Catastrophic gigs (1 Viewer)

AU Magazine

Website
www.myspace.com
We're interviewing Stuart from Mogwai tomorrow to preview the new album and their Belfast gig in August. A few years ago, a particularly noisy crowd led them to say they'd never come back, but hurray, they are.

So what we want to know is, what are the most catastrophic, chaotic, godawful or otherwise memorable-for-the-wrong-reasons gigs you've been to in Ireland? Was anyone at the infamous Megadeth gig in Antrim in 1988, for example?

We've spoken to a few industry peeps but now we want some proper punters' recollections, so vent your spleen here or email us at [email protected]

Cheers!

Was anyone at the infamous Megadeth gig in Antrim in 1988, for example?

i think garyxknifedx was at that gig

Let's see

Anthrax walking off the stage after 6 songs in the Top Hat in 1989(?) because people were spitting at them?

DI having to cancel their gig in the New Inn in 1990 because someone kicked the shit out of the jacks and flooded the place?

i'm sure there's more

I've heard off a few people that Judas Priest once played the SFX and so few people turned up that Rob Halford pulled every single one of them up on stage for the last few tracks. Backs to the amps lads.

Was anyone at the infamous Megadeth gig in Antrim in 1988, for example?

I was there. I don't remember it as being quite like the legend has it. He said something stupid about supporting the cause,the audience shouted abuse and threw shit at him,the fire alarm went off and the venue evacuated,we all waited outside for a while and were brought back in and the gig continued.
I'd say the bigger catastrophe was Megadeth's music.

Cornershop in Fibbers was a complete shambles. They even mentioned it years later in an interview.

Anthrax walking off the stage in the GAA in Omagh because people were spitting at them (bet they just love Ireland)

Some idiot stealing the singer from Pitchshifter's microphone thus ending the gig in The Mean Fiddler

i played a gig in the voodoo lounge in 2005 when my pedals caught fire
i played in newbridge in 2006 when there was a power failure
the thursday previous to that, i was supposed to play in limerick when an overrun show ended up cancelling my set
i played a gig in eamonn dorans in 2007 when the speakers blew up on stage
i played at home made jam last year when the tent lifted up out of the ground and nearly blew away

...and they're just the ones off the top of my head
:confused:
leigh

i played a gig in the voodoo lounge in 2005 when my pedals caught fire
i played in newbridge in 2006 when there was a power failure
the thursday previous to that, i was supposed to play in limerick when an overrun show ended up cancelling my set
i played a gig in eamonn dorans in 2007 when the speakers blew up on stage
i played at home made jam last year when the tent lifted up out of the ground and nearly blew away

...and they're just the ones off the top of my head
:confused:
leigh

i blame ZOG meself

Saw some unknown band at In the City a couple of years ago. Their first song was a bit of a shambles and then their laptop started to spaz out. The singer/guitarist decided enough is enough and pretty much destroyed all his gear and the rented drum kit behind him. They didn't even finish the first song.

On the same night some rap/metal band who were pretty crazy were playing. The singer was working his way back over the barrier after a bit of crowd surfing and slipped landing bollock first on a supporting beam. The entire crowd made a collective Ooooooh sort of sound as he doubled over in agony. He couldn't really sing properly for the rest of the gig.

that sparklhorse gig in the olympia a few years back was just plain awkward.

"does anyone want to get up onstage with us?"

queue tumbleweed

I remember myself and a bunch of friends got given ticket's to a Ned's Atomic Dustbin gig in belfast,none of us cared for them so we took our time going,by the time we got there it was called off. The stage had collapsed.

Before that,Carcass and Electro Hippies were to play in the Penny Farthing(belfast)The bouncers were not letting loads of people in and the organisers were obviously pissed off about it. So,everyone grabbed bits and pieces from the backline/pa and carried it down the street to Giro's practice room. This was the old Giro's and the practice room was pretty small,I reckon the gig was actually better for it but the inbetween chaos was just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back