High gain amp? (1 Viewer)

Green Goblin

I'm looking at getting a new high gain amp.

The amps I have currently are a ZT Lunchbox(extremely loud, small, clean amp) and a Vox AC4TV. These are pretty great for what they do but I knew I'd need another amp eventually. I was looking at the Jet City JCAs but they don't have effects loop or any real clean headroom, which wouldn't be great.

I'm looking for something with a good high gain tone that's usable for metal and stuff like Smashing Pumpkins(which means, of course, I'll also need a good clean channel so the Big Muff doesn't turn into mush like it does on my AC4).

I'm thinking about getting a JCM2000 combo, but I don't know how they'd fair at low volumes. I could try tracking down the 20 Watt version but that might be tough. They're normally 40W. A 900 too, just for something a bit different, plus it's switchable to 25W.

I'm not sure how practical these would be, I have a fairly bad back and left arm so I can't carry anything too heavy. Some amps, like most 2x12 tubes are a ridiculous weight. This is why my Lunchbox is handy(and my AC4 to an extent), but there are going to be times when I can take a bigger amp. However with a lot of amps I'd have trouble actually bringing them at all due to lack of transport, etc.

My budget's around 400 quid, since that's what I can get second hand JCM combos for. I was thinking of a Laney, since the VC15 is so ridiculously compact and lightweight for a loud tube amp, and Laney make high gain amps, I was hoping there'd be an overlap.

Ideally I'd like something a bit unique but at my budget I'll have to rely on pedals for that, again why headroom is important. Also the other reason I'm getting this is for more bass response, so if it's 1x10 it'll need to be a particularly bassy 1x10. I could always get a HT-5 and slap in a super efficient speaker, I guess.

I'm open to hybrids, Solid State, Modelers(as long as they take pedals well, which most modelers don't).

just checked thomann, the're selling B stock (light cosmietic damage) harley benton vintage 2x12 cabs for under €130.

DO IT GREEN GOBLIN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back