Communism: a viable alternative? (1 Viewer)

Good article, but human greed and absolute equality are mutually exclusive and there will always be a Napoleon (Orwell's) or two.

Nice dream, but has never worked in practice.

Thats the first argument everyone comes up with against communism, why do we keep acknowledging greed as human nature and therefore dismissing the possibility of communism working. Maybe its a learned behaviour in a capitalist society?

I don't get it either, I've always seen some form of enlightened self interest as a prerequisite for any form of social change.

Congratulations on the article Oh Shit ... that must be a good buzz.

Well done Oh Shit. Good article, and I'm green with envy that you were at the conference.

I've been trying to comprehend Alain Badiou for the past month or so. Jayiziz. I shouldn't have given up on him 5 years ago, I might have got somewhere by now. I'm really not sure if he's contributing anything radically new, though. But it's the rumblings of something again.

Anyway, how much was that conference a love-in for those crazy, cult-like Lacanians?

egg_ said:
Don't think so, squiggle - nomadic hunter-gatherer societies were/are pretty much completely egalitarian, and that's how most behaviourally modern humans lived for around 90% of our history
source?
I don't think I'm making a disputed claim here, I think it's widely accepted that in a society where there's no way of establishing ownership over anything you can't carry it's not possible for a long-lasting hierarchy to develop

Have a look at more-or-less anything written about north american plains indian societies (hunter-gatherers now mind, like the Sioux, not farmers), or Tierra-del-Fuegians. Or even wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter-gatherer ... or here's a good article by Jared Diamond http://www.awok.org/worst-mistake/

It may work just fine at a community level - a small community of people is self-policing.
See my last post - it's nothing to do with policing, and everything to do with the impossibility of accumulating property. Anyway, this is kinda off-topic - nomadic hunter-gatherer societies are anarchist rather than communist

why should we exclude coercion into communism just because it offends some idea of human nature? if anything, it just reinforces the case for a strong state communism
Haha. People argued that communism was impossible even when I was in school and half of Europe was communist. What they meant (and what squiggle etc mean), of course, was communism without coercion. Nobody wants USSR style coercive communism, thank you very much

Hey Oh Shit,
why did you go with 'Bernard Keenan' and not 'Oh Shit' for the guardian article?

sell out

Haha. People argued that communism was impossible even when I was in school and half of Europe was communist. What they meant (and what squiggle etc mean), of course, was communism without coercion. Nobody wants USSR style coercive communism, thank you very much

i was being faecitious,
however the serious point is to ask about how much we are coerced into capitalism, and the way that capitalist liberal democracies deal with those who do not conform to its own standards.

we could also ask how much the people of chile, for just one example, wanted the capitalism that was imposed upon them by the good general pinochet. again, we're talking about singular, different political processes that all have 'communism' in common, not some monolithic eternal 'same thing'. like capitalism, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back