Cancelled (3 Viewers)

This is it, you can't beat the classics.

I'm not saying there doesn't need to be deeper conversations to help society and culture in general. I'm just not smart enough to be involved.

caitlin moran put it in a similar way; you can distil it all down to just 'don't be a dick'. you don't have to worry about being racist or transphobic or whatever, if how you behave is just being decent to people.

Yep that’s basically it.
You lot are pricks, but you’re not dicks.

I don't think so either, but that doesn't help, really. Imagine being black in the US in the 70s (or even now) and listening to people talk about black crime rates. If you're not a criminal then they're not talking about you, but it feels like they are

Does it, or does it feel like whitey being at it again and framing black people as more inherently criminalistic while ignoring the links between poverty and certain types of crime?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does it, or does it feel like whitey being at it again and framing black people as more inherently criminalistic while ignoring the links between poverty and certain types of crime?
Erm ... I dunno? I was just trying to explain by analogy why I feel attacked/upset when people bitch about men. Obvs I have no actual experience of being a black person in the US in the 70s

My only real issues with women are:

A collective tendency to refuse to call out female bad behaviour.
e.g. women's role in the mistreatment of children.

Also a lot of the voices we hear in feminism are middle class white women.
Often these women are don't speak out for ethnic minorities or the poor.
e.g. International Women's Day or all the media talk about lack of women in the Dail after the 2020 elections, seemed to have a woeful lack of self awareness, ignoring that Varadkar is the only non white Irish person in The Dail.

If someone has relationships with men and don't expect to always be safe. Have an escape plan at all times.

I never had a girlfriend. So only have a very limited idea what shit I'd be capable of - better off not knowing.

Eek, it might be time to "cancel" this thread. Signed, A Woman. :LOL:

So much I want to write, but instead, I'm more interested these days in encouraging, as has been advocated for earlier, for everyone to just try and be decent. That there is misogyny all around is very obvious, it's very deeply ingrained, I would like for that to change, as am sure many men would. That there are many other issues as well... is also obvious - it's not a one-issue life, or society, one issue doesn't cancel out care for another issue - and so many of us are trying our best to do our best. Has misogyny materially affected my life? Yes. And feminism helped me understand it, and provided a coping mechanism, and that's feminism stemming from all classes, I might add. I am indebted to those women, and continue to be.

Respect is necessary in a civic society, between everyone, I would love for that to actually be the case one day.

@egg_ I completely appreciate what you are saying - and how difficult that might be - I have been lucky to have gorgeous men in my life that I respect and admire - they have respected me too, but I suppose it's that other stuff that's just ... terribly distressing. From my own experience, it's the most misogynistic period I have lived in so far, but I still, perhaps improbably, remain optimistic, it's probably because I am unbowed and am not going to give into the BS. And there is so much BS. But on we go! :)

Back when men were real men.

uFpBYhm6QB5qB9ZNqNMs34.jpg

for years I thought Mary from the Virgin Prunes was the coolest most attractive Irish woman.
1695931368988.png
then I realised 'she' was actually a guy called David.

EDIT: Mary's not cancelled or anything. he's still cool and attractive.
2nd EDIT: David Kelly not Sean Kelly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back