budget valve amps (1 Viewer)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
there's that fender one Mark mentioned, the Epiphone valve jrs and

HARLEY BENTON GA5
http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_ga5.htm

"I assume that you're referring to the GA-5 all-valve combo? In which case, yes they are very good. I own one that i'm heavily modifying to fender Champ specs, but the stock model does sound very good. It has a Jensen 8" ceramic speaker, and Sovtek valves (not the best, but pretty good). All the resistors in the signal path are metal film, and it has DC filaments, so it's very quiet in terms of noise. 5W is still a loud amp though, this is not for bedroom use!"

"The Benton GA-5 amp comes out of the same factory as the Epiphone Valve Junior, so it's possible that Harley Benton guitars are in someway affiliated with epiphones. Imagine that, a budget Epiphone.."

for under 100 bills thats sort of deadly

the cheap one on Thomann is a "Champion 600" a re-issue of a 50's amp

The Fender Champ is a small 10-15w amp made in the 60's that was much lauded by, well everyone, Neil Young used one for his big old whacked out the world is ending distortion. They're generally considered one of the best amps for recording... cause of their low power they break up a reasonable volume, and they had small 8 inch speakers that broke up really easily too.

I don't think they make them anymore... ????

Still any of those small budget valve amps, with a few new tubes, could be great for a similar sort of thing. Lots of talk (and clear diagrams!) about people modding them Harley Bentons too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back