Memorable U:Mack gigs I've been to (and a few I've missed) (1 Viewer)

Thayl

Since 1999
Memorable U:Mack gigs I've been at (part 1)

(I've included a few I missed because I was broke for most of the year 2000 but there was lots of great U:Mack things happening, I've left out all the 100% Dynamite gigs though, maybe some reggae/funk/soul fan can list them)

Decal Lo-Lite album launch (support from Anodyne), TBMC, November 7th 1997
The was the first time I saw Decal live, and I also got a free copy of their Lo-Lite album for being one of the first 50 people in the door. Anodyne was doing some excellent "noise terrorism" sets at around this time that scared the be-jesus out of most people.

Decal Vs The Wormholes, The Funnel, January 1998
This was my first time in the Funnel (best club in Dublin ever), I'd missed Plaid play a live set there a week or two ago (they also played at UCD the night before their Funnel appearance). Americhord (or Maura as she was known back then) was on first playing a drum n'bass set.

U:Mack (or Ultramack as they were known back then) called their Friday night club "Phunk City". It was on three Friday's a month with Pure taking over the fourth Night.

The downstairs part of the Funnel hadn't been renovated yet but once it was there would regularly be too floors of music. Dennis McNulty playing everything he wanted downstairs with friends of Decal guesting every so often, upstairs saw Alan, Maura, Droid, Slug, Ambulance, Anodyne, Dennis etc playing along with international guests.

Anodyne, Ambulance, The Funnel, January 1998
First time I saw Ambulance live

Autechre, The Funnel, 13th February 1998
Alan and Dennis supported Autechre with a DJ set. This was the first time I'd seen Autechre (or any Warp act), this was before people were using laptops, there was loads of gear on stage but I didn't recognise any of it. The place was completely rammed and Dave Cleary DJed after them. Definitely the most dancefloor oriented Autechre show I've been to.

Not so many people were on the internet back in these days so we used to find out about these gigs by reading freesheets/leaflets that people made telling everybody what was on. U:Mack had their own one called "Ultramag" while D1 put out a few issues of a freesheet called "Subtext".

U-Ziq (live), The Funnel, April (or May) 1998
Drill and bass tastic, once again not a laptop in sight (those were the days). Support from Anodyne. Droid (from Droid and Slug) DJed after him.

Andy Weatherall, The Funnel, 12th June 1998
First time I'd ever seen him DJ.

Kosmik Kommando (aka Mike Dred), The Funnel, July 10th 1998
Amazing acid techno set, place was a sweatbox, support from Alan, Dennis and Droid on the decks. Earlier on a band called Das Madman (who later went on to reform as the Jimmy Cake) played.

Buckfunk 3000 (live), The Funnel, 7th August 1998
My favourite producer ever, first time I saw him live

Richard H. Kirk played at their club on the 21st of August but I missed that, I also missed Christian Vogel (18th of September) because I was saving up to go and see:

Autechre (live), The Funnel, 25th September 1998
Second time Autchre played here this year, this time they were armed with fancy new looking laptops and played a lot of new material from their recently released LP5 album. Support was a DJ set from Mira Calix. (Aphex Twin and the Rephlex posse played at the Olympia the next day, a good weekend for music that was, I think MCD brought Aphex over)

I missed Speedy J around this time, he played in The Funnel on the 23rd of October, 1998

My memory of the dates in early to mid 1999 are a bit hazy but I saw DMX Krew, Jega, Cylob and Buckfunk 3000 (again) all live at Phunk City. I also caught Neil Landstrumm around this time too I think, that was a DJ set if I remember correctly. (Dennis has just told me it was definitely a live set as he showed Dennis all the new software he had on his laptop before the gig)

Skam night, Bola (live), Andy Maddocks, Rob Hall, The Funnel, 2nd June 1999
This was my first time seeing any of the Skam Records people play. I was a bit under whelmed by Bola actually, it was a bit of a dull set. Everybody else was great though.

