Carrot Rope - Song Meanings (1 Viewer)

Thebeard

This website is hilarious:

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/77727/1/ASC/#comment

Benny-X
03-12-2003

Rated 0
It's about getting high. Marijuana, you know? Now I know you're thinking I'm just a stoner but bear with me here. Now let's examine the title first. Carrot Rope. Now imagine a joint, if you will. The way the paper is rolled might just make it look somewhat like a rope. And if you've ever looked at a carrot closely, you will see ridges going around the outside of it, much like the ridges of a joint. I also neglected to mention the fact that the actual color of burning marijuana and paper, orange, is indeed the same color as that of a carrot.
Secondly, let us look at the lyrics. "Carrot rope, feed my thrill, I got beat by weather." This could very easily be about the writers use of drugs, namely marijuana, to step away from his problems. He is "beat by weather" (not feelin' so hot) and so he relies on marijuana (the carrot rope) to feed his thrill. Some more proof, you say? Well how about when it says "It's my second hand wonder, a thing that recovers the doubt." Again, illustrating the writers reliance on marijuana to make him feel better about life and himself. Just a few lines later in the song, "It's of my design assembled at the cut." Now I could be pushing it a bit here, but you could refer to the amount of marijuana used as the "cut." The writer's high is adjusted depending on the amount he uses. This is a little shakey though.
"It's alright to shake, to fight, to feel," followed by "you go down, down, down, down." The first line could mean one of two things if the song is actually about marijuana. One, it could be one opinion the writer has about drugs, that it's alright to use them, "feel" them. Of course, it could be the exact opposite. Saying that it's alright to experience life as it is and drugs are unnecissary. The second line, "you go down, down, down, down," well that's a bit obvious.
The last few lines now. There is talk of this "wicket keeper" and how he is seemingly "down" and how "he gets me off of the grounds." I understood the wicket keeper to be a metaphor for the Malkmus' conscience. A conscience to tell you what to do, controling your life through morals and judgement, you know who I'm talking about? Well, he's gone or "down" once you've started on the carrot rope, right? In a sense, it gets you "off of the grounds."
Pretty persuasive if I might say so myself. And if you still think I'm just a stoner, I'd like to point out that most of the other people who have commented here are perverts. That's right, talking about masturbation, pedafilia, bondage, public nudity and the such. For shame. To tell you the truth though, I'm not actually that sure. I just thought it made a bit of sense. I have no explination for the "Christian lie" part of the song. Nor do I know what the bomb the writer is going to drop on someone is.
But come on now. Carrot rope. Looks like a joint, huh?

Can someone sum up what this thread is about in 4 or 5 words please?

"Don't waste your precious breath"

Its a gas site alright;

( GeeMo
09-27-2002

Rated 0
well....it sounds great...musically it's one of my fav pavements...but I think it's maybe it's about petafelia (or however you spell it)--"hey, little boy..." )

Is petafelia not non consensual sex with a lover concerned with the ethical treatment of animals?

"Don't waste your precious breath"

Its a gas site alright;

( GeeMo
09-27-2002

Rated 0
well....it sounds great...musically it's one of my fav pavements...but I think it's maybe it's about petafelia (or however you spell it)--"hey, little boy..." )

Is petafelia not non consensual sex with a lover concerned with the ethical treatment of animals?

are you GeeMo?

Just spent half an hour on this site reading people's interpretations of Duran Duran lyrics. Most of them are about wanking or getting stoned too, it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back