Buying albums (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

was wondering, how many of you still buy albums regularly as opposed to downloading or burning them off someone?

up until a couple of months ago i used to buy 3/4 a week, but most of them i would only listen to a couple of times..

now i generally just buy albums by bands i already like. does this make me a bad person?

yeah I download or burn cds of bands im not familiar withand then i buy the real thing if i like it. doesnt so much make you a bad person as an educated shopper

depends on cash flow though..if I have plenty of money in my hands, I'll buy all before me, but if money is tight..I buy nothing and get extremely bored.

If i get the chance to download a track of a new band, i`ll do so before getting there record.
I do`nt really listen to music/albums on the pc anyway.

Viva la turntable!!!

sometimes i could go for ages without buying cause i dont have anywhere to get the records i want from.

then i might get a load of money and order online or go to belfast and buy everything i want.

in 2004 i think i bought around 80 cds/vinyls

i dont download cds cos eircom still havent fixed the bloody phoneline for broadband:mad: . when the secret record shop was open i nearly always got one or two cd's, but now its gone i just order a heap of em from relapse or revelation records every few months

revelation are really really nice people. sent me loads of free shit and were really nice when i was doing the On The Might Of Princes interview. cant say i can comment on the ordering though cos i've never done it

i like buying albums. i've not actualy burned a cd myself.the only pirated cd i would own was a gift from the actual person in the act itself

i buy cd's myself because i like buying albums though at the moment, i haven't bought too many in the last few mopnths but i'm intending to buy a good few at the end of this month

i buy a good few albums from Plugd records and some from virgin and hmv and the ones i can't get in the shops on the internet.
also burn lots from friends and have a friend who downloads stuff for me sometimes.
at the moment all i really want is to get daniel johnstons whole back catalogue, some Of montreal albums and am curious to hear the arcade fire. theres loads more i should probably get but i just don't konw what they are.

it's hard to buy everything you want. download hard to find stuff on soulseek (a bit of a chore once the novelty wears off) and borrow the odd album off my friend for copying onto cd or tape.

tower and hmv grafton street after that. road the odd time. ebay is handy for stuff from the eighties and nineties although p+p is a bit steep sometimes. good for picking up boo radleys albums for a pound. use opalmusic.com a bit too.

Alan Remorse said:
revelation are really really nice people. sent me loads of free shit and were really nice when i was doing the On The Might Of Princes interview. cant say i can comment on the ordering though cos i've never done it
Yep - i`m going on experience from ordering/mailorder.Still, its my own fault for going ahead and paying - it was a while back so i may have caught them at a bad time.But i doubt it.
There`s 100`s more sincere DIY mailorders out there anyway in my opinion.
Super-fi records in England, and Phantom Limb in the states...shitloads.

Ah well.

If your buying rock or punk or electronica released on Independant/DIY labels, i always feel better buying it from a Mam and Pap store(Like Plugd, Murder City et al) or an online distro, instead of buying it in HMV or Tower.
But thats a whole different discussion.

Don`t even get me started on my hatred for Amazon!

haven't used opal for a while but I guess it's just one of many that's folded. even around town, a fair few have closed - Smile, Final Vinyl etc. doesn't seem to be any message on the site but there's no new releases or anything.

nlgbbbblth said:
Re: Opalmusic

I used get a lot of stuff off them; very friendly & helpful
but a good few months ago I couldn't get through on the phone and the website was never updated

wonder what happened?
dunno, but theyre still taking orders on their website and charging creditcards, which i found out to my annoyance about 6 mths ago.

Rimbaud said:
Revelation = one of the most evil rip-off Mail order groups EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i always found then to be quite good, unlike amazon. not to expensive, posted out quickly, usually give you free stickers/comp/promo/demo cds too. no problems so far...

Rimbaud said:
Don`t even get me started on my hatred for Amazon!
eloborate?

i've no problem with them. buy a lot of stuff in their "used and new" section, ive gotten some cool stuff hella cheap. would never buy anything full price from them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back