Looking into a new amp (1 Viewer)

Green Goblin

I don't really play my AC4TV much anymore. The main amp I use is a ZT Lunchbox with extension cabinet; though mostly I use a Korg PX4D through a pair of monitors, which has some nice tones but the higher gain tones don't cut well and have a lot of hiss. It's a good base for pedals, but has limited bass response and tends to round off the high ends a bit too harshly.

I'm probably going to sell the AC4 and use it to fund a new amp.

I'm looking for an amp that sound decent at bedroom volumes primarily, but also giggable; so no 5 watt mini tube amps.

I'm not too bothered by tubes vs. solid state if it's a good SS amp. I was looking into the Peavey Bandit, but I'm not sure I like the tones on offer that much. Primarily what I need is a decent amount of clean headroom for pedals, and an effects loop if the amp itself has good gain.

I don't want to spend more than about 500 euros(probably be going used). One amp I'm looking at, at the moment is the Engl Gigmaster 15. It's portability makes it pretty ideal but it doesn't have reverb which kind of bothers me, I'd also be worried about the bass response of the speaker. I have a Line 6 M9 and it's good to not have to use reverb on it so I free up a slot. Again I'm not sure how gone I am on the tone. I often tend to like more trebley tone and it seems to be focused on the mid heavy rock sort of sound.

There are a lot of great tube combos in my price range but very few of them are ideal due to the clean channel/effects loop requirement, and also sounding good at lower levels. A Tiny Terror would be nice but it doesn't have an effects loop, reverb or clean headroom so even if I like the tone it would be kind of useless for my applications.

I've also considered the Laney VC15, again for portability, and it's got a great tone but bedroom volumes could be an issue. Also the one tone that sounds really good and low noise on my PX4D is the AC15 model.

The appealing thing about the Bandit and ENGL mainly is the attenuation and direct out. I have a crappy small apartment so things tend to sound awful miced.

I don't know what I want at all actually, there's two amps I've been looking at that are pretty different and I'm unsure I want either of them.

i would fucking wipe the floor with you Goblin...no amount of beautiful gear is gonna change that...

same goes to the rest of thumped...

I'm looking at YOU Anthony Mound....and YOU fucking Snakeybus....

BRING IT ON MUDDERFUCKERS!

I dont even need an amp...I just have to think about guitars and I'm shredding the fuck out of it

Moon on a stick, that's what you want.

Anyway. You should be able to get all that for 500. Personally I don't see the point of effects loops so I'd get a Fender Blues Junior, master volume & reverb.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_blues_junior.htm

If you wanted something with everything and didn't mind Solidstate I'd go
http://www.thomann.de/ie/tech_21_trademark_30.htm

or why not get the bigger version of the amp you already like
http://www.thomann.de/ie/zt_amplifiers_the_club.htm

Other than that try and get an old Roland Jazz Chorus 50

I dont even need an amp...I just have to think about guitars and I'm shredding the fuck out of it

Good man yourself!!

OP, have you considered the like of a HT5 head from Blackstar with a decent 2 X 12?
I know that you said no 5 watt mini amps but a pair of V30s (or an other decent, effiecient speaker) in a closed back cab will make a 5 watter head scream.
I've gigged with a 5 watter that way and our drummer is pretty aggresive.
The crappy little 6"/8" speakers that you get in typical 5 watt combo are the weak link not the amp.
You can always mike the amp if clean headroom is a worry.
Just a thought.

I have played a HT-5, and I did like it, though it didn't sound great at lower(bedroom) volumes. 5 Watts after all as you say can be quite loud.

I know it's a cheap SS amp, but the Bandit is still looking like the best option; plenty of clean headroom. I might not have to sell my Vox then, might give it to my Dad.

I'm going to wait until the Engl comes out. If I get the Bandit though I can afford to get a new guitar. Both my guitars I like but are quite cheap and have had some problems in the past. I've also considered shifting over to maybe playing a Baritone, so the 10" speaker in the ENGL may not cut it.

Realistically at the moment I'm stuck in small apartments with not a lot of money, so I'm stuck with SS and low wattage amps for the most part.

Good man yourself!!

OP, have you considered the like of a HT5 head from Blackstar with a decent 2 X 12?
I know that you said no 5 watt mini amps but a pair of V30s (or an other decent, effiecient speaker) in a closed back cab will make a 5 watter head scream.
I've gigged with a 5 watter that way and our drummer is pretty aggresive.
The crappy little 6"/8" speakers that you get in typical 5 watt combo are the weak link not the amp.
You can always mike the amp if clean headroom is a worry.
Just a thought.

I'm actually considering getting the HT-20, as it's got a better clean channel than the HT-5. It seems to have a lot of clean headroom. It's got a more modern, preampy kind of dirty channel too that sounds good going direct.

For me at the moment it's between -

Blackstar HT-20
Engl Gigmaster 15
Vox AC15C1 or Clone
Laney VC15

I'm also open minded to some SS amps; like the newer Bandits, and the Fender Studio 85 that Johnny Greenwood uses has me quite interested. Since I can't crank stuff at the moment a decent SS amp might be a decent do me over until I have a proper studio or practice room some day.

Does anyone know any good AC clones? I want something that's ideally a bit lighter. I thought the Laney VC15 was, but apparently not.

I'm considering now getting a Super Champ XD.

I'm kind of against getting another modeler unless it does EVERYTHING I want; but I've heard so many good things and all the clips I've heard just sound so "clear". I'd be worried about how good it sounds at lower volumes especially if I did a speaker swap for larger gigs. At the price they go at, I could probably pick up a 1x12 and probably still not have to sell my Vox(I'd like to give it to my Dad). I can also use my Lunchbox as a power amp for the line out.

Anyone have one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back