who will be funding the supply of vaccines to the world? Each country will conceivably pay for their own but what about countries which do not have the means? And countries currently affected by strife (who's doing door-to-door vaccinations in Syria for example)?
this might or might not work - ireland are in it I think anywhooo

Just watching a talk where they have pointed out that many of the new vaccines cannot be transported safely in the US as they need to be shipped at -70 degrees, and in order to put in a suitable cold supply chain it would be at least the middle of next year.

Just watching a talk where they have pointed out that many of the new vaccines cannot be transported safely in the US as they need to be shipped at -70 degrees, and in order to put in a suitable cold supply chain it would be at least the middle of next year.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd imagine that will only be a fraction of the challenge that coming up with a vaccine, poses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back