Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (17 Viewers)

seeing increasing internet commentary along the jist of "we can't do this forever, lets just let old people die, it doesn't affect me. the economy"

I'm assuming from people that don't work in hospitals.

so that's nice.
The saddest human beings on the planet, the ones who have absolutely absorbed and internalized the viewpoint that the entire point of human existence is to keep the economy moving along. There can be no other reason to live, old people have lost their only use and are now a drain. These people are absolute freaks.

The saddest human beings on the planet, the ones who have absolutely absorbed and internalized the viewpoint that the entire point of human existence is to keep the economy moving along. There can be no other reason to live, old people have lost their only use and are now a drain. These people are absolute freaks.
Can't remember who said it, for most, its easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.

Most people's identity is deeply tied to their role in work. People have lost touch with their souls. Ask someone who they are, they'll tell you what they do. I think this crisis reveals a deep hole in human spirituality, a sense of self and emotional depth.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Seemingly increasing evidence that even if you survive, Covid_19 does permanent damage to the body.

And the WHO getting less confident about the idea that you can be immune after being infected

so, those fuckers starting to talk about fucking over the more at-risk of our friends and families, let them go have their covid_19 party in an abandoned warehouse somewhere, and seal the fucker up

Can't remember who said it, for most, its easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.

It's either Slavoj Zizek or Frederic Jameson. It's like the "dancing about architecture quote" - no-one agrees who said it first. Also "popularised" by Mark Fisher.

I'm assuming from people that don't work in hospitals.

GF's sister is a hospital pharmacist and has it. Seems to be doing well and is recovering at home. Strangely her partner seems to have avoided it. I'm not sure what sort of distancing they were doing in the house, they probably assumed that she'd catch it at some point and were careful.

My amusing Corona tale for the weekend. The wife and I went shopping on Thursday night, big, though speedy queues to get into Tesco. Everyone in the place wearing a face mask though.
Thought maybe it's time to bite the bullet and finally get some, so the wife went over to the chemist to queue and asked the woman on the door did they sell facemasks, and where were they?
"oh, just over there, we have plenty don't worry".

And they did, plenty of Nivea mud pack style face masks.....

Still, my skin has never looked better

GF's sister is a hospital pharmacist and has it. Seems to be doing well and is recovering at home. Strangely her partner seems to have avoided it. I'm not sure what sort of distancing they were doing in the house, they probably assumed that she'd catch it at some point and were careful.
Could easily have caught and be asymptomatic, which I think there is a lot of. More good news!

that's a bit obtuse though. You can't overlook the fact that damage to the economy will also have knock-on effects to the health and wellbeing of people, and will likely be a direct contributing factor to many deaths.

While the fuckers being referred to here could be a little more tactful in making their point, the point has some merit.

Basically, this;

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

but many on thumped probably know better than the WHO special envoy on Covid-19.

that's a bit obtuse though. You can't overlook the fact that damage to the economy will also have knock-on effects to the health and wellbeing of people, and will likely be a direct contributing factor to many deaths.

When you tie self-worth, purpose of existence and access to healthcare directly to wealth then you cannot overlook this, no. There is no law of nature that says health and wellbeing should be tied to that of the economy though, that is a law of capitalism dreamt up by humans.

While the fuckers being referred to here could be a little more tactful in making their point, the point has some merit.

Basically, this;

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

but many on thumped probably know better than the WHO special envoy on Covid-19.

The "new ways of living" could involve not using GDP as a universal measure of worth. So yeah, I agree with the WHO special envoy.

If anything, COVID-19 is a huge argument to change how we structure our countries/markets/lives since the current method cannot handle any interruption without immediately falling apart, not a particularly robust structure tbh.

Last edited:
When you tie self-worth, purpose of existence and access to healthcare directly to wealth then you cannot overlook this, no. There is no law of nature that says health and wellbeing should be tied to that of the economy though, that is a law of capitalism dreamt up by humans.

nail on the head.

but that's where we're at, sadly.

nail on the head.

but that's where we're at, sadly.
This is an opportunity for change, and I don't mean violent revolution, I mean a reassessment. The Financial Times ran an editorial a week or so ago calling for a massive increase in government spending and what you might call tampering with the market; I see a news story today about how the German hospital system was criticized for years by politicians and "health economists" for its oversupply of beds, a system that is now (figuratively!!!) paying dividends. The writing might well be on the wall for the neoliberal way of thinking, something good might come of this.

Anyway, unrelated to that, thejournal ran an explainer podcast on Friday talking about how to read the COVID figures and one of the people interviewed mentioned that death figures across the world tend to drop on Sundays and rise on Tuesdays (due to a myriad of factors) so i'll be interested in seeing where we are today.

Mary Lou McDonald got a positive result back. She was tested on March 28th, a bad delay. Hope she's recovering ok, should be well on the mend by now.

Oh and I robbed this from a tweet but its a fair point:

"Took 17 days for Mary Lou McDonald to get a test result. Tubridy, Ciara Kelly and Claire Byrne got their results much quicker."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back