Catharsis... (1 Viewer)

Cormy

Since 2000
Website
www.thumped.com
Catharsis & Newborn were fucking incredible here in Roscommon last night. All the other bands were pretty rockin' too. Unfortunately, the fucking pigs showed up and shut it down. Yes, again. 16 fucking Gardaí, found some hash on a young fella from Galway and gave loads of people shit. Confiscated Catharsis' literature.

Batty's decided to retire to a nice country house in a couple of weeks because of the costant police harassment...it looks like the pub will be finished and no more Roscommon gigs. Fuck it anyway.

Yis'd be fools to miss Catharsis in Dublin on Thursday (in the Temple on Dorset Street). Mindblowing rock action. Fuckin' A.

that's my taxes you're dissing you little gay. watch it right, or i'll have Celtic hellyboppers drop cornflour on you r gaf and we'll have a right owld laugh when it rains.

anyway, the polis wunt be interested in youse punks if you washed occasionally or said the odd nice thing.

CJH 4 ever

That's a real shame about Batty's.
He's a nice fella and we liked playing there.
Bastards.

word on the street is that newborn are fucking incredible as well. it seems one of their guitarists had to leave the tour so the other one is doing is best to play his parts as well as his own at the same time.

thursday's going to be one of the gigs of the year, deffo.

Ah shit, that's terrible about Battys! No more gigs in Knockroghery! No more Battys! We enjoyed playing there so much, it was always a deadly crowd. That's terrible fuckin news....

Ah shit, that's terrible about Battys! No more gigs in Knockroghery! No more Battys! We enjoyed playing there so much, it was always a deadly crowd. That's terrible fuckin news...Ah well, that's what happens when kids start enjoying themselves.

hey Cormy, did you ever look in to making formal complaints about the local law enforcement?? You mentioned something about it after the weekender you held.

how did it work out??

I spent a few years living in the midlands for educational purposes and by christ does it need something like what you guys are doing to kick a bit of life into it...hopefully this won't be the end of rockin in the midlands.

good luck to you and yours sir.

Yeah, Newborn are amazing. Really passionate intense hardcore, really technical & complex aswell, crazy structures & their drummer's incredible. Oh, and their bassist has the fastest fingers I've seen on anyone other than Hector's Da. So, they're a bit good...

I'm glad to see that people care about Batty & the shit he's getting... I'm afraid that unless someon else is gonna step up it probably will be the end of gigs around these h'yere parts since we'll all be moved away ina couple of weeks.

Oh, and some people have made complaints but i ain't heard nothing yet.

Played one of my first gigs there on new years eve 96/97 and it was one of the best too. It really does make me sad to hear that Battys will be no more. Pigs - they're a bunch of rednecks with chips on their shoulders.

Yeap always happens down the country.
The dodgy pub that never gave a shit who it let in, and consequently kids end up putting on gigs there, always gets closed by the pigs. In Carla it was ciscos(I think every Irish band ever played there including the radiators from outer space). And now it's a shit theme night club. oh woe, woe is me.

Batty's was fucking great a real shame to see it go especially since I only got to one gig there. But if the pigs got it in for ya they got it in for ya.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't see how two raids by the drug squad constitutes "constant police harrassment" - was there more to it than that?

And let's face it - the fact that drugs (in however small quantities) were found on both occassions can't really be helping, can it?

first, this: i've never been to a gig in roscommon. i'm trusting cormy's reportage of events. the harrassment may not be "constant" but it's more than i've ever had to deal with.

but: pete! curmudgeon! to recap: the amount of drugs found (not including the birth control pills and plectrums) is pathetic, and wouldn't normally be worth more than a caution, if even. the average streetful or pubful of people would have far more, even down in holy roscommon. as i understand, the police deployed 25 people the first time, and then 16. 41 police, let's say 82 police hours in total. what's the police-time-to-drugs-found ratio here? anyone care to work it out? apart from that, and perhaps more worryingly, why the fuck do they need to confiscate any of catharsis' stuff? i've had a look at http://www.garda.ie, http://www.irlgov.ie and http://www.justice.ie and i still can't find any garda complaints procedure information to post up here.

however, the fact that the police are bored and wasting their time in the midlands is nothing new, and not the point. the point is that another venue has been lost; mostly, it would apear, due to ignorance. of course maybe if the gigs were being organised by some respected pillar of the establishment who would be able to have a word in the right ears then none of this would have happened. but the temerity of these people getting up and doing it for themselves, well, it would appear that that's frowned upon, that's not allowed.

these sorts of events just creates cynicism and apathy; no-one wants to put in the effort. fuck that. you might consider writing to the local TDs... or you might not when you see who they are: http://www.gov.ie/debates-97/26jun97/xlong.html ... what the fuck do you do? hope. hope.

hey don't shoot the messenger - just trying to stimulate the discussion, like

man i'm pissed off right now

work is shit

Cormy (28 Aug, 2001 05:35 p.m.):
Unfortunately, the fucking pigs showed up and shut it down.

I believe in Dublin undercover police are common at dance clubs and small quantities of ecstasy are found quite often , they dont shut the place down, and sure there was shitloads of stuff found at slane and they didn't shut U2 down,
it sounds like they have a personal grudge or else it's some new zero tolerance policy for country folk.
[sorry for mentioning slane]

Basically, I think dance clubs tend to be owned by businessmen, with a bit of sway, and well U2 are U2. But people in the whole rock scene are pretty defenceless against discrimination by the pigs, such as Batty, who is basically just a cool guy who I can't imagine ever harmed a soul -except his own liver. And country cops tend to be bored and even more narrow minded so there even more likely to start harrassing anyone anyway different. And its comforting to know that if you're being harrassed you have some fine muck savage TDs to turn to.

I don't know what the situation was at Catharsis, but when we were at the punkfest in battys, the drug squad had come all the way from Galway. And they WERE looking for something. They had obviously planned their lickle "sting" well in advance because the garda siochana NEVER have 25 layabout pigs at their disposal, so it wasn't a case of them just turning up to shut everything down. I'm presuming that it was the same d.s. from Galway at the Catharsis gig too, would i be right? Incidentally, they asked me what my parents would think if they "knew i was at this rave" and "aren't i ashamed to be associated with these types", there's some fuel for the ol' fire.

maybe if batty put out a bit more, he wouldnt have all this trouble with the pigs.

why do you think dudley corporation gigs are never raided?
cos joss is a screaming tart, thats why.

Pervert Mechanic (30 Aug, 2001 12:13 p.m.):
"knew i was at this rave" and "aren't i ashamed to be associated with these types", there's some fuel for the ol' fire.

Revenge would be cool, hmmm i dunno, put up loads of flyers for a "rave" out in the middle of nowhere, then leave them a little note saying aren't ye ashamed to be wasting your time, or spray them with manure, it would be just like one of those crazy frat movies. maybe.
What's the deal on camcording the gardai, do they like it? are they allowed to confiscate it? maybe somone should bring one those tiny digital spy cameras next time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back