Celebrity Creeps Thread (2 Viewers)

matwood: 'LET'S NOT GET HYSTERICAL
PS women speaking up about shitty men is literally witch trials and stalinist purges'

ok then, thanks for the sensible, measured take

I remember her being really important to a load of feminists. Mad times to watch here turned into a demon online in the space of a few days after putting herself on the line.

Was it about 2 years ago she was being no-platformed at Cardiff University for her views on transwomen?

I think my earliest memories of her are from Adrian Mole's mum reading the Female Eunuch and then refusing to cook, and her appearances on UK panel shows.

Really? I thought that was pretty well received?
Eh, maybe i'm basing too much on snippy comments I read online. I suppose it's not like she hasn't been appearing in the media or anything in recent years.

I think The Female Eunuch has some anti-trans segments in it. Atwood has always come across as measured and thoughtful in any of her writings or posts, I find Greer to be a bit abrasive and weirdly reactionary.

I still think there is wayy more to germaine greer than glibly joining the sociopathic feminist minority in saying 'terf, lets forget her whole career'. I considered writing an essay post about this because, maybe I'm a moron, but I feel like I can learn a little more about feminism from someone who's devoted their life and career to it than someone who's set up a twitter account, written 4 blog posts and jumped on a hashtag.

Annnyywwhhoooo - I searched for more information, here's an article from 2010. In 2010 Germaine was suggesting the #metoo style movement, but in a slightly different format. Now she's writing a book about rape and rejecting it. Sooooo are we watching book promo here, or someone with a high capacity for thought re-evaluating in real time?

source: Germaine Greer: Name and shame rapists online | Daily Mail Online

Here's 2010 Germaine:

Germaine Greer sparked a row last night by suggesting rape victims should name and shame their attackers online instead of reporting the sex crime to the police.

The controversial academic, now 71, has spent years campaigning for the law on rape to be changed to boost the number of convictions.

But Professor Greer, now an academic at Warwick University, yesterday claimed a website may be a better way than the law to make rape allegations, in a move likely to anger campaigners and victims' organisations.

Speaking at the Cheltenham Literature Festival she said yesterday: 'I wish there were an online rapists' register and that it was kept up to date, because we know the courts can't get it right.

'When I say that to people, they get so scared, and say 'Oh you can't. What about privacy?'

'Years ago I knew we would never get convictions in a court of law for date rape, so I suggested women kept an online dossier, so if a woman had a date with a guy and he did something to her, or frightened her, and she asked him to stop and he didn't, then instead of going to the police she should put him online.

'Other women could check this dossier, look up a guy and see that he has form. Then she can say no, or if she does go, goes knowing it's a high risk strategy.'

It is 40 years since Germaine Greer shot to fame with the publication of The Female Eunuch, when she was just 31, a bible for feminists which became an international bestseller.

In 1995 she claimed in an article that she was raped at the age of 19 when she was a student in her native Australia, but had not reported it.

It is 40 years since Germaine Greer shot to fame with the publication of The Female Eunuch, a bible for feminists

The conviction rate in Britain is currently 6 per cent, one of the lowest in Europe. She added: 'I don't think a sexual bully should go to jail for seven years but a couple of months' community service wearing a t-shirt with the word 'rapist' on it would be good.

"As it is we get nothing. They are still walking around and doing what they have done the whole time. 'There is always one guy, say at a university who gets through lots of girls like a knife through butter.'

Greer spoke out in response to a question about a website set up by a female student encouraging women to rate their sexual partners. She said she did not regard the idea as 'very female at all'.

The feminist writer added: "It's a website where you talk about what it's like to get off with someone in terms of the size of his tackle. That's not what women are interested in.

"What I suggest is that women keep an online diary and put on it if a man goes too far. Others can then check his 'form'. "You want to be able to say 'avoid him because you will come out of the encounter feeling dirty'."

Greer claimed such a register would prevent rapes and sex assaults taking place more effectively than the legal system, which simply locks up a small minority of men who are convicted, she said.

It'll be interesting where this will go overall, it reminds me a little of the #occupy movement in that it won't be satisfied with anything beyond total societal transformation. You couldn't #occupy from your smartphone in your house though.

The major argument against it imho is that if they just purge everyone who doesn't stick to the most radical lines at all times then there'll be no one left. The speed of the rise and fall in that world can be pretty terrifying.

But I dunno, Greer will probably be back allowed in the clubhouse in a few weeks.

Last edited:
The major argument against it imho is that if they just purge everyone who doesn't stick to the most radical lines at all times then there'll be no one left. The speed of the rise and fall in that world can be pretty terrifying.

But I dunno, Greer will probably be back allowed in the clubhouse in a few weeks.

We've got to the point in the civil equity movement where purging is happening.

How problematic.

Well here, is it happening though? Or is it just a few strongly worded articles?

I've found Ireland's right on twitter celebs have really started affecting me less since I've largely stopped using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back