Casual anti-Americanism (4 Viewers)

lurlow said:
What's a tootsie roll?

Sugar, Corn Syrup, Partially hydrogenated soybean oil, Condensed skim milk, Cocoa, Whey, Soya lecithin, Artificial and natural flavours.

Other than that I don't really know. Write to them and ask:

Tootsie Roll Industries Inc. Chicago Illinois 60629, USA

Not to be taking sides or anything but it makes sense that people that dont know you as an individual will identify you with what they do know about you or your country etc and with the US rep being in the toilet abroad etc, its an unforutnate consequence more than anything else. You'll just have to be twice as awesome to counter or accept it for what it is if you can, ill informed twaddle. But even positive steretypes can be a pain in the ass. Like yer man egg was saying about his time in hull or wherever he was. Basically, any time anybody has an expectation of you, positive or negative based not on individual experience but on national stereotypes etc is a pain in the twat.
Do a black flag and rise above.
Or do a Strong Bad and drop a train on 'em.

Not that I know you or anything but it sounds maybe like yr homesick.

jane said:
But I am tired of having to prove that I'm 'acceptable' before someone will stop acting like I'm actually a moron. Don't blame me for being offended, the blame falls with the people who are being offensive.

Well, you don’t have to prove anything. Fuck 'em, is what I say.

I’ve always thought that we Oirish, as a people, were fairly racist. But that’s probably because up to recently, we were always quite isolated.

I can see why people hate America. Or rather, their illegal and shoddy attempts at colonialism. But, as mentioned, that’s just one part of what America is and hopefully a short-lived anomaly. I think that, culturally, America has given us more then we have given ourselves. This may or may not be a good thing. I personally favour the former. But it’s given us some awful shite as well.

But I do have to say this: Yesterday I was walking up O’Connell Street, hare-dodging, when I noticed the Anti-War shower just standing there, near the Spike. And, briefly, VERY briefly, I got a Forrest Gump moment, where I just wanted to throw it all in and stand there beside, them.

Was a strange sensation.

alright, i have a bit of a confession to make

deep breath...i...am (deeper breath)... an american

there I said it

phew that feels good, i mean "awsome"

My parents are Irish. My family left America when I was three.

When I was very young, here in Ireland being American was "cool" I got to play with the older lads , people thought i was really lucky that I could come and go to the states as I pleased, America was great etc,etc

But somewhere along the way, and in my recent memory, Irish people lost a lot of , if not all respect for America, which has manifested itself in this present "all americans are stupid-let's treat them with the contempt they deserve" attitude.

I think this was in part due to a gradual realisation that we/the Irish had been licking Uncle Sams ass ( it tasted like Hershey bars) to an embarrassing degree for generations. At one time it was all JFK pictures on the wall, talking in american accents, buying "born in the usa" without 'getting' it...

I think a small part of the scorn the Irish have for the U.S. comes from a kind of defensiveness, and a discomfort with our US loving past which is embarrassing in this current global climate.

Of course the behaviour of the American government and the sometimes stereotypical behaviour of American tourists helps.

So all the above is born from the pain of the older boys not playing with me anymore and a marriage proposal for some lucky Irish colleen who wants a green card. Get me while I'm hot.

Dixer said:
You'll just have to be twice as awesome to counter or accept it for what it is

Oh, is that all? I hadn't realised I have to accept responsibility for what the government -- whom I do not support -- does, and be 'twice as awesome'. In fact, many of us are already spending enough time and energy trying to keep our government from fucking us and others any more than they already are. I, for one, do not think it's acceptable to expect that I will use ADDITIONAL energy to apologise to everyone else for something I'm already trying to stop.

Yes, never blame the rude fucker who makes generalisations. Let's just assume that the person who is being generalised about should work twice as hard to prove they are an exception to the assumption. That makes it better for everyone. No one has to drop their assumptions because the only acceptable [insert category here] are those who are 'exceptions'.

johnnystress said:
... a marriage proposal for some lucky Irish colleen who wants a green card. Get me while I'm hot.

Emm... thanks but, as a protest against US foreign policy, I've sworn to avoid all things American.

You are now dead to me.

:rolleyes:

I'm very upset about this... goodbye Johnny.:(

Farewell Squiggle

I guess it just wasn't meant to be

::clef:: But I know that my heaartt wiill goo ooonnn::clef::

jane said:
Oh, is that all? I hadn't realised I have to accept responsibility for what the government -- whom I do not support -- does, and be 'twice as awesome'. In fact, many of us are already spending enough time and energy trying to keep our government from fucking us and others any more than they already are. I, for one, do not think it's acceptable to expect that I will use ADDITIONAL energy to apologise to everyone else for something I'm already trying to stop.

Yes, never blame the rude fucker who makes generalisations. Let's just assume that the person who is being generalised about should work twice as hard to prove they are an exception to the assumption. That makes it better for everyone. No one has to drop their assumptions because the only acceptable [insert category here] are those who are 'exceptions'.

I can understand your frustration. I studied and worked in male dominated areas and had to work harder than everyone else to be accepted. I was from a different religious background and had to deal with the prejudice that generated.

As I said earlier, of course it's not right... but it's not unusual... EVERYONE has to deal with some kind of prejudice. At least the one you are suffering from, in that it stems from a prejudice against your nation, rather than your skin, hair, height, sex etc..., is not personal.

jane said:

Apologies, stupid thing to say. I still think though that people are gonna just generalise and there's fuck all to be done about it beyong recognising it for what it is.

johnnystress said:
Farewell Squiggle

I guess it just wasn't meant to be

::clef:: But I know that my heaartt wiill goo ooonnn::clef::

Ah, I just can't do it!

You can be one of my exceptions..

friends again?

:eek:

imagine being a muslim living in america right now
i'd say that's a blast

edit -
and i'd rather be an american living in ireland than eastern european, african, etc etc

Squiggle said:
I can understand your frustration. I studied and worked in male dominated areas and had to work harder than everyone else to be accepted. I was from a different religious background and had to deal with the prejudice that generated.

As I said earlier, of course it's not right... but it's not unusual... EVERYONE has to deal with some kind of prejudice. At least the one you are suffering from, in that it stems from a prejudice against your nation, rather than your skin, hair, height, sex etc..., is not personal.

Yes, and I also work in a male dominated area, and am already having to work twice as hard to be accepted because I don't have a cock. I've had situations in which I've been assumed to be an undergrad, a secretary (and I've been told by my direct superiors that I look like I 'belong in a typing pool'), the waitstaff, etc etc. The people who already know me seem to be okay with my lack of dangly bits. But I continue to have to work extremely hard to prove that I have something worth saying, and then, once I've had to fight really hard just to be heard, people accuse me of being a 'ball-breaker'. Which is fucked up.

I don't understand why isolating one kind of crappy behaviour can be invalidated by pointing out that it's the only one. Or that my pointing out that anti-americanism is a pain in the ass suggests that I don't give a fuck about more serious forms of discrimination, which obviously I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back