chicks on speed (1 Viewer)

jane said:
Trendy people go to MCD gigs. Ok, that's a sweeping statement, but if an indie promoter booked the same band, it would probably attract a smaller and different crowd.

do people here think that smaller promoters tend, at least in general, to attract a crowd that is less likely to see the divide between performer/band and 'audience' as not such a firm one? In other words, do smaller indie promoters putting on gigs encourage ideas that bands are 'one of us', and maybe end up with fewer ignorant jerks who would actually throw things?
there's a girl who works for mcd, or at least used to, and she has a different trendy haircut everytie i see her. she usually has the clipboard with the guestlist and is usually seen swanning around whever venue the gig is on in, being "beautiful". i don't reallty think she likes music tho.

the size of the guestlist at mcd gigs means that disinterested dickheads who just wanna be seen there or get a drink and talk over the band - style victims basically - will ruin it for the people who really wanna be there. the gigs i've had spoiled by these people have always been mcd gigs. whenever i'm on the guestlist to anyshow i do what everyone else there who loves the music does - i shut the fuck up and enjoy the show. and i don't throw anything.

(if we all had stunguns then we could drop these fuckers and roll em under the stage and get on with enjoying the bands - a bit extreme but its crossed my mind a few times!:rolleyes:

spectraljanitor said:
the size of the guestlist at mcd gigs means that disinterested dickheads who just wanna be seen there or get a drink and talk over the band - style victims basically - will ruin it for the people who really wanna be there.
That's true for Whelans no matter who's playing, or who organised it. The talking bit anyway, not so much the wanna be seen bit.

The whole glass throwing thing is just indicative of a crowd with a slightly lower level of cop on than usual. Some idiot confused reality with some MTV video, did something really stupid, and luckily only 3 grand's worth of high-end consumer electronics got trashed, as opposed to a musician's face. In a crowd so obviously in thrall to the latest bollixy revival fashions, you're bound to find more than your average number of delusional twits.

the mcd girl you refer to sounds like sabrina, who seems to be sound as a pound to me

i've seen wankers at every description of gig i've been too, irrelevant to the promoter. worst was the fall some years ago were some knob thought it would be amusing to slowly pour his pint into my bag, thus destroying the contents, including my brand new minidisc player

dudley said:
worst was the fall some years ago were some knob thought it would be amusing to slowly pour his pint into my bag, thus destroying the contents, including my brand new minidisc player
yikes! i presume the chap subsequently spent some time in hospital?

hmm. i'll probably take more than a bit of slack for this but admittedly i laughed when i heard that someone had thrown a bottle at their laptop.

i dont have much respect for chicks on speed, i think they're a bunch of fashionista pseudo-musicians. saw them at the big day out in early 2000 and was genuinely impressed with how shit they were. even more laughable was the crowd - as others have pointed out on this thread, lots of people seemingly more interested in being seen at the gig rather than the gig itself. didnt stay very long.

anyway arent chicks on speed always encouraging a bit of audience aggro and participation? getting them worked up, shouting/screaming at them etc? maybe they bit off a bit more than they could chew.

some of this is serious, some not... just in a strange humour...

i think theyre shite aswell

since i first heard eurotrash girls
lving it up in milan then on to berlin then to paris fffffuuuckkooofannndd dddddiiiee
iiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiittttttttchhhhhhhhhh

redflaremist said:
hmm. i'll probably take more than a bit of slack for this but admittedly i laughed when i heard that someone had thrown a bottle at their laptop.

i dont have much respect for chicks on speed, i think they're a bunch of fashionista pseudo-musicians. saw them at the big day out in early 2000 and was genuinely impressed with how shit they were. even more laughable was the crowd - as others have pointed out on this thread, lots of people seemingly more interested in being seen at the gig rather than the gig itself. didnt stay very long.

anyway arent chicks on speed always encouraging a bit of audience aggro and participation? getting them worked up, shouting/screaming at them etc? maybe they bit off a bit more than they could chew.

some of this is serious, some not... just in a strange humour...

hmmm.

in my experience and i saw them in 2001 as far as i remember, on their home soil, and yes, they did encourage audience participation, but there was no malice behind it.

jane said:
I was a bit annoyed that MCD didn't book any support for them, too. But that only annoyed me until the glass-throwing incident. I thought COS were great, a real spectacle, and worth seeing regardless.

Support was Anat Ben-David. She performed for about 15 minutes, and her set ran directly into Chicks On Speed's set. They did not want a support, as they brought her with them.

redflaremist said:
did you find it funny just because you don't like chicks on speed? if the person who threw the glass didn't like the band he should've just left instead of ruining it for those people who were enjoying it. i just hope the incident doesn't get back to other bands on their label (ie le tigre). (there's my 2 cents worth of slack for ya!)

TESTAROSSA said:
this all sounds like some pussy shit after whitehouse last night
sayin

andrew

Very True
How could Chicks on Speed's paltry glass throwing incident compare to 2 insane postmen wrestling people to the ground, bashing mic's off the floor and knocking over amps while their craxy mate screamed about human european sponges being the scourge of human flesh?
Most entertaining thing ever.

kirstie said:
Very True
How could Chicks on Speed's paltry glass throwing incident compare to 2 insane postmen wrestling people to the ground, bashing mic's off the floor and knocking over amps while their craxy mate screamed about human european sponges being the scourge of human flesh?
Most entertaining thing ever.
this was the bullets set then, yes?

IT'S GETTING OLD, DUDE

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back