Coop Distro (Crusty e-bay) (1 Viewer)

closed groove

Website
distrotable.com
I think it was just launched today:

http://www.coopdistro.com

Essentially it is going to be e-bay for Punks (crusty) :rolleyes:
It has been set up by Profane Existence check it out a bit confusing when you first look!!

Its a nice idea still trying to figure out how to do the shit plus I messed up when setting up my distro on it so waiting on info to come back to me before I can get things up and running for myself.

But I think if the site gets fully up and running it will be great!!

Some details on how it is run:
The whole system is basically set up like eBay, where sellers can post auctions or list stuff for sale (the maximum posting time is 56 days, but it can auto-relist up to 15 times). You also have your choice of listing individual items or open a store. A basic store is free and can have up to 1000 items listed. There is also a premium featured store option at an extra monthly cost. The selling fee for using the site is 1.5% of the total sales each month. There are no fees for basic listings, reserve price auctions, "buy now" options, or image hosting. The only up-front cost is that all SELLERS must pay an annual $5 fee for ID verification purposes (by Paypal or credit card). Your account will be credited $5 towards your first bill.
Theres more stuff about its running on Profane Existence!!!

Looks hard to use alright. But besides that it could be a very good idea, will have to wait and see how it grows.

Ah that would be quite good. Sometimes it's quite complicated to order from some distros and sometimes the distros don't even have a website, so this would be the perfect way to get hold of stuff relatively easily.

Sake, I tried signing up there and got an email in plain text that is supposed to have a Click Here to register.. Will have to try another address..

I messed up in trying to verify my store in that I credited my account instead of verifying my store and it was with the last bit of money on e-bay and I cant figure how to get my money back and this is annoying me!!!

It's Londonderry you taig.

Have they figured out an excuse as to why they accept credit cards, use a capitalist
model for their auctions and take a $4 commission on barters?
I'm guessing it goes something like "Fuck off"
That's true crust.

Who's to say the trainhopping crusty will be able to peel themselves off their mate's
couch five states away, get home to their Ma's, find the CD under their bed and
somehow find the case that comes with it AND THEN get it to the post office, packaged
and addressed correctly NOT TO MENTION having enough money for the overseas
postage in their tight, tight black jeans?

Good fucking luck.

At least Profane Existence will make it through the recession.

I ran across this thread on a Google search and wanted to clear up a few things...

First, this thread was started on the very first day the CoopDistro site went live. We were all very new to the system and didn't quite understand how everything works. I't been going for almost a month now and a lot has been done to work out the bugs, set up the FAQ's, Help Section, etc.

OK, the premise of the site is to create an international DIY punk rock bazaar where sellers from all over the world could flog their wares. There is a general inventory section where you can sell your stuff. Sellers also have the option of opening a store where customers can view all of your items at once. The advantage of a store is that customers can shop from sellers in their own geographic location to save money on shipping, particularly if they buy more than one item. Right now the stores are not sorted by geographic location, but this will change in the future.

Yes, there currently is no shopping cart feature. But sellers can invoice multiple items together to save postage money for customer. The plan is to hire the developers to write code for a dynamic postage calculator / shopping cart once the initial loan is paid off (I lent the project more than half a paycheck starting this thing up... and any further development costs will have to made organically as the site pays for itself).

The financial side of this operation is being handled through Profane Existence. Yes, PE has a credit card terminal, Paypal account, and bank accounts. It does not make PE any more or less capitalist by using what are essentially more convenient tools than paper money. The notion that credit / debit cards aren't punk is debunked by the fact that thousands of customers use them to purchase items from PE's distro every year. This is 2009 and plastic money is now the norm for much of the world. Credit cards and Paypal also let us verify that sellers are who they say they are and we don't have a bunch of predatory scammers setting up shop on this web site. If you don't understand the importance of this then you probably shouldn't be buying stuff through the mail or internet.

The $4 commission on bartering is totally not true. When we opened the site up there was a $4 "item swap" option listed in the fee chart. I never figured out what that meant but it has been removed a long time ago.

Any other questions feel free to direct them my way. Thanks for reading this!

Dan

It does not make PE any more or less capitalist by using what are essentially more convenient tools than paper money.

So is it already capitalist by using paper money then?

Be careful with your answer, people have been known to be banned for no reason other than annoying the moderator around here, I don't know if you'd be familiar with a forum that operates under those rules so I thought I'd better keep you right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back