• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 1

RSJ

Website
www.gravelbox.net
Got a car, planning on putting in some good speakers as i'll be up and down to cork a bit, with penty of trips to the pale. Anyone had theirs done before? Tips? Like should i buy the stuff and get someone to install it or just pay someone to do the whole thing? And if i'm buying myself, what kinda things am i looking for in terms of wattages, makes, ohms, whatevers?

ah the good ol 'scanger my banger' disease, everyone catches it at some stage!!

i just bought a pair of 70w Sony 6x9's for about 50 quid and hooked them up to a fairly standard Sony CD head unit. it's not that hard to do but will depend on the connections in the car(connected to the existing radio). you will use connectors called ISO connecters, they may be they already but may not(depending on how old/new the car is). if you do not have these, prob best to let the experts at it, messing with car's electrics can cause fire's etc.

edit: 50-70watt speakers for the rear (6x9's) are definately sufficient. don't bother with amps and all that shite. maybe 40-50watt tweeters for front would finih it off. general opinion is that Pioneer's head units are the best. don't know who best with speakers but from my very limited experience, sony's are good

looking for a new stereo myself, car is jap import so has seperate radio, cd and tape, theres going a feckin massive gap left when i put in a new cd player!
also gonna have to break the fascia from around the stereo, and heating controls, not sure if i can replace it.....

tempted for this type of thing!!
bb_1_b.JPG

Jesus, that looks like the kind of thing pete would have on his backpack ;)

tripoli said:
ah the good ol 'scanger my banger' disease, everyone catches it at some stage!!

i just bought a pair of 70w Sony 6x9's for about 50 quid and hooked them up to a fairly standard Sony CD head unit. it's not that hard to do but will depend on the connections in the car(connected to the existing radio). you will use connectors called ISO connecters, they may be they already but may not(depending on how old/new the car is). if you do not have these, prob best to let the experts at it, messing with car's electrics can cause fire's etc.

edit: 50-70watt speakers for the rear (6x9's) are definately sufficient. don't bother with amps and all that shite. maybe 40-50watt tweeters for front would finih it off. general opinion is that Pioneer's head units are the best. don't know who best with speakers but from my very limited experience, sony's are good

Sound for that, head. I'd a mate in college who put two grand worth of amp, woofer, CD changer etc into his car. Used to use it to listen to stereophonics and such. Went on the batter one night and arrived home to meet his car in the last stages of being burnt out. He'd only insured the whole thing for the value of the car, not the extras. Incredibly, the car was only worth e1500 (with e2000 worth of stereo in it). Karma.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Sound for that, head. I'd a mate in college who put two grand worth of amp, woofer, CD changer etc into his car. Used to use it to listen to stereophonics and such. Went on the batter one night and arrived home to meet his car in the last stages of being burnt out. He'd only insured the whole thing for the value of the car, not the extras. Incredibly, the car was only worth e1500 (with e2000 worth of stereo in it). Karma.

yeah, you'll see the odd micra around dublin worth a grand with 10 grands of modifications done to it, don't get it at all. the funny thing is that, it actually makes the car look worse.

anyway just be carefull with the electrics, i've heard a few horror stories, it's not worth it for the sake of 100 quid or so to get install done properly;)

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Got a car, planning on putting in some good speakers as i'll be up and down to cork a bit, with penty of trips to the pale. Anyone had theirs done before? Tips? Like should i buy the stuff and get someone to install it or just pay someone to do the whole thing? And if i'm buying myself, what kinda things am i looking for in terms of wattages, makes, ohms, whatevers?

Best learn from my own mistake and don't go cutting wires unnecessarily if the wiring in your stereo does not match the cars....

There are plenty of adapters out there for most models of cars to match the stereo wiring if it differs.........could save you a lot of time/hassle

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back