The Funnel closed in August 1999, unfortunately I missed the last Phunk City because I was on Bere Island (off the coast of Cork) for some unknown reason.

Punk City at Liss Ard, September 1999
Super Collider (live), Carl Craig's Innerzone Orchestra (live), Andy Weatherall, Plaid (live)
The Funnel had closed down forever, the thought of this being the last official Phunk City related event made us all party that bit harder. It was part of a week long festival at the Liss Ard gardens in Cork, a surreal experience seeing all these acts in a tent out in the country.

Speedy J (live), David Holmes, Eamonn Doyle, Pure DJs, TBMC, 11th September 1999
I remember Speedy J playing an excellent live set in the main room and David Holmes playing a rubbish DJ set in the TBMC bar area.

Warp Records night, TBMC, 23rd October 1999
Plone (live), Plaid (live), Mike Paradinas (DJ Set)
Part of the Warp Records 10th Birthday celebrations. Plone were an interesting warp-up, act, they showed lots of Warp Records videos on three screens in the main room of the TBMC. Mike Paradinas was on before Plaid (a strange choice, I would have put him after) and played a mental DJ set.

Sometime in September (or October?) U:Mack started a club called "Softswing" which was on every second Saturday in Switch. They had guests like Phil Kieran (1st of April 2000) and Andrea Parker (15th of April 2000) and it ended on the 15th of April 2000. At one of the Softswing nights (the 16th of October 1999 to be exact) Alec Empire came down to DJ (after Atari Teenage Riot played at the TBMC) and, well, Dennis McNulty describes it pretty well:

"He came down to play after the ATR gig in the Music Centre. Loads of people on the dancefloor with 'What in the name of Jesus is that' looks on their faces. Me in front of the DJ booth trying to keep punters and bouncers from dragging him out of it. Hanin Elias on the dancefloor looking cool: mayhem issuing forth from the speakers, which sounded like they were going to explode. And Alex Empire in the middle of it, looking a bit freaked out, not really realising what kind of crowd he was DJing to, but pumping out hit after hit! As Shakatak would have it 'A night to remember'."

Dan Curtin, Andy Weatherall, Keith Tenniswood, Decal (live), TBMC, 22nd of January 2000
First night of U:Mack's new "U" club at the TBMC.
(I missed this!!)

(I missed Blake Baxter, Maas, Phil Keirnan TBMC, 26th February 2000)

Suburban Knight, Patrick Pulsinger, Pole, Ambulance, TBMC, 25th March 2000
Yes Suburban Knight *did* turn up for this, and he played a great set too. Highlights for me were Patrick Pulsinger and Pole's live(ish) set.

(I missed DJ Hell, Andrew Weatherall, TBMC, 6th May 2000)

Enter CD + U:Mack present
Decal (live, minus Dennis who was "doing exams"), Ambulance (live), Anodyne (live), Toirse (live), David Donohue (live), Phil Keiran (DJ), TBMC, 24th of June

Mike Dred (DJ), Autechre, TBMC, 22nd July 2000
After seeing Autechre rock the place twice in the Funnel I was pretty disappointed with this set. One of their laptops crashed during their performance and most of the people there weren't into the music at all. Mike Dred then rocked the room with a typically braindance DJ set.

U:Mack and Influx present:
Ken Ishii, Alan O'Boyle, Johnny Moy, Arveene, Redsettaz, TBMC, 26th of August 2000
(I missed this, boo!)

Broadcast, Decal, TBMC, Sunday 8th of October 2000
(I also missed this)

Two Lone Swordsmen (live + DJ set), TBMC, 14th of October 2000

Plaid (live), Decal, Toirse, Stephen Rennicks, TBMC, 25th November 2000
So very very drunk.......

