Heartache. Bitter heartache. (2 Viewers)

Okay, I tried the target mode and it wouldn't mount. Tired to start up with the OS cd and it wouldn't take. Now I'm trying to start using the external hard drive with the OS on it as a last a tempt before paying buckets of money for someone else. It makes the normal noise when starting and when targeting made less clicking noises. Any ideas before I head to some place like cdr?

Okay, I tried the target mode and it wouldn't mount. Tired to start up with the OS cd and it wouldn't take. Now I'm trying to start using the external hard drive with the OS on it as a last a tempt before paying buckets of money for someone else. It makes the normal noise when starting and when targeting made less clicking noises. Any ideas before I head to some place like cdr?

No one? :(

So you've booted off the external drive successfully?

I'm assuming Disk Utility doesn't recognise the fucked drive?

I'd be hesitant to recommend running any disc recovery tools on a clicky drive, as you might end up doing more harm than good.

Okay, I booted it off the external. Disk utility got only so far then stopped. I used the data recovery II demo and it read my hard drive, I can see everything. The demo only allows you to get 1 gb. I tested a file and it worked. Should I buy the 99 dollar software and do the rest?

I've no experience with Data Recovery II, only ever used DiskWarrior (sometimes successful, sometimes not).

Google around for people's experience with it before you buy, I'd reckon.

I've already recovered most of my writing ( the one I had opened when it crashed is all garble) but I have all the others. I'm half way through the As of my music. Crossing fingers it lasts long enough to get through everything.

Is it a macbook you're using? You can install a new hard drive in those very easily.

Something like this:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343402

Oh, I plan to buy a new hard drive later today. I was most concerned about getting the data off the broken one. Once I get the important stuff off, I will switch it out. I had the computer working and running fine booting off the external with the OS on it.

I only have about 10 of 90 gb thus far. Fingers crossed. I took the afternoon off work so I'm just sitting at my desk and watching it now. It's like a kettle trying to boil. I'm on Califone in my music alphabetically. Ugh.

I'd be at Carole Hunt or maybe Crissy Moran by now.

My computer broke irretrievably last night.
"THe motherboard is fried", say the eggheads.
No more internet at home for me. Unless I'm on my housemate's machine, like now.

it's just my hard-disk and it's still under warranty, nothing irreplaceable on it thank god.

well unless you count about 50 man hours worth of Baldurs Gate savegames :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back