Casual anti-Americanism (1 Viewer)

jane said:
I try to ignore it. But I get it at least once a day, and you know what? It really fucking pisses me off, .

Yip. That’s the problem with intolerance. But if you let it get to you, they win. And you know that.

Still that’s wimmin for ye. *
;)

*© Albert Reynolds

Goff said:
Yip. That’s the problem with intolerance. But if you let it get to you, they win. And you know that.

Fair enough, but I did not agree to play the game. I just want to live my life without fuckers telling me to go back to my own country just because it's okay to trash all Americans. Very frequently, they are NOT taking the piss. It's not okay to trash anyone based on their nationality, EVEN IF you perceive that nationality to be associated with ignoble concepts or individuals.

So by saying that it's wrong to trash Americans, the intolerant prevail? And the only way to win is to shut up and take it? That's fucking enlightened.

jane said:
It's not okay to trash anyone based on their nationality, EVEN IF you perceive that nationality to be associated with ignoble concepts or individuals.

I was going to use this thread to drag Switzerland through the mud, but I suppose you're right. Best drop the hatred.

Switzerland 1
lurlow 0

Well, no. You could turn around and talk to the person who’s saying it and ask them why they’re saying it. And then show them that you’re not a baby-killer and you disagree with US FP. That’d work. Or it’d start a fight.
Put it this way. You’re not going to change their minds either way. So why let it bother you? Best thing is to pretend they don’t exist/mean nothing/have nothing interesting to say.

By all means feel affronted. Be offended. Just don’t let it bother you is all.

It’s not worth it.

Surely there are similar intolerances in the US too? I've heard American acquaintances of mine making comments about Cubans, Hispanics, Canadians, the French... no real need to continue the list... that were along the same lines.

I know that it is no consolation when you are on the receiving end in another country... but casual anti-somethingism exists everywhere... does that make it right? No, of course not.

Jane, the quicker you realise that most people are morons and incapable of individual thought, the happier you will be.

while ur getting anti americanism here think of all the people getting anti muslimism(?) in the states and realise that people are sheep.

jane said:
Oh, and also the fact that the non-EU fees paid by American students are the only fucking reason the Irish universities are currently surviving. They'd do well to stop talking to us like pieces of shit, or we'll take our money and go home.

Ah now, there’s more than Americans in Universities paying over the odds.

snakybus said:

Oh, you fucking know what I mean. They charge us double fees, and then they call us suckers for paying it. I am not implying that Americans have loads of money, but most of them/us are on borrowed funds. The Irish university system is not taking advantage of the wealth of Americans, but using the willingness of Americans to pay for their education to cover up the woeful inadequacy of university funding within Ireland itself. And for this, we deserve to be called names and denigrated at any opportunity. No one is asking anyone to treat us better than anyone else, just to not think it's okay to say we're all shit because our government is shit.

jane, do you want to meet up for a coffee or something ? i finish work at half five ?

jane said:
This is absolutely not directed at anyone one Thumped, just a general whinge. I just got back after a month in the States, and I'm only now realising how much I'm bothered by the amount of casual anti-Americanism here in Ireland.

Just wanted to say that.

'kay, thanks.

more of an 'anti-american government' than anything alse. lovely people. like most places, - they can be.

i remember when jane had some of the most anti-american views on thumped and said she was ashamed to be american and what not

i'm paraphrasing and they were obviously politically driven views, but i find it funny nonetheless

Goff said:
Well, no. You could turn around and talk to the person who’s saying it and ask them why they’re saying it. And then show them that you’re not a baby-killer and you disagree with US FP. That’d work. Or it’d start a fight.
Put it this way. You’re not going to change their minds either way. So why let it bother you? Best thing is to pretend they don’t exist/mean nothing/have nothing interesting to say.

By all means feel affronted. Be offended. Just don’t let it bother you is all.

It’s not worth it.

But I am tired of having to prove that I'm 'acceptable' before someone will stop acting like I'm actually a moron. Don't blame me for being offended, the blame falls with the people who are being offensive.

GORILLAMUNCH said:
i remember when jane had some of the most anti-american views on thumped and said she was ashamed to be american and what not

i'm paraphrasing and they were obviously politically driven views, but i find it funny nonetheless

Yes, I'm ashamed of my government, and painfullly so. And I'm ashamed that so many Americans voted for them. And I'm ashamed that so many people are still in favour of military aggression as a solution. But that's different from what I'm saying. And actually, I'm sure I did used to say shit that I shouldn't have said, but that doesn't mean I can't make a valid point.

in my experience, Irish people have always loved Americans

I'm half yank and my dad always had a great time in Ireland. People would go out of their way to be civil and respectful to him, and he always got courtesy and helpfulness when people heard his accent.

The older half of my family all have American accents, whereas the younger half (including me) have bogger Mayo accents. There is no question in my mind that an American accent gets you ahead in Ireland. Whether that proves anything, I don't know, but people do listen to you. It also helps that yanks are more articulate in general, at least in things like jobs and stuff like that. That gives them a leg up too.

Of course, things have changed a bit in the last couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back