Ray Davies Part 2: 1972 - 1974 (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
Here's a copy of an article I wrote for the Frank's Apa zine this month.
The second part of my Ray Davies primer.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We pick up the story in 1972 with the release of Why Can’t We All Get Together which signalled a new beginning for Ray. A funky take on Shaft and a super hard’n’fast track by “R Kendall” (RD in disguise) called Truckin’.
Elsewhere I Don’t Know How To Love Him is bookended by excerpts from Superstar and is particularly wistful.

The year was rounded off with The Real Sound Of The Button Down Brass. Somewhat of a step backwards, this was a far more restrained record. The slinky Martinque is probably the best track on offer here.

1973 saw Ray up the stakes with the very enjoyable I Believe In Music LP. He contributes some dour vocals to the title track (not included here) but it’s on Heavy Water and Mach 1 where the meaty grooves and upfront trumpet come to fore. Beautiful City and My Love are less gritty but blissfully easy in their own way.

All In Afternoon’s Work is the commercial release of a Cavendish library record – number 9. The style here is big band and jazzy with some well-talented session players like Alan Hawkshaw, Alf Bigden, Alan Parker and Herbie Flowers. Check out the aggressive wah-wah rhythms of Leagueliner for solid dancefloor action.

The last album for Pye was released in 1974 and was titled Benny And The Duke. This was a contemporary take on a number of Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman tunes.
I have included three tracks.
From Ellington, there’s Caravan while album opener Flying Home sets the scene for a very enjoyably performed record. Hadrian’s Wall is a Davies original and is a moody stormer.

Onto DJM and A Button Down Party. This LP doesn’t have very much to recommend it aside from the relentless glam-stomp of Keep On Streaking.

This compilation ends with six of the best from the album Themes From The Exorcist etc. which was my first introduction to Ray Davies.
I purchased it in The Secret Book And Record Store towards the end of 1995.
It ends up on my turntable every couple of months and it was a real struggle to decide what tracks to leave off this disc.

My absolute highpoints are his languid (complete with spoken drawl) on Michel Legrand’s Cops And Robbers, the moog-frenzied Magician and a spooky take on The Exorcist theme that you’ll keep going back to.

Themes, it would seem, were the way forward. All will be revealed in November with the third and final part of this primer.

The tracks
01 Shaft
02 Truckin'
03 I Don't Know How To Love Him
04 Martinique
05 I've Been Lonely For So Long
06 Baby I'm-A-Want You
07 My Love
08 Beautiful City
09 Heavy Water
10 Mach 1
11 Leagueliner
12 Organ Grinder's Swing
13 9.20 Special
14 Caravan
15 Flying Home
16 Hadrian's Wall
17 Keep On Streaking
18 The Exorcist
19 Enter The Dragon
20 The French Connection
21 Cops And Robbers (M. Legrand)
22 The Magician
23 Bullitt

Source LPs
01 – 03 Why Can’t We All Get Together (1972, Pye)
04 – 06 The Real Sound Of The Button Down Brass (1972, Pye)
07 – 10 I Believe In Music (1973, Pye)
11 – 13 All In An Afternoon’s Work (1973, Pye) credited to The Terry Cavendish Orchestra
14 – 16 Benny And The Duke (1974, Pye)
17 A Button Down Party (1974, DJM)
18 – 23 Themes From The Exorcist etc. (1974, Philips)

Download from

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9LPEWY1G

I have pressed up a limited number of CD copies so if you prefer a shiny disc with a numbered inlay then let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back