Decal (live), Brainstorm (Pure), Toirse, TBMC, 9th of December 2000
U:Mack Xmas party
(I missed this)

(PART 2)

U:Mack started a monthly club called "Logic" in Issac Butts 16th of Feb 2001, Brainstrom (Pure), Toirse, Mcut I didn't make it to this, I also don't think there were any futher "Logic" nights in Issac Butts. Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Suburban Knight, Anthony "Shake" Shakir, TBMC, 24th of February 2001
Suburban Knight didn't show because of a "death in the family"

U:Mack Vs FES
Decal, Toirse, Anodyne, Deep Burial, Gibb & Killian, TBMC, 24th of March 2001

Plaid (live), Toirse, Decal (DJ), The Chillage Idiots, TBMC, 21st of April 2001
How many times have Plaid played here now? I'm still not tired of them. :)

Squarepusher (live), TBMC, 8th June 2001
Support from Ambulance, Decal (DJ set), Toirse
This was a strange night. The bar "SoSuMe" on George's Street had just opened (the end of it wasn't even finished yet) so I went in there to have a pint first before heading into the TBMC. The Music Centre was completely *rammed* full of people, and I was wearing my trademark fur coat (first time I wore it out actually).

After Ambulance played Squarepusher instructed somebody to put on a DAT tape of noise (weird drills, skipping CD sounds, no melody or rhythm at all) as a warm up to his set. That went on for around 20 minutes until I think Toirse started DJing over it as the crowd were getting restless. Squarepusher himself was late onto the stage and didn't play a great set (in my opinion). Some guy jumped up on stage and tried to attack him at one point but got grabbed by a bouncer in time.

Andy Weatherall, Radioactive Man (live), Decal (DJ), Toirse, TBMC, 16th of June 2001

Cylob, Mike Dred, Mad Dog Wallace, The Shelter, Friday 13th of July 2001
(I missed this)

Surgeon, Anodyne (live), Giles Armstrong, Decal (DJ), Toirse, Ross Carew, TBMC, 28th of July 2001
(I miss this too, argh!)

Aphex Twin, Bogdan Raczynski, Ovuca, Grant Wilson Claridge, TBMC, 24th August 2001
Now this was an interesting night. Basically the music was great until Bogdan Raczynski came on. He was drunk out of his mind and couldn't actually work his gear to do his live set (or whatever he was trying to do). In the end Aphex Twin came on, pushed him aside and started playing. Aphex played a pretty rubbish set in my opinion. He was DJing (as per usual, he's never played live in Ireland) and after a few Squarepusher and Aphex tracks and a couple of decent electro tunes that I didn't recognise (my super nerd trainspotter powers were still a work in progress) his set quickly descended into gabba nonsense. After his last track the crowd started chanting "Come To Daddy" to which he responded by playing Come To Daddy. Thumbs down!

The night after this there was a big illegal outdoor rave on a beach near Gormanstown (Laytwon? It was near an army shooting range somebody told me). Some Rephlex people (Grant and "Nick Rephlex") turned up to this and got to DJ, Aphex Twin wasn't there though (contrary to popular belief). This got a mention on the Warp Records website: http://tinyurl.com/3kzev

Decal (live, 2 sets!), Mcut, TBMC, 1st of September 2001
Decal played a more ambient, guitar/drone (eh?) set first and then a stomping electro one afterwards.

Alan O'Decal and Dennis Mc'Decal started the Bleep club at Bodkins on Friday the 28th of September 2001. Bleep then happened on every Friday and pretty much every DJ in Dublin (well the ones with decent taste in music) played there. It never attained the legendary status of Phunk City but it was a great club, always free in and a load of fun. As Alan said "The general idea is just to come down, get pissed and have a laugh."

On the 16th of January 2004 Bleep transformed into "Repeater" but unfortunately Bodkins stopped doing late night music so Repeater had its last night on the 30th of August 2004.

Speedy J, Mike Paradinas, Decal (DJ), Toirse, TBMC, 27th of October 2001
Speedy J played a more banging techno set at this which I was a bit disappointed with, I don't remember Mike Paradinas at this at all actually. Time to give up the drinking.

