Buying a Mac (1 Viewer)

swingkid

Website
www.wfmu.org
hey

my dell pc is about 6 years old now and struggling to keep up.
ie. can't open illustrator & photoshop together, etc
can't really upgrade it anymore.

so i think i need to make a purchase.

can you get Mac Books cheaper anywhere, apart from getting them straight from apple stores? or the refurbishment stores?

yih, either refurbished or a 5% (or maybe 10%) discount on new ones from the educational mac store.

hey

my dell pc is about 6 years old now and struggling to keep up.
ie. can't open illustrator & photoshop together, etc
can't really upgrade it anymore.

so i think i need to make a purchase.

can you get Mac Books cheaper anywhere, apart from getting them straight from apple stores? or the refurbishment stores?

a mac is too good for you farrell

Weird, I was going to post basically this exact same thing.

I've got a Dell laptop that's always had loads of problems, but it's now getting on in years, and it wants replacing. I've been working on macs in one of my freelance jobs, and I'm starting to like them, but is there anything I should know before making the change?

Jamie, did you end up getting a Mac? If so, whaddya think? Pros? Cons?

My Dell is shite. Before that, I had a Compaq and it was beyond shite from day 1. At least my Dell is only a little bit shite, mostly just rubbish because it's very old.

If I don't get a Mac, I still don't know what to buy. I don't want something shite, and I've only ever had shite.

Thanks, dude!

Scary stuff: I've no idea what any of them computer words even mean. They're a mite more expensive than I might be able to afford, but I figure I might shop around a bit more this time.

Is it a risk buying a refurb if you don't know anything about computers? I mean, in case it has problems or summat?

Weird, I was going to post basically this exact same thing.

I've got a Dell laptop that's always had loads of problems, but it's now getting on in years, and it wants replacing. I've been working on macs in one of my freelance jobs, and I'm starting to like them, but is there anything I should know before making the change?

Jamie, did you end up getting a Mac? If so, whaddya think? Pros? Cons?

My Dell is shite. Before that, I had a Compaq and it was beyond shite from day 1. At least my Dell is only a little bit shite, mostly just rubbish because it's very old.

If I don't get a Mac, I still don't know what to buy. I don't want something shite, and I've only ever had shite.

i can relate, on the shite front. but, yeah, i bought a macbook (not pro) this year and i am very happy with it - it's beautiful in lots of tiny ways (like the magnetic power cable thing, which has saved me from killing it a few times), i like os x, and we're getting on great. not the most technical endorsement or reasoning for spending more, but there you go.

the one thing i did wrong was not sorting out software sooner - i still don't have a copy of windows and am about to run into trouble there - but that's laziness more than anything.

Thanks, dude!

Is it a risk buying a refurb if you don't know anything about computers? I mean, in case it has problems or summat?

I bought a refurbed macbook pro a few months ago and am very happy with it overall. Got it for 36% less than its original price, and anything it lacks in (RAM only 512 MB) I can add to it for a lot cheaper than buying it from apple. There's a commonality to Dells, Compaqs, HPs working poorly: they run windows. Pretty easy to 'get' software for them, if you know people in the know.

This used to be the case years ago but I find it as easy to get software for mac these days.

Sorry, I was referring to macs there when I was on about software. I think i'm becoming one of those mac missionaries.

Macs are the computers for the born-again geek.

Carbide, the non-techie recommendation is the only kind I understand. Essentially, if I'm not a techie, will I still find the mac a nice change?

And yeah, I'm not pleased with my PC experiences. I've never had one that wasn't a problem. My compaq used to crash randomly and switch itself off. It was called a 'mobile internet PC' but there was something wrong with the modem drivers and it was unable to ever connect to anything, and they refused to fix it, even though I discovered the problem right after I bought it.

My Dell has this thing where if you let the cursor go off the screen, the whole thing freezes and you have to force-quit and restart the computer. Apparently it's a problem with the graphics card, but no one's been able to fix it.

So basically, I wonder if a mac might not be better for the non-techie, seeing as it doesn't seem to have so many problems. And I'm wondering if that's true, or just inside my non-techie brain as a load of bollocks?

Essentially, if I'm not a techie, will I still find the mac a nice change?

I reckon so yeah. I hadn't much experience with macs before I got mine. The learning curve isn't that bad, kind of like a gentle uphill cycle on a sunny day. In my experience there's none of the shitty bugs you get on windows systems. There's also the lack of viruses and malware which is worth the extra money alone. Definitely go for a refurbed machine, or if that troubles you there are also discounts if you're a student (or know a student).

I reckon so yeah. I hadn't much experience with macs before I got mine. The learning curve isn't that bad, kind of like a gentle uphill cycle on a sunny day. In my experience there's none of the shitty bugs you get on windows systems. There's also the lack of viruses and malware which is worth the extra money alone. Definitely go for a refurbed machine, or if that troubles you there are also discounts if you're a student (or know a student).

Oh yeah, I'm a student, which is handy for that sort of thing. And I've been working on macs in a freelance job I'm doing, and finding them pretty good. The machines are actually pretty ancient, but they're able to do the job, and things are pretty straightforward. There's a lot more dragging and dropping of stuff, which is extremely handy. I'm still a bit nervous, in the way you're nervous driving someone else's car, but it's cool so far.

Thanks!

So basically, I wonder if a mac might not be better for the non-techie, seeing as it doesn't seem to have so many problems. And I'm wondering if that's true, or just inside my non-techie brain as a load of bollocks?

It's true. Macs are more intuitive and when you get used to it things are so simple.

They are also beautiful to look at and come with everything you need built in (wireless, camera, bluetooth etc). I've an ibook G4 and it has relegated my (more powerful) pc to the role of entertainment system... basically I use it for playing music, watching TV or DVD's and occasionally playing games I can only get for the pc.

I've never had virus problems on my mac - have had plenty on the pc.

Carbide, the non-techie recommendation is the only kind I understand. Essentially, if I'm not a techie, will I still find the mac a nice change?

this one did. and not just because it sets off my laptop bag just so. ;)

seriously, for reasons i don't really understand, the rage at computers when things start to go wrong hasn't surfaced once with my macbook - whether that's just os x after a long, long time with windows, who knows. if you've enjoyed using them at work and can justify the cost difference, then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back