Church burning in cork? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter W.
  • Start date
  • Replies 130
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 7
B00005NV8K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But apart from that, that Evens gig in the Nicholas of Myra kind of felt like being at mass again, with Fr.Ian McKaye and Sister I dont know what her name is. A bit of talking(preaching:) , a bit of music, a mixed age audience (congregation) etc... could that be an example of possible future gigs as the scene ages over time? With free wine and bread/sos rolls?

Now THATS a scary future.

São Paulo Punk said:
Seriously though, well kind of anyway, what are the prospects for the elderly in DIY, not necessarily right now but in the future when we're all too fucked to listen to loud amps and heavy drums and too fucked to drink heavily and get mashed.
you're really just concentrating on the diy PUNK scene. Being a young person of this generation, I can dig it because its relevant to me, but it's not the be all and end all of the posibilities of diy. Diy is an ideal that's applicable to anything and there are examples of this in every sector of life, and there should be more! It would be a very bad thing to associate autonomy and self activity only with middleclass drunken crusties. Other communities are capable of self empowerment to! Think about anything that anyone can enjoy in groups like sports, music, social events of any kind, art and craft groups and an unlimited array of social projects and organizing. Thats just the shit that old folx need to keep em full of life, not archaic religious doctrine!

Manta Ray said:
...middleclass drunken crusties....

is there a crusty backlash going on these days or is it just my imagination? the gig discussion thread is full of anti-crusty sentiment. it's not even like there's too many in ireland...

DuncheeKnifed said:
is there a crusty backlash going on these days or is it just my imagination? the gig discussion thread is full of anti-crusty sentiment. it's not even like there's too many in ireland...
you're right, there does seem to be alot of anti crusty sentiment these days. Not what I meant though, I listen to my fair share of crust and Im on my way to K-Town this year. I even have a fledgling mullet .|..|

DuncheeKnifed said:
it's all the people who are upset because they've been trying for years to be cool and then crusties come along all sexy and cool and piss all over their sad attempts to be 'with it', and what used to be 'it' isn't 'it' any more. it's sad and regrettable but i don't think it should take up an inordinate amount of anyone's time.

PS: great picture! what makes it is the washed up alco laughing in toothless glee. he looks like someone i'd probably end up with.

nooly said:
it's all the people who are upset because they've been trying for years to be cool and then crusties come along all sexy and cool and piss all over their sad attempts to be 'with it', and what used to be 'it' isn't 'it' any more. it's sad and regrettable but i don't think it should take up an inordinate amount of anyone's time.

that's what i thought - bad apples like nooly messing things up for everyone. :p

Manta Ray said:
It would be a very bad thing to associate autonomy and self activity only with middleclass drunken crusties.

Sorry, I meant the DIY punk/music scene, though I dont know how you read into that as being an association of autonomy with middle class whatever.

Manta Ray said:
Diy is an ideal that's applicable to anything and there are examples of this in every sector of life.

That really cleared things up for me, thanks.

ah yeah sure all crusties are middeclass :rolleyes:

same the way mrr and zines always go on about how punk is a white boy suburban middle class thing, yeah maybe it is in the fuckin states but that shit really annoys me cause it totally underestimates the size on the punk scenes all over the world that are not white nor middle class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back