Skam 10th Birthday night, TBMC, 24th November 2001
Bola, Alder & Elius, Quinoline Yellow, Maem (live), Gescom DJs Me and Toirse were DJing in the bar for this. The Gescom DJs (I think it was just Andy Maddocks actually) were (was?) the highlight for me althought loads of people really liked Alder & Elius who did a live chopped up version of NSync's "Pop" and Prince's "I Would Die 4 U". Somebody also put on a giant vagina costume and danced around with the crowd during their "Bionic Vagina" track. Bola was pretty boring once again, he sounded exactly like his album, note for note.

Static Xmas Party
Andy Weatherall, Terrence Fixmer, Decal (DJ), Americhord (live), Toirse ,TBMC, 21st of December 2001
(I missed this!)

Orb DJs, The Shelter, 16th of March 2002
Alex Paterson, DJ Lewis, Dr. D
(And I missed this)

Decal (live), Ambulance, Vicar Street, 23rd of March 2002
404 Not Found Album Launch party
A weird gig this as it was completely seated. Great visuals from Pixelcorps (alias Tim Redfern).

Surgeon, Anodyne, TBMC, 27th of April 2002
(I missed this, boo!)

Warp Magic Bus Tour, TBMC, 7th June 2002
DJ Drexciyen Stingray, Keith Tenniswood, Plaid, Steve Beckett, Warp DJs Me, Ross Carew and Toirse were DJing in the good 'oul Music Centre bar for this, where the only person that can hear the music is the DJ, if he has his headphones on. Loads of amazing music, Keith Tenniswood played some electro version of the song from Match of the Day (if I remember correctly). Plaid had that robotic arm thing with them for the first time.

19th of July, Derrick May doesn't show at TBMC

Andy Weatherall (3 hour set), TBMC, 27th July 2002
Support from Mateo Murphy, and Decal (DJ)
Excellent electro/techno set from Weatherall where he mixed in Aphex Twin's "54 Cymru Beats" into some really hard techno track. I was just starting to buy electro records around this time (yeah I'm a big noob).

[there's a big gap here until March 2003, did I get hit on the head really hard or can anybody remember what U:mack gigs were on?]

Super Collider, Ambulance, TBMC, 8th of March 2003
Still probably the best gig I've ever been at. Jamie Lidell is an amazing showman and the rest of the full bad were also incredible. Unfortunately there wasn't a very big crowd at this, boy did all of you miss out!

Surgeon, Decal (DJ), TBMC, 12th of April 2003
Me and Toirse supported in the bar
First time I saw anybody using Final Scratch. Surgeon played a great set, but I missed quite a bit of it 'cause I was playing in the bar.

Ambulance (live), Spectac, Whelans 19th of July 2003
Ambulance album launch

Decal, Simon Conway, Smac, The Shelter, 4th of October 2003

Radioactive Man (live), Decal (DJ), The Shelter, 7th of February, 2004
This was the start of U:Mack's monthly Static club in the Shelter. They'd used the Static name before for some of their gigs in the TBMC though.

DMX Krew, Ambulance, The Shelter, 6th of March, 2004

Plaid (live), Decal (DJ), The Shelter, 3rd of April, 2004
Not one of my favourite Plaid sets but a great atmosphere as the place was completely jammed full. Alan played a deadly electro set beforehand.

Andy Weatherall, Decal (DJ), Simon Conway, Giles Armstrong, The Shelter, 1st of May 2004

British Murder Boys, Sunil Sharpe, The Shelter, 5th of June, 2004
One of the best techno sets I've heard in a while, Regis and Surgeon were both using Ableton Live on laptops.

Chris Clarke, Team Shadetek, Whelans, 22nd of July 2004
This was completely free!

The Bug (live), skkatter, The Shelter, 7th of August, 2004
Woo woo, I finally get to play at Static in the Shelter. The Bug had an MC over with him and played a Final Scratch set of hip-hop/grime/breaks before they did their own live show.

