Ciao Trap. Next. (2 Viewers)

Apparently Glen Whelan has been amazing in Stoke's last couple of games. Winning loads of tackles, chasing everywhere, great passes, and also doing loads of Zidane roulettes and tricks like that.
He has it in his locker.

We hardly need to even have a complex passing game. If the strikers just make the right runs and be in the right positions to get on the end of a cross, Reid will pick them out.
That sounds dangerously like "4-4-2 and lump it into the box" to me.

Reid would never make it in a 4-4-2 at international level. He hasn't got the legs.

Has to be
Whelan and Gibbo(when he's fit) Or I guess it probably has to be Whelan for now in the holding roles with three attack minded lads allowed to roam and switch wings etc. Reid fits in there pretty well but unlesss we go to 3 at the back (Ha imagine!) I can't see how there's any other serious option other than Long up front on his own.

Do keep up

Has to be
Whelan and Gibbo(when he's fit)
What team do you support again? I'd have McCarthy and Gibson in the middle every day of the week, as will Martinez eventually, and Reid/Hoolahan in front of them.

Do keep up

What team do you support again? I'd have McCarthy and Gibson in the middle every day of the week, as will Martinez eventually, and Reid/Hoolahan in front of them.
Ha, I had McCarthy and Whelan / Gibbo (when he's fit) typed and ready to go and then tried to change something and erased half the post. Yeah I meant McCarthy and either Gibbo or Whelan.

That's all supposing Gibbo doesn't come back fat as fuck. One fat lad fine but two ? That's a bit too mid 80's.

The problem with Trap was that it wasn't Put 'Em Under Pressure, it was put ourselves under as much pressure as possible, get bodies in the way and hope we fluke a free kick or something at the other end.. No real surprises in this squad but with the first few O'Neil games I'm more interested in the approach than the personnel. There was a bit of encouragement with the Latvia and Poland games that keeping the ball and passing to feet are priorities, but you want to see if they stick to that against better opposition. Reid and Hoolahan aren't too old (the Swede who scored the winner at Lansdowne Rd was 37) but there's the Andy Reid enigma - too good for the Championship, but has never quite done it at a higher level, that brief Sunderland spell excepted.

Robbie Brady is apparently going to miss the rest of the season.. With Gibson, Westwood and Joey O'Brien already out that's a significant chunk of the Ireland squad sidelined. Should be back for the Euro qualifiers but it's a lot of time to miss.

Euros draw is on Sunday by the way.

There's a fierce echo in here today.

Here's something, however, that I bet you didn't know: Hungary and the Republic of Ireland share the record for the highest number of qualification matches played by a single nation, with 109 apiece, although the Soviet Union/Russia have contested 110.

Last edited:
There's a fierce echo in here today.
Here's something, however, that I bet you didn't know: Hungary and the Republic of Ireland share the record for the highest number of qualification matches played by a single nation, with 109 apiece, although the Soviet Union/Russia have contested 110.

This is where all those 2-legged playoff heartbreakers work to our advantage..

On the Euro draw, seeing as the top two in each group now qualify automatically (as part of UEFA's plan to kill the tournament by removing all jeopardy for the bigger teams til the quarter final stage), our basic concern is finishing ahead of the Pot 3 and 4 picks.

Pot 3
Slovenia (17) ; Serbia (18) ; Romania (21) ; Turkey (23) ; Austria (24) ; Slovakia (29) ; Israel (31) ; Norway (32) ; Poland (35) ;

Pot 4
Armenia (19) ; Scotland (22) ; Wales (27) ; Montenegro (28) ; Finland (33) ; Bulgaria (36) ; Belarus (37) ; Estonia (40) ; Latvia (45) ;

Would like to avoid Serbia & Romania in pot 3. In Pot 4 Armenia probably owe us an upset, Montenegro could cause problems & Scotland have been improving lately... The rest are much of a muchness really.

Germany
Republic of Ireland
Poland
Scotland
Georgia
Gibraltar

Fucking Germany again.. Scotland and Poland are tough enough as 3rd and 4th picks go. Should be a right battle between the 3 of us for 2nd. At least it'll be interesting with two teams we haven't faced in qualifying in a long time, and newbies Gibraltar.

poland and scots must be delighted. first time i can remember playing scotland in competitive competition

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back