Decal (live), Metroneem, DJ Satamile, Simon Conway, The Shelter, 15th October 2004
The owner of Satamile Records made a surprise visit for this gig (he wasn't billed). Also the first time I saw Metroneem DJ (or do anything for that matter!)

Two Lone Swordsmen Live, TBMC, 12th November 2004
(Woops, I missed this, heard it was great though)

U:Mack 10th Birthday, TBMC, 27th of November 2004
Shellac, Plaid (laptop/DJ set), The Bug (live), Redneck Manifesto, Decal (live) Hang on, this hasn't happened yet!

Anyone remember the first Ultramack gigs in The Rock Garden with the free tapes and sweets? I missed the first one but I have the stickers and tapes from the next two.

Anthony said:
Anyone remember the first Ultramack gigs in The Rock Garden with the free tapes and sweets?
The best thing about Thumped is people like Anthony who make me feel young.

Neil Landstrumm was a DJ set.
He had a laptop in the house with some stuff he was working on but he was playing records at the gig.
I remember cos he played LFO - LFO, Sweet Exorcist and a few old Dave Clarke tracks from his Magnetic North label.
He had pretty much given up playing live at the time and was just getting into using a laptop to make music.

Thayl said:
Mike Dred (DJ), Autechre, TBMC, 22nd July 2000
After seeing Autechre rock the place twice in the Funnel I was pretty disappointed with this set. One of their laptops crashed during their performance and most of the people there weren't into the music at all. Mike Dred then rocked the room with a typically braindance DJ set.
wow, I was actually at this, when I still lived in dubland. autechre weren't great by any means, but the crowd were a bunch of pricks for booing them. not cool. :mad:

mike dred was great though. inspired the "terrorpogonaggindrinker" dance which bacame my trademark for a while! my buddy nihl was dancing by using other people; "the puppet bystander dance"!!! :D

Anthony said:
Anyone remember the first Ultramack gigs in The Rock Garden with the free tapes and sweets? I missed the first one but I have the stickers and tapes from the next two.

I have stickers and a tape too... but I don't remember the gig. I must have ate the sweets... Can you remind me who played?

best U:mack gigs in my humble opinion
Ganger, (the last) Jackbeast gig, The Funnel
Decal Vs The Wormholes, The Funnel
Squarepusher, TBMC
Fugazi, Red Box
Shellac, secret gig that everyone knew about in the Funnell

jimbobjones said:
best U:mack gigs in my humble opinion
Ganger, (the last) Jackbeast gig, The Funnel
Decal Vs The Wormholes, The Funnel
Squarepusher, TBMC
Fugazi, Red Box
Shellac, secret gig that everyone knew about in the Funnell
As I said on another forum (ie-dance), I'd pick The Ex last December as the best live U:Mack gig I've been to, and the Hell/Weatherall night in the TBMC about four (?) years ago as the best DJ gig (maybe my favourite single club night ever, actually).

Paul

Good Work Thayl,

I wasn't in Dublin for most of these but brought ya back some memories. That Autechre gig was a real downer. I had been digging EP7 all that summer and was psyched about finally seeing them live.Even bouyed by some trips, the gig was dour, kept hinting at killer build ups only to blast white noise back into nothingness. The row of openmouthed anoraks on the TBMC balcony is an enduring image though.

You've also brought back memories of a few of us up the front punching Bogdan Raczynski in the arse and tugging at his clothes as he flayed about. he kept getting tangled up in cables and unplugging shit as he flayed. Everytime the bouncers took to the stage he went in front of Aphex and got ready to dive into the crowd - cute hoor

photon said:
As I said on another forum (ie-dance), I'd pick The Ex last December as the best live U:Mack gig I've been to, and the Hell/Weatherall night in the TBMC about four (?) years ago as the best DJ gig (maybe my favourite single club night ever, actually).

Paul
So many good ones but THE EX in WHelans gets my vote too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back